Thread: Am I wrong to want

vCash

Am I wrong to want

to consider platooning in RF according to lefty/righty matchups?

vCash
    Who you going to platoon? Chance didn?t play last night. So I guess he would be a candidate.

Clark(.192) and Hines(.233) are a combined 10 for 56 thru 9 games. Dakota Jordan is hitting .235? Forsythe is up to .296. Those are the 4 weakest links in the Order.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Who you going to platoon? Chance didn?t play last night. So I guess he would be a candidate.

Clark(.192) and Hines(.233) are a combined 10 for 56 thru 9 games. Dakota Jordan is hitting .235? Forsythe is up to .296. Those are the 4 weakest links in the Order.
    I assume he means Chance in right, Hines DH, until Clark figures it out.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    to consider platooning in RF according to lefty/righty matchups?
    Nope, I've thought and suggested the same thing........DH Hines and platoon Clark and Chance........Need to get Aaron Downs involved somehow but there's only 9 spots, so........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash

Hines' BABIP is .208. Clark's is .150. They're getting unlucky so far more than not hitting well. Jordan's is .259, he's K'd 8 times and that needs to improve.

vCash
    Jordan is trying to hit one in the next zip code on every swing. They keep throwing off speed away to him. He needs to relax and go oppo. Logan Tanner had to do that and it changed the way opponents pitched to him.
    Happy Festivus

vCash

you have Chance, Hujsack, and Downs that are all righties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    you have Chance, Hujsack, and Downs that are all righties.
    I wanna give the Hugesack fella a chance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDAWG85 View Post
    Jordan is trying to hit one in the next zip code on every swing. They keep throwing off speed away to him. He needs to relax and go oppo. Logan Tanner had to do that and it changed the way opponents pitched to him.
    Jordan will be fine. Just has to get use to the SEC competition. I know he's played at a high level all the way through growing up but it's a lot different facing a 15-18 year old that has good stuff but doesn't know how to pitch and facing a polished junior or senior SEC arm.

One issue I have with the elite summer ball teams is they are all showcase teams and scouts there are primarily looking at pitchers for the draft and power. Tools that can't be taught, so the kids know pro guys don't necessarily care all that much about how polished they are. Pro scouts are simply looking at tools so the highschool arms are going out and just trying to flash velocity/spin rate, and hard breaking balls.

Yea they may go to an arm farm every week and get lessons or work on mechanics in but most of the time they are trying to leverage their mechanics to create more velocity and a better spin rate not necessarily to throw more strikes or learn how to pitch/ pitch sequencing/ reading a batters swing and the holes he has in it etc.

So all Jordan has seen is a lot of fastballs whether he's been in a hitters count or a disadvantage count.

Not a ton of high schoolers throwing 2-0/2-1 and
    3-0/ 3-1 breaking balls and change ups. He's used to getting fbs in those counts. He's also not used to seeing quality plus off speed in any count but especially in 0-0 counts to start abs.

He may have seen a bunch of offspeed during his spring highschool season early in at bats but the majority of it wasn't quality plus SEC offspeed. Most of it is easy to see/pickup save maybe a couple of arms on the better teams he played against like prep/mag heights/mra.

So he's just got to develop and get used to seeing better pitching, recognizing plus offspeed earlier in at bats and counts/learning to lay off balls that are close to the zone, and finally, not missing the mistake when he does get it whether it's the 1st pitch of the AB or the 5th.

I don't care how naturally gifted you are there, is going to be a learning curve at every level especially for hitters. Even going from rookie ball to low A, A ball to high A, high A to AA and even AA to AAA the pitching changes and gets more polished at every level.

AA you're still seeing some guys with command issues but elite stuff, AAA you're seeing some older arms that may have been up and down from the big leagues for 6-7 years that are exceptionally polished.

Jordan will be fine, just gotta give him a little time but the more in game ABs he gets the quicker that development will happen.

vCash
    Clark and Hines are the exact same players they were. Especially Clark. He is an older player here now and he has not developed at all. Not a good sign for our staff

vCash
    I'd like to see Clark and Hines' split stats. From my memory, they have both been garbage against lefties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Clark and Hines are the exact same players they were. Especially Clark. He is an older player here now and he has not developed at all. Not a good sign for our staff
    Yeah Clark has been mediocre but Hines was a freshman last year and an all american with 16 bombs(and we're only 9 games into this year), so if he's the same player this year I'll take it. Also Hines has hit a ton of balls hard that havent found grass(see the ball he smoked against usm that drove in the winning run). And if you're gonna call out the staff about clark not "developing" then you in turn have to give them credit for Lane becoming a better hitter, Slate Alford, Bryce Chance and others. So saying "not a good sign for our staff" is a little inaccurate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah Clark has been mediocre but Hines was a freshman last year and an all american with 16 bombs(and we're only 9 games into this year), so if he's the same player this year I'll take it. Also Hines has hit a ton of balls hard that havent found grass(see the ball he smoked against usm that drove in the winning run). And if you're gonna call out the staff about clark not "developing" then you in turn have to give them credit for Lane becoming a better hitter, Slate Alford, Bryce Chance and others. So saying "not a good sign for our staff" is a little inaccurate.
    Well said.

vCash
    Alford looks about the same as he did last year to me. Forsythe has been a better hitter the last 2 games. Chance has been a surprise I didnt even know if he was on the team last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Alford looks about the same as he did last year to me. Forsythe has been a better hitter the last 2 games. Chance has been a surprise I didnt even know if he was on the team last year
    Not just this year for Lane,. Lane was a much better hitter last year than the previous year, development. Alford is way better than he was last year(although he didn't play much last year) so yes he has improved over last year. And bedsides offense is not the problem we are averaging 10 runs a game so Goat is doing something right. Our problem has been walks and errors. Offense has done their job.