Thread: World Baseball Classic for Team USA

vCash

World Baseball Classic for Team USA

Starts tonight. I hope Wainwright does Ok.
    He's past his prime and an upset could put the US in a bind.

The best teams are the US, Japan, and Dominican. May see Puerto Rico sneak in but they don't have the pitching.

vCash
    I love the concept of the WBC, but not so much the execution.

They need to lower the number of participating teams to 8 or at the most 10. There's just not enough talent out there to support a 20-team tournament.

Tonight, the USA takes on Great Britain, a fake team of mostly Americans, and most of them are minor or independent leaguers. Why is a country like Great Britain with 0 interest in baseball even in this?

At least a country like the Czech Republic (who also doesn't belong) is using actual Czech players.

vCash
    Is it televised?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Is it televised?
    FS1 is carrying some games.

USA v Great Britain today is on Fox I believe
    Last edited by State82; 03-11-2023 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

They need to lower the number of participating teams to 8 or at the most 10. There's just not enough talent out there to support a 20-team tournament.

Tonight, the USA takes on Great Britain, a fake team of mostly Americans, and most of them are minor or independent leaguers. Why is a country like Great Britain with 0 interest in baseball even in this?

At least a country like the Czech Republic (who also doesn't belong) is using actual Czech players.
    I see your point of view. But this is how MLB is trying to grow the game. It does create a tournament with teams with zero chance of winning but at the same time I think it's good marketing. If you are a Jewish baseball fan- some of those people are going to buy Team Israel gear. If you are Italian some of those people will buy Team Italy gear.

Baseball needs to grow in Europe especially. A lot of the players on Great Britain's team were from the Bahamas. I thought they were pretty decent. Their last pitcher was throwing 100 MPH. He made himself some money tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

Came here to ask about Great Britain.