Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboys

vCash

Cowboys

#AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    He's won more significant games than any coach we've ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    He's won more significant games than any coach we've ever had.
    Well Bruce did coach here under Jackie. Not a HC but a OC.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    He would fit right in as a State fan

vCash
    He has a .614 winning % as an nfl coach.

vCash
    If a coach truly believes that running the ball rests his defense, then that is a coach who the game has passed by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    If a coach truly believes that running the ball rests his defense, then that is a coach who the game has passed by.
    Whoever said you have to run the AR and throw it 70+ percent never knew it.....

vCash
    https://sloanreview.mit.edu/audio/th...y-mostly-dead/

Ted Nguyen: Yeah. There?s this old idea that if you run the ball, if you?re the more physical team, then it?s going to lead to wins. It?s going to lead to you beating down on opponents and all that. But just looking at the data over the years, a lot of the analytics experts have concluded that passing just has become a lot more efficient than running the ball. Some of the conclusions they?ve come to [are] offensive scoring in the NFL has increased over time, and that correlates with passing that has increased over time. And I think a lot of that has to do with the rule changes to make passing easier. Quarterbacks are becoming better; they?re getting better coaching at the lower levels. So it?s becoming more efficient. And the data on the stats [shows that] passing is just a much more efficient way of moving the ball than running right now.

vCash
    Football is changing much like baseball did years ago. Teams are making play calls based on probability and down and distance and based on a teams weaknesses. The Super Bowl this year was very analytically driven and it was one of the most entertaining games I have ever watched.

The idea that you have to establish the run and that the run sets up play action has been proven false in multiple studies. Four of the main 5-6 offenses that the NFL uses are pass first driven- Bill Walsh WCO, Air Coryell, the Air Raid, and Run and Shoot. There is a reason for that. You score more points when you pass.

This is going on in the NFL now- I suspect it will trickle down to college in the next few years.

It's kind of silly when you think about it- essentially what McCarthy is saying is "I would rather rest my defense than score more points." Which is crazy because the whole point is to score points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    I?m personally a little tired of analytics in most fields.

I assume sports analytics started by reviewing past data. Well that dataset was FULL of HUMAN decisions, often times based on intuition/experience, so the data includes human decisions, feel, etc.

Similar to markets, and most other things. I love data and numbers and wish things were that easy, but I no longer believe decisions can routinely be made using just numbers.
    Analytics has data has to have context. That's the best way to use analytics.

To me, analytics either confirms what we think is true or it shows us that what we thought was true really wasn't right. It serves as a guide.

People also have to understand that analytics is talking about probabilities. Meaning isn't simply stating the chance that something will or will not work. You may call a play that has a 75% chance of working however there is still a 25% chance it won't work. So if you call that play and it doesn't work statistically it doesn't mean that you made a bad call.

vCash
    #1 nfl defense, SF
    #2 Philly
    #3 Washington

SF off breakdown...
    512 passes, 504 rushes

Philly offensive breakdown...
    536 passes, 544 rushes

Washington off breAkdown...
    554 passes, 538 rushes

All 3 were top 10 in total rushes

vCash
    Time of possession isn't a good stat. Total number of plays a defense has to defend against is a much better one. It doesn't matter if the defense is on the field 40 minutes because the offense ran the clock to 1 second each time if they still only defended 60 plays. Now if they defended 90 plays, they are going to be absolutely worn out.

vCash
    Got to love those who still believe the running game is the most important aspect of offense

vCash
    you know why the pass has become more prevalent and efficient.... cause you cant hit the QB or WR anymore without getting a penalty called!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BorneDawg View Post
    you know why the pass has become more prevalent and efficient.... cause you cant hit the QB or WR anymore without getting a penalty called!!
    It?s because passing is the most efficient way of moving the football and scoring.

vCash
    What?s the turnover ratio of pass vs rush?
    Last edited by Thick; 03-03-2023 at 10:17 AM.

vCash
    It?s because passing is the most efficient way of moving the football and scoring.
    You have to acknowledged that at least a piece of that efficiency is because WR don't have to worry about a Ronnie Lott separating their head from their body coming over middle and CB can't be as aggressive defending WR. That has helped making efficiency in passing better.

vCash
    Ted Nguyen: I think that the analytics community wants to see a team really air out the ball and test the limits of how much you can pass without running the ball (or running the ball at a minimum). And I don?t think we?ve seen a team really push the limits throughout the season. We might see it with the Arizona Cardinals this year with Kliff Kingsbury coming in with his Air Raid offense. I think that they want more teams to do this, and that way, they get more data and see how far you can push the pass game.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Ted Nguyen: I think that the analytics community wants to see a team really air out the ball and test the limits of how much you can pass without running the ball (or running the ball at a minimum). And I don?t think we?ve seen a team really push the limits throughout the season. We might see it with the Arizona Cardinals this year with Kliff Kingsbury coming in with his Air Raid offense. I think that they want more teams to do this, and that way, they get more data and see how far you can push the pass game.
    How'd that work out for ol' Kliff? lol