Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2nd practice interviews. Arnett and Coordinators.

vCash
    I'm gonna add just a little to what I posted above relative to record.

Obviously we ain't beating Bama regardless of how close the game is. Refs (or the powers that be or whatever) will make sure Saban don't lose to little ole MSU.

LSU is very concerning to me for 3 reasons ...
    1) They're very well coached for the most part, even tho they kinda stumbled at end of year last year.
    2) QB Jaden Daniels is a stud horse on offense now.
    3) Perkins Jr is a super stud on D at LB.

Both of those guys are very, very good, especially Perkins Jr.

I'm sure other teams have a stud or 2 (or in Bama's and TAM's case probably several) and if we don't show up to play, we can be beat by them. But if we show up to play IMO we should beat everyone not named Bama and maybe LSU too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. Barbay has said he adapts to whatever personnel he has. And he has A LOT of experienced personnel to work with this year. JoMo didn't adapt at all and he also didn't start our best RB that would actually block blitzing LBs either.

Apples to Oranges.
    If Barbay does quote his offense and not what this current roster is best at would be like Moorhead

vCash
    If you wanna beat Perkins Jr you go right at him. He is not about that life. He wants to run and tackle. A lot like Devin White. Good players but they arent going to take on a block then make a tackle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    If Barbay does quote his offense and not what this current roster is best at would be like Moorhead
    It this happens then he ain't doing what he told CZA in the interview he would do.

vCash
    If you wanna beat Perkins Jr you go right at him. He is not about that life. He wants to run and tackle. A lot like Devin White. Good players but they arent going to take on a block then make a tackle
    Well then ... we probably should be in a shootout with LSU then and both teams may score in the 30s. We certainly should. If our D can slow them down then we good.

vCash
    It this happens then he ain't doing what he told CZA in the interview he would do.
    I'm afraid that "adapting to personnel" is often times in the eye of the beholder- and in this case the only beholder is Barbay.

I wouldn't be surprised if fans in general are more flexible than football coaches as far as what they're willing to do with players but actually calling the plays is completely different.

Most coaches have a "core" offense that influenced them- like the Air Raid. And then they add things that they see that they like to that. Which is exactly what happened with Leach's disciples and why no one runs it exactly like him. I've seen that happen with Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, and to a lesser extent June Jones disciples too. It's human nature and some of it is personnel dictated to a degree.

I'm assuming Barbay will in reality be no different. I'm not saying he's a liar or anything like that- because I'm sure in his mind he is adapting to our personnel. It's just probably not in the way most fans would envision it.

vCash
    I love Leach. think he is one of the best coaches of all time, not bc of the offense but bc of everything else.

But we needed to change some. True air raid is just the triple option. Its either gonna work or its not there is no plan B
    The thing that kind of gets me is we could have made a hire that would be an easier transition and fits our personnel better.

Barbay's offense if you look at his tendencies is actually very similar to Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Arnett should have hired AJ Smith as OC.
    Yep.

I would love it if someone in the MSU media asked Barbay about his thoughts on football analytics. I'm sure his answer would be interesting.

I also have a feeling that his answer might be lost because of video problems.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm afraid that "adapting to personnel" is often times in the eye of the beholder- and in this case the only beholder is Barbay.

I wouldn't be surprised if fans in general are more flexible than football coaches as far as what they're willing to do with players but actually calling the plays is completely different.

Most coaches have a "core" offense that influenced them- like the Air Raid. And then they add things that they see that they like to that. Which is exactly what happened with Leach's disciples and why no one runs it exactly like him. I've seen that happen with Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, and to a lesser extent June Jones disciples too. It's human nature and some of it is personnel dictated to a degree.

I'm assuming Barbay will in reality be no different. I'm not saying he's a liar or anything like that- because I'm sure in his mind he is adapting to our personnel. It's just probably not in the way most fans would envision it.
    Agree with this. Regardless of what a coach says, almost always they have a core philosophy and they wanna get their basic offense installed as quickly as possible, regardless of personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The thing that kind of gets me is we could have made a hire that would be an easier transition and fits our personnel better.

Barbay's offense if you look at his tendencies is actually very similar to Moorhead.
    I haven't watched a ton of videos on his offense, but what I did watch I might agree with this. I also tend to think he will run more than he'll throw it, but I don't really care as long as we move the football and score at least 30/game (conference only) with this set of offensive personnel and experience. Kiffen has done that every year at OM.

vCash
    Kiffin runs a gimmick offense dont let it fool you. I love to see what they averaged the last 5-6 games and especially after the first quarter

vCash
    Tempo the way it is done now is basically cheating. So defenses started cheating back by faking injuries. There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that on every single play. Teams should do it to OM every single snap and they would never score. There is nothing you can do about it

vCash
    Kiffin runs a gimmick offense dont let it fool you. I love to see what they averaged the last 5-6 games and especially after the first quarter
    Whatever Bucky. That's an average and OM scored 24 on Bama last year. Kiffen does tend to adapt to his personnel.

vCash
    I'm a wait and see. But I never purchased the whole "we will adapt" to... All that means is within that person's system. It never meant what some were saying that he would run Air Raid if that's what was best for the roster.

No coach can be great at all offenses.

AJ Smith as OC

Would have sat the SEC on fire.

vCash
    What an achievement. Hes doing the tempo gimmick. And lost 5 of the last 6. I couldnt care less what they average. His offense is a gimmick.

vCash
    Tempo the way it is done now is basically cheating. So defenses started cheating back by faking injuries. There is literally nothing stopping you from doing that on every single play. Teams should do it to OM every single snap and they would never score. There is nothing you can do about it
    I don't agree with this. If neither team can substitute, it's an even deal and nothing cheating about it. You sound like Saban now when he was whining about Freeze.

Maybe we need to increase our tempo. Leach got irritated a few times cause we weren't running plays fast enough.

vCash
    What an achievement. Hes doing the tempo gimmick. And lost 5 of the last 6. I couldnt care less what they average. His offense is a gimmick.
    I know. When we don't average but 25 or so and are in the mid-pack of SEC ... it won't be cause of Will. I got it.

vCash
    Oh I would 100 percent do it. youre stupid if you are not going fast at this point. It is an unfair advantage. The only credit it gets is that you do have to have a successful play to get it started but other than that it is in all essence cheating. Defenses have started cheating back bc it stops it in its tracks

vCash
    It?s kind of like hunting over bait or fishing out of a barrel.

vCash
    Truth

vCash
    Whatever Bucky. That's an average and OM scored 24 on Bama last year. Kiffen does tend to adapt to his personnel.
    Ole Miss offense is gimmicky trash. They're on a 4 game losing skid and struggling to score against average to good defenses.