Thread: Rick Stansbury's success

vCash

Rick Stansbury's success

I recently looked at WKU's record and see Stans has them at 15-14(7-11). WKU was picked to finish 2nd in Conference USA and Stans brought in some really good talent to WKU, Jairus Hamilton a Maryland transfer, Dontaie Allen is a UK transfer, Emmanuel Akot came from Arizona and Boise State he was a hot commodity in the portal (Jans tried getting him), Jamarion Sharp the 7'5" athlete who entered the portal and everyone wanted him but he decided to stay. He also had 2 good gaurds in McKnight and Frampton.

As good as both Stansbury and even Howland are/were at recruiting their respective teams never had a ton of success. There is no reason WKU shouldn't be in the top 3 in Conference USA with that roster. I really hope Jans can get some good recruits in going forward because he is a hell of a coach!

vCash
    I believe Coach Stansbury was out for a part of the season for medical reasons. I think their team did the best they could while he was gone.

vCash
    Thats fair, but this has been a trend for Stans every year. He's brought in some talent to WKU with little results

vCash
    Fact of the matter is Rick is 63 now and his best coaching days are probably behind him.

vCash
    WKU hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2013, which is the longest drought in their school history. Think he started the 2016-17 season. If he doesn't make it this year, that means he would be responsible for 7 out of 10 of those seasons, they didn't make it. Also he would be the only coach in WKU history to never reach the NCAA Tournament, but maybe he will make run and win the C-USA Tournament like he did at State in 2009.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RLM38654 View Post
    WKU hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 2013, which is the longest drought in their school history. Think he started the 2016-17 season. If he doesn't make it this year, that means he would be responsible for 7 out of 10 of those seasons, they didn't make it. Also he would be the only coach in WKU history to never reach the NCAA Tournament, but maybe he will make run and win the C-USA Tournament like he did at State in 2009.
    Yeah he's going to need to win the conference tournament to get in, he has the talent to do it but CUSA actually has a few good teams so it won't be easy.

vCash
    I like Coach Stansbury. I loved basketball games as a student, and he was our coach the entire time I was there. I appreciate what he did for us. I view him as a Bulldog, and I hope he comes back in some form or fashion, similar to what Polk has done. But he's been gone a long time now. The game has changed, he has changed, he's not the coach he once was. It's time for us to let go.

vCash
    Stansbury will always be appreciated for what he did here. SEC title and SEC tournament title. Winning those at Miss State in hoops is never easy. Kentucky and Florida pretty much ran the SEC while Stans was here, but we were pretty much the next best team in the league during that decade until Pearl came to UT. Things have certainly changed with pretty much every team except UF improving in the league. Stans would not have the same success going up against Oats, Buzz, Pearl, Muss, Cal, and Barnes though. The coaching improvement in hoops over the last few years has been night and day. Also looks as though Gates and Stack and of course Jans are going to do well. This league is just going to get tougher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I recently looked at WKU's record and see Stans has them at 15-14(7-11). WKU was picked to finish 2nd in Conference USA and Stans brought in some really good talent to WKU, Jairus Hamilton a Maryland transfer, Dontaie Allen is a UK transfer, Emmanuel Akot came from Arizona and Boise State he was a hot commodity in the portal (Jans tried getting him), Jamarion Sharp the 7'5" athlete who entered the portal and everyone wanted him but he decided to stay. He also had 2 good gaurds in McKnight and Frampton.

As good as both Stansbury and even Howland are/were at recruiting their respective teams never had a ton of success. There is no reason WKU shouldn't be in the top 3 in Conference USA with that roster. I really hope Jans can get some good recruits in going forward because he is a hell of a coach!
    Oh hell, this thread will bring C34 out of message board retirement again!
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    I like Coach Stansbury. I loved basketball games as a student, and he was our coach the entire time I was there. I appreciate what he did for us. I view him as a Bulldog, and I hope he comes back in some form or fashion, similar to what Polk has done. But he's been gone a long time now. The game has changed, he has changed, he's not the coach he once was. It's time for us to let go.
    Bring him back as a recruiter!
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    I knew we were in trouble when he recruited the program cancer Dee Bost. I wasn’t wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I knew we were in trouble when he recruited the program cancer Dee Bost. I wasn’t wrong.
    Wait what???? You talking about Dee Bost the 4 yr starter?? You sure you are not getting him confused with Renardo Sidney???

vCash
    Please refresh my memory. I don’t recall Bost being a problem. Sidney and Baby Spoon have been our main problem children with hoops along with Rick Ray lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Wait what???? You talking about Dee Bost the 4 yr starter?? You sure you are not getting him confused with Renardo Sidney???
    Yeah, I was just ignoring that comment. Lots of people love to be "right", even when they're not. My FIL is #1 in the world about that. lol

vCash
    You have to be confusing Dee Bost with Renardo Sidney. Bost was one of the best guards we have had at MSU, he never got in any trouble either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Stansbury will always be appreciated for what he did here. SEC title and SEC tournament title. Winning those at Miss State in hoops is never easy. Kentucky and Florida pretty much ran the SEC while Stans was here, but we were pretty much the next best team in the league during that decade until Pearl came to UT. Things have certainly changed with pretty much every team except UF improving in the league. Stans would not have the same success going up against Oats, Buzz, Pearl, Muss, Cal, and Barnes though. The coaching improvement in hoops over the last few years has been night and day. Also looks as though Gates and Stack and of course Jans are going to do well. This league is just going to get tougher
    Good post