Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hunter Hines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    That?s why I will never boo Lane or call him derogatory nicknames because I know the level of defense he can play. Without his defense during the ?21 run I don?t know if we win a natty. This is all in his head and a couple of weekends to sit and watch might be the reset he needs. Every player has been there and even elite players.
    I booed once during a football game that I meant to direct at our coaches right before halftime. Can't remember which staff, as we have had many opportunities over the years unfortunately.****. I was admonished quickly by a family member at once, felt very bad, and have never done it again as players don't know who is it is directed at and hear it also. I am fortunate to sit on row 20 behind the State bench and have called out coaches many times over the years. Nearly went hoarse yelling for JoMo to get the play in for those two years!**. Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 04-17-2023 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    There's been a few. Chuck Knoblauch was the last i remember, had to become a DH because he couldn't make the throw from 2nd to 1B anymore. Steve Sax of the Dodgers got the yips too. Dale Murphy was a catcher but they had to move him to CF because he couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher without throwing it away, he was throwing balls into CF trying to make the return throw back to the pitcher. There's others but those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. It's happened to many pitchers(the yips), where they just lose all ability to throw strikes. Baseball is so mental and anything can trigger these things to start. Most times they get corrected but sometimes it never gets corrected.
    Mackey Sasser catcher (for the Mets, I think) couldn't throw it back to the pitcher...neither could Rue Baker of the Indians, but thank goodness Jake Taylor was there to get him back on track.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    Steve Sax
    Thanks, that's one I remember along with Knoblauch especially.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 04-17-2023 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Mackey Sasser catcher (for the Mets, I think) couldn't throw it back to the pitcher...neither could Rue Baker of the Indians, but thank goodness Jake Taylor was there to get him back on track.
    Yeah lol I think it was rehashing the likes/dislikes of playmates while making the return throw back to the pitcher that got rube going again! We need to hire Jake to work with Lane!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    It's amazing what the human mind can do, both positive and negative!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    In SEC play, he's hitting just .227 with 6 RBIs.
    Wow, that's defense keeping him in lineup numbers that has led to criticism for several other players over the years along with some harsh nicknames, including one of my relatives recently. King of creating nicknames hasn't posted lately. What's happened to him? Asking for a friend.****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    In my young baseball playing days (16-18) we had a catcher with a mental thing about throwing it back to the pitcher. A righty with a strong arm he nailed A TON of lefthanded hitters right in the side of the helmet while they stood in the batter's box. Took teams a while to understand he really wasn't doing it on purpose; it was something truly mental. There were however a lot of dustups with opposing teams until they understood his problem. He was the coach's son.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    This rejuvenated thread from weeks ago has some people contotally fused.
    Lol. It's happened to me before for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    There's been a few. Chuck Knoblauch was the last i remember, had to become a DH because he couldn't make the throw from 2nd to 1B anymore. Steve Sax of the Dodgers got the yips too. Dale Murphy was a catcher but they had to move him to CF because he couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher without throwing it away, he was throwing balls into CF trying to make the return throw back to the pitcher. There's others but those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. It's happened to many pitchers(the yips), where they just lose all ability to throw strikes. Baseball is so mental and anything can trigger these things to start. Most times they get corrected but sometimes it never gets corrected.
    I remember doing this when my coach wanted to try me out at catcher. Just kept nonchalantly throwing it over the pitcher?s head while on my knees. Like la-di-freaking-dah, oh whoops sorry coach. After 5-6 times and my coach yelling at me, I had to stand up to throw it back every time. Coach moved me back to LF haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    I remember doing this when my coach wanted to try me out at catcher. Just kept nonchalantly throwing it over the pitcher?s head while on my knees. Like la-di-freaking-dah, oh whoops sorry coach. After 5-6 times and my coach yelling at me, I had to stand up to throw it back every time. Coach moved me back to LF haha
    Lol that's a good one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Sax even had the term "Steve Sax Syndrome" coined. Gotta be a tough deal. But the yips are real.