Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIL money

vCash

NIL money

Seems we don't have enough spread across 3 sports to compete with the big pockets in the sec. Seems like we'd be better off putting it basically into 1 sport, and that one sport would be MBK if I were choosing. Jans seems like a good coach that could be potentially great if we gave him some a heavy helping hand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Seems we don't have enough spread across 3 sports to compete with the big pockets in the sec. Seems like we'd be better off putting it basically into 1 sport, and that one sport would be MBK if I were choosing. Jans seems like a good coach that could be potentially great if we gave him some a heavy helping hand
    Bc cost more per player than any sport. Good news is you don't need many players. Fact is, nil is just bad for us. Period. The longer it goes the more it will show.

vCash
    We have $200,000 for baseball which is 5th in the conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    First time I've saw a total. That's a pretty impressive number. Do you have other sports?

vCash
    I'm sure we're close to last in the conference in NIL, even for baseball.

vCash
    200k doesn't seem like a lot of money, tbh.

vCash
    One thing I see consistently is we dont' get the scale of just how poor we are. I like your posts 7 but in this case it's you... if we were 2x outspent on NIL overall by say, LSU, then sure we could pool our money and outspend them in a given sport.

But we are outspent probably 10x. LSU for example spends more than 10x as us on Football NIL, yet what happened in baseball last offseason? the boosters decided "this coach is pretty good, lets get good players for him" and went out and baught hte NC State kid, SKenes, etc. While still spending 10x more than us in Football, no doubt more than us in basketball too. There is no "pool our money to compete in X sport", we will still get outspent by multiple programs in whatever sport we choose. Unless we go outside the big 3 of course

Lets use hard numbers. Our total yearly NIL money to players is what, a mil? 1.5m? USC gives 3x that to it's starting QB alone. Will Anderson made 1.7m last year. HS recruits are going for millions.

vCash
    Why we need an alum that is Bozo or Musk rich where we can donate 500m a year to our NIL fund

vCash
    First time I've saw a total. That's a pretty impressive number. Do you have other sports?
    $500,000 for football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    One thing I see consistently is we dont' get the scale of just how poor we are. I like your posts 7 but in this case it's you... if we were 2x outspent on NIL overall by say, LSU, then sure we could pool our money and outspend them in a given sport.

But we are outspent probably 10x. LSU for example spends more than 10x as us on Football NIL, yet what happened in baseball last offseason? the boosters decided "this coach is pretty good, lets get good players for him" and went out and baught hte NC State kid, SKenes, etc. While still spending 10x more than us in Football, no doubt more than us in basketball too. There is no "pool our money to compete in X sport", we will still get outspent by multiple programs in whatever sport we choose. Unless we go outside the big 3 of course

Lets use hard numbers. Our total yearly NIL money to players is what, a mil? 1.5m? USC gives 3x that to it's starting QB alone. Will Anderson made 1.7m last year. HS recruits are going for millions.
    Maybe so, but spread out over 3 sports, we're even farther behind in all 3

vCash
    Our best hope is to rally the "have nots" of the SEC and Big 10 to force some kind of NIL cap/sharing program that only applies to the Power Two. The elites won't like it, but the TV networks who want more exciting games may force their hands (we hope).

vCash
    Baseball isn't our problem w nil. But it won't keep us at the top of sec as you said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    200k doesn't seem like a lot of money, tbh.
    It?s not. LSU spent 2 million on their current roster. Paul Skenes had an apartment in Starkville until LSU got a deal for him worth $250,000.

LSU, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Auburn are out spending us in baseball right now. Ole Miss is right on or with us. I don?t know what Vandy spends but it doesn?t really matter there.

vCash
    It?s not. LSU spent 2 million on their current roster. Paul Skenes had an apartment in Starkville until LSU got a deal for him worth $250,000.

LSU, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Auburn are out spending us in baseball right now. Ole Miss is right on or with us. I don?t know what Vandy spends but it doesn?t really matter there.
    If this is true, then no one needs to be upset with Lemonis as to where we are right now in baseball - you can't compete with that type of funding.

A number of people said when we won in 2020 that we better enjoy it because NIL was about to change everything for us. Well, it looks like it is. And the only way we overcome it is if we get creative and figure out how to funnel our athletic budget to NIL. Our fan base is not too poor - they are too cheap and have never wanted to contribute at levels it takes to win.

vCash

Hmph. All that for a few autographs and pictures.

vCash
    This thread makes me think I need earmark all mine to baseball. I didn't specify where mine should
    Go. However I could not care less about basketball.

Edit to add: It is growing tiresome that every time State loses a game in any sport, the finger is pointed at NIL.

vCash
    I've always wished we put more emphasis on basketball because it seems that it would take less resources to be successful. I guess this would be true for the NIL era too.
    Our athletic department and our fans just don't care to support basketball. The renovation of a 1970s relic that shadows the brand new best college baseball park in America emphasizes this point.
    Also, basketball is more fun than baseball. I'll probably get banned by Mississippi State for that last statement.*
    Last edited by LC Dawg; 02-25-2023 at 05:31 PM.

vCash

Well if this is the landscape, I'm glad we won when we could, bc we're gonna get left behind unless things change.

vCash
    Jans is a great coach and we were extremely lucky to get him.

vCash
    $500,000 for football
    That is so weak