Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luke Hancock Named to Buster Posey Watch List -Best College Catcher

vCash

Luke Hancock Named to Buster Posey Watch List -Best College Catcher

Someone better get him some help teaching pitchers how to hold baserunners on base or ??.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    They're telling us they haven't seen him catch without telling us they haven't seen him catc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Someone better get him some help teaching pitchers how to hold baserunners on base or ??.
    He's probably the best 1st baseman on that list!!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    They're telling us they haven't seen him catch without telling us they haven't seen him catc
    I'm not trying to turn this into a highfill vs hancock just going to point out some facts. Highfill hasn't thrown out a runner. Not one. So while RH appears to have the better arm, and I believe he does, nobody of the two is throwing anyone out. Which shows maybe, just maybe it's not just on the catcher. Highfill has 9 passed balls leads the league category by a mile in 6 starts. He's hasn't blocked pitches as well as Luke. Highfill is hitting well, much better than many thought he would at this point, including me. With all that said, RH is going to be a good player for us, really good. I'm a fan. But to act like he's Johnny Bench and Hancock is the catcher for the bad news bears is not only wrong, it's bad wrong. Our fans are absurd when it comes to Hancock, .....shouldn't catch, shouldn't play first, shouldn't be in the line up......YADA YADA YADA. He gets dumped on by our own fans as much, if not more than Will Rogers. Our defense gets worse when he catches bc he's our best first baseman and our defense isn't better when he's playing first bc we've had too many free bases while he's playing first. Neverming the fact Hancock is second on the team in OBP and third in OPS and BA. RAnt over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'm not trying to turn this into a highfill vs hancock just going to point out some facts. Highfill hasn't thrown out a runner. Not one. So while RH appears to have the better arm, and I believe he does, nobody of the two is throwing anyone out. Which shows maybe, just maybe it's not just on the catcher. Highfill has 9 passed balls leads the league category by a mile in 6 starts. He's hasn't blocked pitches as well as Luke. Highfill is hitting well, much better than many thought he would at this point, including me. With all that said, RH is going to be a good player for us, really good. I'm a fan. But to act like he's Johnny Bench and Hancock is the catcher for the bad news bears is not only wrong, it's bad wrong. Our fans are absurd when it comes to Hancock, .....shouldn't catch, shouldn't play first, shouldn't be in the line up......YADA YADA YADA. He gets dumped on by our own fans as much, if not more than Will Rogers. Our defense gets worse when he catches bc he's our best first baseman and our defense isn't better when he's playing first bc we've had too many free bases while he's playing first. Neverming the fact Hancock is second on the team in OBP and third in OPS and BA. RAnt over.
    I've heard very few people say don't play him at 1B and less say take him out of the lineup. We just don't want him catching. He's not even a threat to throw anyone out. At least Ross is a threat to throw a guy out. Ross definitely has his deficiencies, passed balls, but he's more than capable of playing back there. I think you need to roll with Ross, let Hancock play 1B or DH, and let the rest figure itself out. Luke's bat has been very good this year so there's no way he's coming out of the lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I've heard very few people say don't play him at 1B and less say take him out of the lineup. We just don't want him catching. He's not even a threat to throw anyone out. At least Ross is a threat to throw a guy out. Ross definitely has his deficiencies, passed balls, but he's more than capable of playing back there. I think you need to roll with Ross, let Hancock play 1B or DH, and let the rest figure itself out. Luke's bat has been very good this year so there's no way he's coming out of the lineup.
    There have been plenty of people saying he should sit, whether here or on other boards. And based on what i posted, we haven't given up anything w Hancock catching. Like i said, RH hasn't thrown out anyone either. And the PB/WP are way more w him. Like I said, I like Ross and his future, but we can't have a pb a game and he avg more than one. NOt even counting the blockable balls he's runners advance on. Again, I'm not saying don't play Ross, I'm just saying he's not better today. They need to mix and match it and they will I think.

vCash
    There have been plenty of people saying he should sit, whether here or on other boards. And based on what i posted, we haven't given up anything w Hancock catching. Like i said, RH hasn't thrown out anyone either. And the PB/WP are way more w him. Like I said, I like Ross and his future, but we can't have a pb a game and he avg more than one. NOt even counting the blockable balls he's runners advance on. Again, I'm not saying don't play Ross, I'm just saying he's not better today. They need to mix and match it and they will I think.
    Ross is a true freshman being throwing into the gold. Kinda like Forsythe was. He will come around with more reps. Just Like Dakota, Mershaun (sp), Lane Forsythe, Lo, Chance and Loftin. They needs reps. Our young guys are going to be very very special and as I have said all year, we are an extremely young team. Ross will get better about the pass balls.

I know a lot of people don’t want to hear it after last year, but we have a chance to be very very stout next year and also be special come 2025.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Ross is a true freshman being throwing into the gold. Kinda like Forsythe was. He will come around with more reps. Just Like Dakota, Mershaun (sp), Lane Forsythe, Lo, Chance and Loftin. They needs reps. Our young guys are going to be very very special and as I have said all year, we are an extremely young team. Ross will get better about the pass balls.

I know a lot of people don’t want to hear it after last year, but we have a chance to be very very stout next year and also be special come 2025.
    Agree w all you said. He's going to be a good one and has to get his feet wet now no doubt

vCash
    Ross is super athletic and has a very good arm and has a great future. That being said he's not very polished yet. He doesn't get settled back there, he's jittery and moving around to much before the pitch, half the time he's not even set when the pitch is on the way, which is causing him balance issues. These issues are why he's having problems with passed balls and blocking and it's also costing us strikes because pitchers are trying to hit a moving target some of the time and umpires HATE catchers who don't get setup and quiet. He's got a bright future but he's got work to do. Less hyper and more quiet. Some scouts don't even see him as a catcher in pro ball, mostly because of his speed and athleticism.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

Great post and you're dead on about next year and 25.

vCash
    Someone explain to me how Foxhall gets eviscerated for not being able to manage an entire staff, yet Cheese gets a pass for being unable to coach up a position of 2???

In reality, I don't care... I just find it fascinating...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Someone explain to me how Foxhall gets eviscerated for not being able to manage an entire staff, yet Cheese gets a pass for being unable to coach up a position of 2???

Most people just want us to win. They go with the hot topic of who to blame. Who should play. Who should never play. Etc. I've read on a couple of boards Mershon should be the starter the rest of the season. Maybe he plays welll enough that he wins it but let's not go crazy and base it off of one game!!!. And yes I've watched him numerous times in preseason and he's gonna be a really good player........ heck my man 7 can change his thoughts 3 times of we suck to we are great back to we suck all in the course of one thirty minute inning. .... sorry 7. You are my man and knew you wouldn't be offended !

vCash
    Most people just want us to win. They go with the hot topic of who to blame. Who should play. Who should never play. Etc. I've read on a couple of boards Mershon should be the starter the rest of the season. Maybe he plays welll enough that he wins it but let's not go crazy and base it off of one game!!!. And yes I've watched him numerous times in preseason and he's gonna be a really good player........ heck my man 7 can change his thoughts 3 times of we suck to we are great back to we suck all in the course of one thirty minute inning. .... sorry 7. You are my man and knew you wouldn't be offended !
    That was hilarious

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post

Cheese is actually a really good catching Coach. Becoming proficient at catching takes a ton of work and reps. He helped develop Lotan who was a high draft pick and Luke also does a lot of things well as a catcher(blocking,receiving, etc) he just doesn't have the arm of Lotan or Highfill(Luke's arm was actually above average in high school but a shoulder injury he had has never really come back), he does a good job back there. I've got confidence cheese will develop Highfill too, as the kid is really talented. A lot of folks don't understand all that goes into catching, heck it's almost as complex as becoming a qb so it takes time and with each level you go up there's more responsibility

vCash
    I'm a roller coaster for sure.

Since my "fire lemonis" thread, I haven't gotten in a game thread. I read my thread later, and I thought it was much like my stupid tirade on Jans for the Florida loss... Jans proved me wrong, and I hope lemons can turn it around also.

And no, I'm not offended at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Since my "fire lemonis" thread, I haven't gotten in a game thread. I read my thread later, and I thought it was much like my stupid tirade on Jans for the Florida loss... Jans proved me wrong, and I hope lemons can turn it around also.

I admire you for calling it on yourself!! You keep it fun. And real though.

vCash
    I admire you for calling it on yourself!! You keep it fun. And real though.
    7 is definitely the best at calling himself out and admitting when he's wrong. He's alright!

vCash

That drunk Jan's tirade made up for all your Jimbo love. Entertainment at its finest 😂

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    That drunk Jan's tirade made up for all your Jimbo love. Entertainment at its finest 😂
    Lol yes it did!

vCash

Hell 7 I've pre fired Lemonis at least 4 times this year and I was ready to excommunicate Austin Williams from the University after the LSU game. We're all passionate fans, that's why we're on message boards.