Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catching

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    But they only have 3 times to throw over also.
    3x per game or AB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    The pitch clock is giving any decent runner an advantage. Pitchers are focusing on that instead of runners and they are getting better leads and jumps. Catchers stand no chance. Steals are up across the board and as you said, no SEC team has more than 2 CS by catchers.
    I think this is a HUGE issue, everyone has the stupid pitch clock on the brain now and its not helping the game at any level! I looked at caught stealing across the country and stolen base percentages are astronomically high. No one is throwing our base runners with any consistency. I mean how many times how we been caught stealing this year? Once? You combine pitchers only focused on their velo and spin rate and not worrying about keeping runners close(slide step, varying deliveries, good pickoff moves,etc..) with the stupid pitch clock and teams are taking advantage. It's really leaving catchers no margin for error.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I think this is a HUGE issue, everyone has the stupid pitch clock on the brain now and its not helping the game at any level! I looked at caught stealing across the country and stolen base percentages are astronomically high. No one is throwing our base runners with any consistency. I mean how many times how we been caught stealing this year? Once? You combine pitchers only focused on their velo and spin rate and not worrying about keeping runners close(slide step, varying deliveries, good pickoff moves,etc..) with the stupid pitch clock and teams are taking advantage. It's really leaving catchers no margin for error.
    Didn't realize how good our steal numbers were til I went and looked last night. We're 15-15. Ledbetter already has 7, Larry has 4, and Lane has 3. To put that into perspective we were 44-54 ALL of last year and 74-92 ALL of 2021. If we even stay close to our current pace we'll probably steal somewhere between 60-75 bases just in the regular season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Didn't realize how good our steal numbers were til I went and looked last night. We're 15-15. Ledbetter already has 7, Larry has 4, and Lane has 3. To put that into perspective we were 44-54 ALL of last year and 74-92 ALL of 2021. If we even stay close to our current pace we'll probably steal somewhere between 60-75 bases just in the regular season.
    I love the running game! I used to run teams ragged! When you get a reputation as a running team other teams infield, pitchers and catchers get jittery when you get runners on!

vCash
    They said on the broadcast today no sec team has thrown out more than 2 base runners so far this year. Everyone's getting run on because pitchers aren't interested in holding runners only on how hard they can throw. Holding runners is becoming a lost art.

And yet another reason why the pitch clock isn't slowing the game down any. I think it's the exact opposite. You take the increased stealing and a tighter strike zone into account I could see the games being longer, not shorter. I'd like to see some stats.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    And yet another reason why the pitch clock isn't slowing the game down any. I think it's the exact opposite. You take the increased stealing and a tighter strike zone into account I could see the games being longer, not shorter. I'd like to see some stats.......
    I 100% agree with this! College pitchers already struggle some with command but add the "hurry up and pitch" coupled with a minute strike zone=more baserunners=longer games and you're defeating the purpose of speeding up the games! I heard Charlie and Bart talking about this very thing this weekend. They should just leave the game alone! I hate Rob Manfred cause all his stupid ideas are trickling down to every level!

vCash
    I love the running game! I used to run teams ragged! When you get a reputation as a running team other teams infield, pitchers and catchers get jittery when you get runners on!
    I'd be running like the early 80s Cards!! It's going to be interesting watching both college and MLB as they adjust to these clocks. I know advance stats say that stealing is pointless. However, if the odds of advancing a base or 2 are 100%, then you are stupid not to do it. The by product is that you will constantly put pitchers and defenses on edge. When they are on edge they make more mistakes (defensively and in pitch location)
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    When you get a reputation as a running team other teams infield, pitchers and catchers get jittery when you get runners on!
    Absolutely. It is another big part of the game that probably gets less attention than it should.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I don't know if it translates the same to the college level but at least in the minor league and spring training it's working really well at speeding up the games.

"Over the first weekend of spring training games, the average game time was 2:38. That’s down 23 minutes from last year’s spring training average. When pitch clocks were tested in the minors last year, the average game time dropped by 25 minutes," https://espnswfl.com/2023/02/27/base...-games-faster/

vCash
    I'd be running like the early 80s Cards!! It's going to be interesting watching both college and MLB as they adjust to these clocks. I know advance stats say that stealing is pointless. However, if the odds of advancing a base or 2 are 100%, then you are stupid not to do it. The by product is that you will constantly put pitchers and defenses on edge. When they are on edge they make more mistakes (defensively and in pitch location)
    Yes, THIS! In talking with coaches over the years they all hate teams that run all the time!

And its fun for the players and coaches!
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 02-27-2023 at 03:47 PM.

vCash
    Just FYI, but going into Sunday?s game no one had thrown out more then 2 base runners and we?re not last in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Just FYI, but going into Sunday?s game no one had thrown out more then 2 base runners and we?re not last in the league.
    Yep, its an epidemic in college baseball right now.

vCash
    We haven't been great at holding/throwing out runners but the games when we have allowed 20+ baserunners make it look worse than it actually is. 25 baserunners against vmi in a game, 24 against asu friday night. Allowing that number of base runners is sure gonna increase the number of stolen base attemps. Don't walk a small village in a game and some of this will be taken care of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    3x per game or AB?
    I might have the new MLB stuff and college mixed up but I think it was 3 times per AB. The third time basically has to pick theme off or they get a free base. So the third attempt to pick off a runner at first and they are either going to be out or at 2nd.

vCash
    You can steal bases in MLB but you need to be able to do so at about a 65% success rate to be score more runs.

vCash
    We haven't been great at holding/throwing out runners but the games when we have allowed 20+ baserunners make it look worse than it actually is. 25 baserunners against vmi in a game, 24 against asu friday night. Allowing that number of base runners is sure gonna increase the number of stolen base attemps. Don't walk a small village in a game and some of this will be taken care of.
    Walks are indefensible, but are preventable.

vCash
    We have Jackson Owen from starkville high, now @ NEMCC committed at catcher. who else are we recruiting at that position. I doubt Owen will take innings from Highfill by next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We changed our team's offense in the offseason for the better. We added speed and didn't really sacrifice much power in the process.

vCash
    I 100% agree with this! College pitchers already struggle some with command but add the "hurry up and pitch" coupled with a minute strike zone=more baserunners=longer games and you're defeating the purpose of speeding up the games! I heard Charlie and Bart talking about this very thing this weekend. They should just leave the game alone! I hate Rob Manfred cause all his stupid ideas are trickling down to every level!
    That's why I like balance in a lineup. Because when you can put pressure on another team then when you're big power guys are at the plate they end up getting some fat pitches more often- makes it easier on them.

To me, there is nothing easier to defend than a bunch of power hitting station to station free swingers. All you have to do is throw it in the area code and let them get themselves out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho View Post
    We have Jackson Owen from starkville high, now @ NEMCC committed at catcher. who else are we recruiting at that position. I doubt Owen will take innings from Highfill by next season.
    We have Hubbard and Highfill and as you said Owen committed. Catcher is more of a need after next year's class but we'll be fine.

I wouldn't be shocked if we get Jacob Keys in the portal a few years down the road after Highfill graduates.