Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May not agree but...

vCash

May not agree but...

I think it's a no doubter we are in a "rebuild year". Looking at the last 3 recruiting classes and who is left and contributing is lacking. But I'm saying this, I like what the young players may become soon. Especially a few pitchers.

I hope after today we get going. Gonna take a few more games to really know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I think it's a no doubter we are in a "rebuild year". Looking at the last 3 recruiting classes and who is left and contributing is lacking. But I'm saying this, I like what the young players may become soon. Especially a few pitchers.

We clearly don't have the pitching to survive in the SEC. The 2020 and 2021 signing class failures at pitcher is showing up. We tried to sign some transfers and Jucos to make up for it but it's not enough.

vCash
    Agreed. Aside from Skenes, what other portal pitcher/s that we really wanted, ended up at other programs? We know what lsu did by outbidding everyone for several top players and florida apparently paid big money to get usm’s no. 2 guy.

We got Nixon from Texas, who is really talented, but he had a really tough end of his sophomore year, so how coveted by other big programs was he?

vCash
    USM transfer Hurston Waldrep (I think that's his name) to UF would've been just as nice as Skenes. We're gonna like Dohm and Gartman, but another Fri-Sat type SPer would've been nice.

vCash
    We are going to have to hope that Loftin and Jurrangelo mature quickly. Both have the stuff.

vCash
    Also the young hitters look very promising. Hopefully our defense settles in quickly. It’s gonna be a up and down season with so many young guys early. Hopefully they keep gaining confidence.

vCash

And therein lies the problem. You can blame it on poor recruiting, lack of development or whatever you want but make no mistake it's on Lemonis too. Bottom line is this, we shouldn't be in this situation and there's absolutely no justification for it.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    And therein lies the problem. You can blame it on poor recruiting, lack of development or whatever you want but make no mistake it's on Lemonis too. Bottom line is this, we shouldn't be in this situation and there's absolutely no justification for it.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I can't disagree with what you are saying. I do think with Sims being healthy as well as Simmons (and few others hurt), I think we would have at least made a regional.

But to think we aren't in a rebuild year regardless of the reasons is pretty obvious, we only have 3 of the eight defensive players (SS, RF and 1st base with Hatcher) playing this year. But yes, maybe we should have played the younger guys mre late in the season when it was obvious we weren't going to make a regional.

vCash
    I can't disagree with what you are saying. I do think with Sims being healthy as well as Simmons (and few others hurt), I think we would have at least made a regional.

But to think we aren't in a rebuild year regardless of the reasons is pretty obvious, we only have 3 of the eight defensive players (SS, RF and 1st base with Hatcher) playing this year. But yes, maybe we should have played the younger guys mre late in the season when it was obvious we weren't going to make a regional.
    Agree. We were in position to make a regional until pitching finally got us last year. But obvious failures in outcome of overall program at Lemo headship for sure.

vCash
    Base I fully agree with you. But I want to add a little something to it. We are in a new dynamic in college sports to where for most teams every year it's gonna be somewhat of a rebuild. We have to change our tactics from looking at long-term outlooks to more short term with each of these guys that we have. At the end of the season, we will have to re-recruit our own guys. That is where I give Lemo some Grace as well. I realize that none of the coaches that we hired had experience with this new era, and so there has to be some living and learning and there has to be some grace for these guys until they can figure out how to consistently produce with new rosters every year.

vCash
    The other thing that probably isn't mentioned quite enough is that we were set for a rebuild in 2021, but when COVID hit and everyone returned it pushed things back. We had to shift our recruiting not only because of not being allowed to recruit off campus but also because we were keeping players that we didn't believe there was a chance they would be back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    The other thing that probably isn't mentioned quite enough is that we were set for a rebuild in 2021, but when COVID hit and everyone returned it pushed things back. We had to shift our recruiting not only because of not being allowed to recruit off campus but also because we were keeping players that we didn't believe there was a chance they would be back.
    Wouldn't this situation apply to all programs due to covid years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Wouldn't this situation apply to all programs due to covid years?
    It would but those other sports don't have the scholarship limitations of baseball.

vCash
    Looking back on 2021 our initial rotation was going to be McCloud, Bednar, and Cerantola .....but in Frisco, Frisroe and Harding were pushed into service.... by the end of the season it was Bednar and Harding who were performing....with Sims on the Backend. Anyone remember how bad Bednar and Sims looked in the SEC tourney ? Anyone remember last year taking a road series against the eventual national champions? This lineup will hit better than the 2021 team and who knows Gartman, Dohm or one of the freshman can emerge....not time to panic yet

vCash
    It would but those other sports don't have the scholarship limitations of baseball.
    I'm talking about other baseball programs faced this same situation as us and don't seem to have taken the same fall as we did in this period of time.

vCash
    I'm not sure we are in a rebuild.

I think we are in a position where we aren't sure who we are yet.

If we have the weekend look like Smith, Gartman, Loftin, with Loo pitching Friday and potentially Sunday, plus the rest of the bullpen, we don't look like a rebuild to me. This puts Hunt in the bullpen, makes Loo a 3+ innings total each weekend kind of guy. We could work with that.

Lineup will hit too.

It's too early to say rebuild because we don't have the proper guys in their proper spots yet. In a couple weeks we might say rebuild. But not now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I'm talking about other baseball programs faced this same situation as us and don't seem to have taken the same fall as we did in this period of time.
    I think that’s where the 4 coaches in 4 years comes into play as well. Most programs have had stability or at max one other coach during that period.

vCash
    I think that’s where the 4 coaches in 4 years comes into play as well. Most programs have had stability or at max one other coach during that period.
    So coach #4 takes players of all 4 coaches and wins National Championship and it was a good thing of course. Next year we finish last in the SEC West and are now predicted to finish last last in West by peer coaches. Color me confused. Looks like we are playing this period both ways depending on the results. JMO.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Ezsoil;1502030]Looking back on 2021 our initial rotation was going to be McCloud, Bednar, and Cerantola .....but in Frisco, Frisroe and Harding were pushed into service.... by the end of the season it was Bednar and Harding who were performing....with Sims on the Backend. Anyone remember how bad Bednar and Sims looked in the SEC tourney ? Anyone remember last year taking a road series against the eventual national champions? This lineup will hit better than the 2021 team and who knows Gartman, Dohm or one of the freshman can emerge....not time to panic yet[/QUO

Truth. Even OM last year sucked until they had a few pitchers come out of nowhere mid late year.

I've seen some pretty good pitching performances to know we have some that could get hot and develop into a post season team. The errors on D are on many proven players. I think they will figure it out.

We must make some good moves on pitching rotation and soon or season can get away from you.

We got the hitting. Really like our young new talent. They gonna be special.