Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Hines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Hunter Hines

There is nobody in college baseball right now that is squaring up the ball quite like Hines is right now. If you haven't watched his HRs, go back and watch on Twitter. His doubles are pretty similar as well. I would not want to be on 1st base when he pulls a line drive down the line. The ball just sounds different. I'm glad he is on our team. He's fun to watch right now.

Archimedes
    vCash
    He?s barely hitting his weight and leading the team in k?s. I wouldn?t call that squaring the ball up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    He?s barely hitting his weight and leading the team in k?s. I wouldn?t call that squaring the ball up.
    Wasn't it either Babe Ruth or Hank Arron that led MLB in strikeouts?

We have some big sluggers on this team.

vCash
    You probably thought Cumbest was a really good hitter

Senior Member SpaceWranglerDawg's Avatar
    vCash
    Did you watch this weekend? We don?t win without him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWranglerDawg View Post
    Did you watch this weekend? We don?t win without him.
    You might want to check the date of the post you're replying to. It was a month ago.

vCash
    He weighs 339 lbs?

He has 17 HRs with half an SEC season to go. Just on HRs, this is a historically significant statistic.

In his miracle year, Rooker hit 23. Let that sink in.

This is the best HR total since Renfroe hit 16 with a dead bat. That would have been 32 with today's bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There is nobody in college baseball right now that is squaring up the ball quite like Hines is right now. If you haven't watched his HRs, go back and watch on Twitter. His doubles are pretty similar as well. I would not want to be on 1st base when he pulls a line drive down the line. The ball just sounds different. I'm glad he is on our team. He's fun to watch right now.
    First baseman is the only guy on the field that really has to worry about Hines hitting a ball to.

Anyone that doesn't pitch Hines outer third and heavy off speed is an idiot. Him and Kellum Clark won't hit above .200 in conference play if they don't start covering the outer third better and having an inside out approach. They are tanking balls pull side which is great.

But in conference play those misses won't happen as often. They have to put pressure on the other side of the field or they will be easy outs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post

Swing hard in case you hit it... I guess.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    He hit .411 this week and raised his average 42 points and had 3 HR. He will be fine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    He hit .411 this week and raised his average 42 points and had 3 HR. He will be fine
    But still.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    First baseman is the only guy on the field that really has to worry about Hines hitting a ball to.

Anyone that doesn't pitch Hines outer third and heavy off speed is an idiot. Him and Kellum Clark won't hit above .200 in conference play if they don't start covering the outer third better and having an inside out approach. They are tanking balls pull side which is great.

But in conference play those misses won't happen as often. They have to put pressure on the other side of the field or they will be easy outs.
    Unfortunately, but true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

I thought I read something this week about Hines trying to use the whole field more and that coicncided with his current hot streak.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

Babe Ruth career avg was 345 and Hank Aaron career avg was 305. Avg means a lot more than the number of bombs you hit. It?s baseball not adult league softball.

vCash
    Babe Ruth career avg was 345 and Hank Aaron career avg was 305. Avg means a lot more than the number of bombs you hit. It?s baseball not adult league softball.
    You can't defend your comment so you change the narrative. Playbook of those with a weak argument.

1. Changing the topic from strikeouts to hitting ave does not win your point.

2. I never said anything about hitting bombs.

3. Insulting another view doesn't make you win your point either.

Hines is good at the plate, however you want to slice it.

Come on man.

vCash
    Him and Clark are the same players they were when they stepped on campus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

Babe Ruth lead the league in Strikeouts 5 times. However he never had more than 93 K'a in a season. Totally different era with strikeouts considered a disgrace by hitters and much different pitching than today. For reference there were over 160 players last season with more than 93 strikeouts.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I thought I read something this week about Hines trying to use the whole field more and that coicncided with his current hot streak.
    Yes you did hear that and then he proceeded to trying to pull every single pitch. I watched every at bat on his current streak leading up to the first Kentucky game. He hasn?t tried going the other way a single swing. He has been extremely lucky pitchers have made the mistake throwing him something middle in almost in every at bat.

In SEC play, no SEC pitcher should come in on him but go outer half and off speed a bunch. If they do that effectively and Hines is up there like a gorilla, his hot streak is going to end with a bunch of weak contact fly outs. Dude needs to commit to driving the ball to the oppo gap. But he won?t.

Babe Ruth never had to face down 130 pitchers in a season that can throw hard cutters and 97 mph fastballs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Yes you did hear that and then he proceeded to trying to pull every single pitch. I watched every at bat on his current streak leading up to the first Kentucky game. He hasn?t tried going the other way a single swing. He has been extremely lucky pitchers have made the mistake throwing him something middle in almost in every at bat.

In SEC play, no SEC pitcher should come in on him but go outer half and off speed a bunch. If they do that effectively and Hines is up there like a gorilla, his hot streak is going to end with a bunch of weak contact fly outs. Dude needs to commit to driving the ball to the oppo gap. But he won?t.

Babe Ruth never had to face down 130 pitchers in a season that can throw hard cutters and 97 mph fastballs.
    I would not tell a guy averaging .400 and 2 RBIs a game over his last 8 games to change his approach. Maybe once pitchers adjust, but not yet. We have no issue getting runners on base, but we absolutely can't seem to drive them in except for Hines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    But still.
    Clark is the bad one - he only hit .375 this week with only 2 HR. He's only raised his average 80 points since the Ohio State game.