Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selection Sunday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I may catch some grief for this take but here goes. I know if you make the NCAA you at least have a shot at winning the national championship, but realistically our odds are extremely low. That's why if we fall to the NIT I would not be disappointed because there we would have a chance to win the tournament. I know, it would be a "we're 69" but anytime you can hang a banner with the word champion on it then it's a big deal. Do I want to make the NCAA? Of course. Will I go on a tirade of kicking dogs and throwing things at my tv if we don't? No.
    Was thinking same thing. If for some reason we get screwed out of a NCAAT spot, our guys will be motivated and we could definitely win the NIT.

Curious what yall would rather have if given choice right now- Rather make the NCAAT and lose 1st round or make make NIT and know you at least make it to the final 4?

vCash
    I think we get an 11 seed but we might not have to play in the first round. I realized I don’t like calling it play-in-game either because technically those teams make the tournament they just have to play in the first round. It’s a bad term people came up with

vCash
    The play-in games should be only among at-large teams. It's so easy and obvious, it blows my mind that they make half the play-ins at large and half automatic qualifiers. Insanity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Was thinking same thing. If for some reason we get screwed out of a NCAAT spot, our guys will be motivated and we could definitely win the NIT.

Curious what yall would rather have if given choice right now- Rather make the NCAAT and lose 1st round or make make NIT and know you at least make it to the final 4?
    You would rather make the NCAAT every single time. The outcome is not predetermined and it makes no sense to evaluate it that way. You would rather make it every time. If you don't make it, you want to win the NIT. That's as simple as it gets.

vCash

Make the NCAA tourney. 100 times out of 100. No one watches the NIT or cares about the NIT. The country stops for 4 days to watch the NCAA tournament. Whether you get beat in the first round or not is irrelevant. You were there and 100 million eyeballs were on you.

vCash
    You all are crazy if you think it’s better to win the most meaningless sports tournament (NIT) than make the NCAA.

vCash
    What time does the show start

vCash

NCAA always.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    What time does the show start
    5:00 Central, CBS. Hail State!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    You all are crazy if you think it’s better to win the most meaningless sports tournament (NIT) than make the NCAA.
    Its because most of our fans are dumb as shit

vCash
    I think we get an 11 seed but we might not have to play in the first round. I realized I don’t like calling it play-in-game either because technically those teams make the tournament they just have to play in the first round. It’s a bad term people came up with
    So, is there 60 teams selected and then 7 other teams play for the last 4 spots or something like that? I haven't watched basketball in years so I don't know what's changed. I keep reading about us being a play in team.

vCash
    Agree. There's no comparison. Make the NCAA tournament and lose game 1 is a million times better than winning the NIT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The play-in games should be only among at-large teams. It's so easy and obvious, it blows my mind that they make half the play-ins at large and half automatic qualifiers. Insanity.
    Disagree. Texas Southern is an automatic qualifier at 11-19. They play in a crappy 1AA conference in everything but basketball and baseball. And the SWAC is a crappy conference in those 2 sports as well. Need proof: A 11-19 team won the conference AQ.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    I'd take a first round exit in the NCAAT over a NIT Championship any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    See I am not sure I would:

6 weeks of enjoyment watching this team kick ass, culminating with a trip to MSG where I get to watch them cut down nets and have the media and country talk about how we got screwed and would have done some damage in the NCAAT

?vs?

Having totally convinced myself we were going to win and make some noise in the tourney, I get up at 8:00am for an 11am tip-off, having not been able to sleep because of the uncontrollable excitement I had for our first tourney appearance in 5 years.

I dig in my closet and put on my unwashed Miss State lucky shirt. I turn on the TV to watch game but the channel picture is frozen due to buffering issues on my FuboTV. The frozen picture shows us having gotten the tip, 3 seconds of game time have elapsed and score is 0-0.

After 5 minutes of plugging and unplugging my Wi-Fi router, the buffer finishes loading just in time for me to see the beginning of an epic WAMSU moment as our opponent?s center banks in a 3 as shot clock expires to put them up 26-11 with 12 minutes to go in 1st half.

Only down 10 after 4 straight scoring possessions to end the 1st half I convince myself that we got this. With 3 minutes left in the game, down by 16, having watched our #7 defense give up 85 points on 70% shooting, 45% from 3, losing turnover and rebound battle, I break my TV in anger when Tolu fouls out on a moving screen out near the 3 point line in what ends up being a double digit loss to Dayton in a ****ing play-in game.

Pissed off and unable to get out of bed for a week, the sobs into my pillow eventually turn into anger and resentment that stays with me through the off-season and carry?s into the 2024 season, resulting in a half-glass empty negative outlook towards any and all adversity we face.

I start numerous Fire Jans threads after every loss and single digit wins. I no longer watch Quadrant 3 or 4 opponent games unless I see we are losing and then I will hop on Elitedawgs just to make sure the tone of the game thread is as negative as possible.

That was actually very cathartic.

vCash
    The NIT is the "bless their hearts, they tried hard" of sports. No thanks
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash

Dufuq? You take the NCAA 100 times out of 100

vCash

6 weeks of enjoyment watching this team kick ass, culminating with a trip to MSG where I get to watch them cut down nets and have the media and country talk about how we got screwed and would have done some damage in the NCAAT

?vs?

Having totally convinced myself we were going to win and make some noise in the tourney, I get up at 8:00am for an 11am tip-off, having not been able to sleep because of the uncontrollable excitement I had for our first tourney appearance in 5 years.

I dig in my closet and put on my unwashed Miss State lucky shirt. I turn on the TV to watch game but the channel picture is frozen due to buffering issues on my FuboTV. The frozen picture shows us having gotten the tip, 3 seconds of game time have elapsed and score is 0-0.

After 5 minutes of plugging and unplugging my Wi-Fi router, the buffer finishes loading just in time for me to see the beginning of an epic WAMSU moment as our opponent?s center banks in a 3 as shot clock expires to put them up 26-11 with 12 minutes to go in 1st half.

Only down 10 after 4 straight scoring possessions to end the 1st half I convince myself that we got this. With 3 minutes left in the game, down by 16, having watched our #7 defense give up 85 points on 70% shooting, 45% from 3, losing turnover and rebound battle, I break my TV in anger when Tolu fouls out on a moving screen out near the 3 point line in what ends up being a double digit loss to Dayton in a ****ing play-in game.

Pissed off and unable to get out of bed for a week, the sobs into my pillow eventually turn into anger and resentment that stays with me through the off-season and carry?s into the 2024 season, resulting in a half-glass empty negative outlook towards any and all adversity we face.

I start numerous Fire Jans threads after every loss and single digit wins. I no longer watch Quadrant 3 or 4 opponent games unless I see we are losing and then I will hop on Elitedawgs just to make sure the tone of the game thread is as negative as possible.

****in awesome. So much truth

vCash

NIT

You all are crazy if you think it?s better to win the most meaningless sports tournament (NIT) than make the NCAA.
    NIT
    Not In the Tournament

vCash

?vs?

Epic post. Because we all know what you mean. Lol

vCash

?vs?

This is epic. Kudos to you, dude.