Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cowboys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If you have Brady, Mahomes, or burrow, you should absolutely air it out. What about the 25 or so nfl teams that don't have elite qbs? Do you think hurts woulda been an mvp candidate if he threw it 60+%? I don't. The threat of his run made the pass effective

You realize there's different ways to win, right?
    No .. just one way to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It has helped.

However, the 49ers of the 1980's were pretty analytical with how they ran their offense even though I don't think Bill Walsh realized it at the time. And they consistently had one of the best offenses in the 1980's with a pass first run the clock out philosophy. Same with the San Diego Chargers of that time as far as putting up point although they didn't win as much under Coryell because their defense wasn't very good.

So, I think that shows that passing the ball first would have worked even with stricter rules.

I would like to see MSU actually get ahead of this in football (for once) and run the offense analytically. And for the record Leach wasn't always analytical with his play calling. Like passing on third and one for example or inside the 6 yard line. Probably the most analytical offense I've seen in the SEC was LSU in 2019. I think MSU should strive to model that scheme. Before others do. And we get behind again.
    In the article I linked earlier, Ted Nguyen mentioned that the analytics community wants to see a coach test the limits of the passing game to give them more data. Mike Leach would have been that coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    In the article I linked earlier, Ted Nguyen mentioned that the analytics community wants to see a coach test the limits of the passing game to give them more data. Mike Leach would have been that coach.
    Yes but that would only establish outliers. That's never going to really happen because coaches are paid to win the game the best way possible. Sure some are stuck in the past like McCarthy. But most will come around because they would rather trust Bill Walsh than say Greg Davis. (Shot fired)

But there are studies that say you should pass basically every time except for third and one. I think that's a gross generalization rather than fact because everything has to have context to it. I've seen studies that show that if it's second and five and the other team has a weak running defense you might be better off running the ball in that instance for example. And where you are on the field absolutely matters with play calling. For example if you are inside the 6 yard line and it's first down you are better off running it in that situation than you are passing it.

That's what I want to see from MSU. Is actual data driven play calling based on analytics, context, and scouting. Whether that's run or pass. (Most of the time that will be pass as you and I know) But I'm fine running it if it's warranted and that is indeed more productive if it's based on those three things. We both agree that Jackie Sherrill running straight ahead into a 9 man box and Dan Mullen running a QB draw on 4th and 8 against Alabama is...well dumb.

vCash
    SF 50.4% pass heavy
    Philly 50.7% run heavy
    Wash 50.7% pass heavy

So 50/50
    Now do the Chiefs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Now do the Chiefs.
    Chiefs weren't a top defense.

vCash

You have "analytics" confused with 'forecasting', which is just a part of analytics.

Analytics is a systematic analysis of data, historical and future predictions.

vCash
    I don't even follow the cowboys, but I know Elliott is being cut/restructured. Do you keep up with them?

vCash
    I don't even follow the cowboys, but I know Elliott is being cut/restructured. Do you keep up with them?
    I follow them from afar because of Dak. I'm not a Cowboys fan though.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Nothing official yet, wanted to get pollard done first I think. Zeke may not be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I follow them from afar because of Dak. I'm not a Cowboys fan though.
    Gotcha.

That tweet is deceptive. Elliott is being cut or taking a huge pay cut to stay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Nothing official yet, wanted to get pollard done first I think. Zeke may not be here
    Pollard is going to get franchise tagged. I think Zeke gets cut.

vCash
    Zeke is gone.

vCash
    Just read a chart on final rating of pass protection for QB in NFL. Dallas #22. Giving QB's so much $ limits ability to surround them with good players. Jerry threw this at Dak this week, but his 3 potential 3 RB's (#3 at about $769K) will be highest paid in league unless something done about Zeke. KC also facing losing big names again due to Mahomes $. This and allowing them to not be hit and slide after running downfield is ruining the game.

vCash
    Jerry Jones is Hugh Freeze on steriods.

vCash
    Zeke is either gone or reworking his contract to beans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Just read a chart on final rating of pass protection for QB in NFL. Dallas #22. Giving QB's so much $ limits ability to surround them with good players. Jerry threw this at Dak this week, but his 3 potential 3 RB's (#3 at about $769K) will be highest paid in league unless something done about Zeke. KC also facing losing big names again due to Mahomes $. This and allowing them to not be hit and slide after running downfield is ruining the game.
    Dak won't even be a top 10 paid QB this year. His salary isn't what some think. He got upfront money and is likely to rework next year too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Dak won't even be a top 10 paid QB this year. His salary isn't what some think. He got upfront money and is likely to rework next year too.
    Carr got a 4-year 150 million deal (100 guaranteed). This will most likely be in the 12-15 range by the end of the offseason

vCash
    Carr got a 4-year 150 million deal (100 guaranteed). This will most likely be in the 12-15 range by the end of the offseason
    Raider? He cried at a press conference after one of their many losses. What would Ken "Snake" Stabler, Darrell "The Mad Bomber" Lamonica, Ted "The Stork" Hendricks, Skip "Dr. Death" Thomas, Dave "The Ghost" Casper, George Blanda, Jack "They Call Me Assassin" Tatum, many more think. BTW, Al would be ashamed on what the Raiders have become under his "Dumb and Dumber Haircut" son Mark.