Thread: Early stats on Walks per 9 Innings, does not include today

vCash

Early stats on Walks per 9 Innings, does not include today

2021- 3.97 BB/9 with 12.1 K/9 (SEC 3.73 BB/9 with 10.1 k/9)
    2022- 4.83 BB/9 with 10.8 K/9 (SEC 3.95 BB/9 with 10.5 k/9)
    2023- 6.00 BB/9 with 12.2 K/9 (SEC 4.10 BB/9 with 11.2 K/9)

So, the SEC is walking 3.8% more in 2023 vs 2022, but MSU is walking 24% more in 2023 vs 2022. MSU has double the walks of many SEC schools and almost triple the walks as Alabama. Yep, the Bama early schedule sucks, but triple?

Against not super-great opposition thus far, the Opposing Batting average is 0.233 vs 0.260 last year, but this number is scary because you expect SEC stats to be more challenged than the ok schedule thus far. Maybe ASU is an Omaha team, time will tell.

Unless MSU is randomly getting the worst umps in the Southeast thus far, this is a scary number of walks. Loftin, Hunt, and Davis have more walks between them than many SEC pitching staffs. Hunt has 9 in 4 innings, Bama has 21 total.

vCash
    Well, this doesn't explain away our walk stats vs Bama but.......

Charlie Winfield and Brad Henderson had the same and good point on Bo Bounds yesterday(or was it monday). Anyways, they say walks are up because the Umps are well aware that the "Track Man" technology is being used to evaluate their performance. Therefore the strike zone has gotten smaller.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

Charlie Winfield and Brad Henderson had the same and good point on Bo Bounds yesterday(or was it monday). Anyways, they say walks are up because the Umps are well aware that the "Track Man" technology is being used to evaluate their performance. Therefore the strike zone has gotten smaller.
    Does the Track Man technology not also penalize them for calling balls that are actually strikes? Or are they just graded on calling strikes that should?ve been balls?

vCash
    baseball needs trackman to end the atrocity that costed my Braves a 1997 world series ring...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post

So, gaming this situation. Trying to be the strike-out leaders for the Nation and SEC, is not producing great outcomes for MSU.

Getting two strikes, then making the ninja pitch is just going to run up your pitch count, unless your name is Bednar, Sims, or Leiter. The IQ 200 hitter, like Sonny DiChiara, will say. "I will never bite on their pitch. I will wait for my pitch or walk. If the pitcher is Jack Leiter, he will strike me out, but 99% of pitchers are not Jack Leiter." Now even the IQ 90 guys from Southern Miss got 9 runs on just 5 hits.

Yesterday, Loftin was already at 60 pitches before the rough inning that knocked him out. He had 80 pitches to pitch 4 innings

Also, I am seeing a pattern of 25 to 30 pitch first-inning performances for all starters.

vCash
    Something is wrong with our pitching program. What we're doing right now isn't sustainable in SEC play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    So, gaming this situation. Trying to be the strike-out leaders for the Nation and SEC, is not producing great outcomes for MSU.

Getting two strikes, then making the ninja pitch is just going to run up your pitch count, unless your name is Bednar, Sims, or Leiter. The IQ 200 hitter, like Sonny DiChiara, will say. "I will never bite on their pitch. I will wait for my pitch or walk. If the pitcher is Jack Leiter, he will strike me out, but 99% of pitchers are not Jack Leiter." Now even the IQ 90 guys from Southern Miss got 9 runs on just 5 hits.

Yesterday, Loftin was already at 60 pitches before the rough inning that knocked him out. He had 80 pitches to pitch 4 innings

Also, I am seeing a pattern of 25 to 30 pitch first-inning performances for all starters.
    Almost every pitcher we have had start a game has been somewhere around 80 pitches through 4 innings. That is just not a recipe for success. Our bullpen will have to be downright elite to prop up those starts consistently.

vCash
    Well since we have two closers, let?s let one start every game and pitch only the 1st inning and the other close it out. That way our starters can skip their horrible 1st inning and still go 4 innings and get to the long relievers in the 6th-8th and the closer in the 9th. Perfect recipe. 😂😂😂😂😂😂