Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NIL money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    This thread makes me think I need earmark all mine to baseball. I didn't specify where mine should
    Go. However I could not care less about basketball.

Edit to add: It is growing tiresome that every time State loses a game in any sport, the finger is pointed at NIL.
    You are missing out on this Basketball team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If this is true, then no one needs to be upset with Lemonis as to where we are right now in baseball - you can't compete with that type of funding.

A number of people said when we won in 2020 that we better enjoy it because NIL was about to change everything for us. Well, it looks like it is. And the only way we overcome it is if we get creative and figure out how to funnel our athletic budget to NIL. Our fan base is not too poor - they are too cheap and have never wanted to contribute at levels it takes to win.
    THIS is the real problem. Has been and will continue to be.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    State's problem with money is being located in a rural area. We have very little commercial support. So you rely on individuals. Then .... what y'all say is kinda true.

Mississippi State has fans around Columbus that are cheap or just poor. I don't know for sure but columbus folks don't spend money. But I meet alumni In Memphis/desoto county and it is almost a brag to mention how long it's been, since you've been to Starkville. Just very odd to me.

Anyways, but as far as those that contribute. The population of States true fans is very small. All you have to do is look at football season ticket sales. You can get a State football ticket any time you want, any year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    That is so weak
    It?s the lowest in the conference by a pretty good bit.

As far as LSU baseball goes they had 2 former players give $1 million each because they were sick of seeing us, ole miss and Arkansas in Omaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Our best hope is to rally the "have nots" of the SEC and Big 10 to force some kind of NIL cap/sharing program that only applies to the Power Two. The elites won't like it, but the TV networks who want more exciting games may force their hands (we hope).
    Bingo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post

As far as LSU baseball goes they had 2 former players give $1 million each because they were sick of seeing us, ole miss and Arkansas in Omaha
    Where are you getting these numbers from?

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    I'm not on much social media but it seems like our new AD is fairly quiet. I thought he was supposed to be a marketer and fundraiser?

It's always taken someone to rally the fan base to drive up donations.

vCash
    If this is true, then no one needs to be upset with Lemonis as to where we are right now in baseball - you can't compete with that type of funding.

A number of people said when we won in 2020 that we better enjoy it because NIL was about to change everything for us. Well, it looks like it is. And the only way we overcome it is if we get creative and figure out how to funnel our athletic budget to NIL. Our fan base is not too poor - they are too cheap and have never wanted to contribute at levels it takes to win.
    In the case of NIL I think most here do not realize how this actually stands. We have some very wealthy alumni and other people that are in a situation to really help in this. But we lack the sheer numbers of these people that our conference mates have. Alabama has one family that can out spend our entire alumni base and the other schools at the top of the NIL pecking order double or triple or output of total graduates. We are up against a plain old numbers game, I do not think that willingness to spend is a big part of it. Qkings post is the best thing that can happen for us, if that kind of coalition can be pulled together. If not the numbers are what they are.

vCash
    If ESPN forces some type of NIL cap where are all the victories for the Bama Ga LSUx ect. going to come. ESPN has to protect the haves. ESPN won?t be able to have clear cut winning teams to broadcast. Viewers will totally lose interest with teams like MSU Ole Miss Vandy Ky beating Bama Ga LSUX ect. NIL cap ain?t gonna happen.

vCash

5th best NIL in sec makes being last in the sec standings acceptable?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    If ESPN forces some type of NIL cap where are all the victories for the Bama Ga LSUx ect. going to come. ESPN has to protect the haves. ESPN won?t be able to have clear cut winning teams to broadcast. Viewers will totally lose interest with teams like MSU Ole Miss Vandy Ky beating Bama Ga LSUX ect. NIL cap ain?t gonna happen.
    The NFL experience suggests otherwise. The NFL could rake in so much money if the largest or smallest market teams are good. Packers vs. Jaguars Super Bowl? No problem! Bengals vs. Saints? All good!

It's better for the league to have 32 roughly equal teams, rather than just the NY/LA teams being the best.

vCash
    You realize all the talk about all these guys getting huge ass money is pretty false? The numbers thrown around for some signings are completely false. There are a handful of kids that get huge NIL money from initiatives like ours and that's it. They make more via other means. We don't have that part of it. Our initiative is pretty solid.
    As for one sport dumping, that's crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    Where are you getting these numbers from?
    I was friends with some of Leach?s staff that wasn?t retained by Arnett.

vCash
    HOw much NIL is there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    You realize all the talk about all these guys getting huge ass money is pretty false? The numbers thrown around for some signings are completely false. There are a handful of kids that get huge NIL money from initiatives like ours and that's it. They make more via other means. We don't have that part of it. Our initiative is pretty solid.
    As for one sport dumping, that's crazy.
    This is 100% true. Cooter nailed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post

I think this is the wave of the future so to speak. You're only going to get so much from everyday Joe fans. Especially since some of them are already spending money on lodging, tickets, etc. It's still important and it all counts- so give to the Bulldog Initiative.

But MLB baseball players after they get their big contract can donate a lot of money. Guys like Nate Lowe, Ethan Small, Justin Foscue, etc. down the line.

In the past the players would donate money for equipment or for something Dudy Noble would need- I think Will Clark put up a fence at Dudy Noble 2 at one point in time. Now players are going to be asked to donate to NIL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Bc cost more per player than any sport. Good news is you don't need many players. Fact is, nil is just bad for us. Period. The longer it goes the more it will show.
    Not only do we not need many players, we don't even need the blue chips to compete. We just have to get jans some pieces. We are really one good perimeter threat from being extremely dangerous right now. But we'd also be dangerous if we had a bunch of average shooters rather than below average shooters. It's really not that hard to find players that are more dangerous from three than we have right now. I guess the real question is whether we can find the next Tolu. Other than him, if our players went on the transfer market after this season, they wouldn't be big time targets. That's not knocking them. I love having a bunch of players play hard and overachieve like this. But they just haven't put together stats that will make other teams open up the checkbooks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The NFL experience suggests otherwise. The NFL could rake in so much money if the largest or smallest market teams are good. Packers vs. Jaguars Super Bowl? No problem! Bengals vs. Saints? All good!

It's better for the league to have 32 roughly equal teams, rather than just the NY/LA teams being the best.
    Two things that are different there: First, even your "small market" teams still have pretty big markets. Jacksonville has around 1M in its city limits and of course has fans outside of that. Greenbay is legitimately different, but even then, Wisconsin has 5.8M people and I assume they are heavily weighted towards being GreenBay fans.

Second, there is no real question that all of the teams in the NFL are the best football teams out there. As the NCAA is currently set up, ESPN needs its teams with media rights to be "known" to be the best. Having a Bama or UGA lose to a MSU or Ole Miss hurts them in maintaining Bama and UGA's image as the best and leaves room for teams from teh Big 12 or ACC to claim to be better. Now if there were only two legitimate power conferences, one with rights owned by Fox and one with rights owned by ESPN, this dynamic might go away, especially if they have a bunch of post season games against each other. It'll be more like NFC v. AFC and the post season will be how people judge who is the best. Not sure if the dynamic goes away completely, but I think it would reduce ESPN's incentive to push for the haves to dominate in conference in the regular season. They just need SEC teams to win in the post season.

But again, not sure if there will be enough interest in NCAA football for small market college teams to not hurt post season ratings, in which case ESPN will still have the incentive to make sure big market teams advance to the biggest Post season games.

vCash
    Someone tell Elon that we are the most conservative school in the SEC and maybe he will donate 1B to us haha

vCash
    Our recruiting rankings haven't changed after NIL. I'm not buying it.. seems like a lousy excuse for playing poorly. Also, A&M spent a fortune for the top recruiting class of all time and we skull drug them. They didn't even go bowling.