Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Way Too Early Look At What May Be Out There

vCash

A Way Too Early Look At What May Be Out There

So today was not fun. Saturday was not fun. Last year was not fun. And the same problem is the cause for all of them. So let's just for a moment say this thing gets way sideways and firing Foxhall isn't enough to save Lemonis. Who do you go with? I think it's broken into 3-4 Tiers

Tier A: Tim Corbin

Tier B: 1. Tony Vittello
    2. Elliot Avent
    3. Butch
    4. Cliff Godwin
    5. Brian O' Conner
    6. Skip Johnson
    7. Scott Forbes
    8. Scott Strickin (UGA HC)
    9. Tom Walter
    10. Eric Bakich

Tier C: 1. Jake Gautreau
    2. Jordan Bischell
    3. Dan Heefner
    4. Christian Ostrander
    5. Rob Vaughn

Tier D: 1. Nate Thompson
    2. Josh Elander
    3. Scott Brown
    4. Nate Yeskie

vCash
    No Tadlock and is it not Tommy Raffo's turn? - adding a little color to your list with the chances of getting the coach if offered. Some guys I just don't know, like the Maryland coach. The WF coach is also totally unknown to me. I wonder if O'Sullivan is in play, if he does not win the NC at Florida this year.

Tier A: Tim Corbin - Vandy 2% chance (National Champ x 2)

Tier B: 1. Tony Vittello - Tennessee 5% chance
    2. Elliot Avent - NC State 25%
    3. Butch - Auburn 67%
    4. Cliff Godwin - ECU 50%
    5. Brian O' Conner - UVA 25% (National Champ)
    6. Skip Johnson - Oklahoma 50% (Bianco's Boy)
    7. Scott Forbes - UNC
    8. Scott Strickin (UGA HC) - he's out of a job in May, I hear - 100%
    9. Tom Walter - Wake Forest
    10. Eric Bakich - Clemson 1%

Tier C: 1. Jake Gautreau - 100%
    2. Jordan Bischell - Central Michigan 100%
    3. Dan Heefner - Dallas Baptist 50%
    4. Christian Ostrander - USM PC - 100%
    5. Rob Vaughn - Maryland - Young coach

Tier D: 1. Nate Thompson - Novo Cannizarro- Arkansas HC and Recruiter - 100%
    2. Josh Elander - Tennessee Recruiter - ?
    3. Scott Brown - Vandy PC -?
    4. Nate Yeskie - TAM - Legendary PC -?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    No Tadlock and is it not Tommy Raffo's turn? - adding a little color to your list with the chances of getting the coach if offered. Some guys I just don't know, like the Maryland coach. The WF coach is also totally unknown to me. I wonder if O'Sullivan is in play, if he does not win the NC at Florida this year.

Tier A: Tim Corbin - Vandy 2% chance (National Champ x 2)

Tier B: 1. Tony Vittello - Tennessee 5% chance
    2. Elliot Avent - NC State 25%
    3. Butch - Auburn 67%
    4. Cliff Godwin - ECU 50%
    5. Brian O' Conner - UVA 25% (National Champ)
    6. Skip Johnson - Oklahoma 50% (Bianco's Boy)
    7. Scott Forbes - UNC
    8. Scott Strickin (UGA HC) - he's out of a job in May, I hear - 100%
    9. Tom Walter - Wake Forest
    10. Eric Bakich - Clemson 1%

Tier C: 1. Jake Gautreau - 100%
    2. Jordan Bischell - Central Michigan 100%
    3. Dan Heefner - Dallas Baptist 50%
    4. Christian Ostrander - USM PC - 100%
    5. Rob Vaughn - Maryland - Young coach

Tier D: 1. Nate Thompson - Novo Cannizarro- Arkansas HC and Recruiter - 100%
    2. Josh Elander - Tennessee Recruiter - ?
    3. Scott Brown - Vandy PC -?
    4. Nate Yeskie - TAM - Legendary PC -?
    I considered adding Tadlock and O' Sullivan. They'd probably both be in Tier A with Corbin, but Tadlock has a lifetime contract at TTU and O'Sullivan still hates us for not interviewing him 08. I probably would be a bit higher on Elliot Avent. He's been very complimentary of both our program and facilities in the past few years. Corbin is probably closer to 50%. But the problem with him is that I don't know how much longer he wants to do it. He's 61 and will be 62 before the start of the 24 season. If money was no option Vitello would be my choice. I mean he's 107-27 in the last two years. He's a dynamite recruiter and he's lightning rod. He'd have 15K at opening weekend next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I considered adding Tadlock and O' Sullivan. They'd probably both be in Tier A with Corbin, but Tadlock has a lifetime contract at TTU and O'Sullivan still hates us for not interviewing him 08. I probably would be a bit higher on Elliot Avent. He's been very complimentary of both our program and facilities in the past few years. Corbin is probably closer to 50%. But the problem with him is that I don't know how much longer he wants to do it. He's 61 and will be 62 before the start of the 24 season. If money was no option Vitello would be my choice. I mean he's 107-27 in the last two years. He's a dynamite recruiter and he's lightning rod. He'd have 15K at opening weekend next year.
    I think Vitello would scare the Yips right out of the pitchers. Since we are not paying to much for a Football Coach or a Basketball Coach or a WBC, you get get Vitello and Yeskie.

vCash

While I agree Corbin is the top on that list.

So today was not fun. Saturday was not fun. Last year was not fun. And the same problem is the cause for all of them. So let's just for a moment say this thing gets way sideways and firing Foxhall isn't enough to save Lemonis. Who do you go with? I think it's broken into 3-4 Tiers

2. Elliot Avent
    3. Butch
    4. Cliff Godwin
    5. Brian O' Conner
    6. Skip Johnson
    7. Scott Forbes
    9. Tom Walter
    10. Eric Bakich

2. Jordan Bischell
    3. Dan Heefner
    4. Christian Ostrander
    5. Rob Vaughn

2. Josh Elander
    3. Scott Brown
    4. Nate Yeskie
    ...he ain't going anywhere. He's the highest paid coach in D1 baseball plus has all the scholly advantages which gives him a steady supply of 4 and 5 star type talent. He'll retire at Vandy.

vCash
    I would throw everything we had at Vitello, but I would fully expect it to be a “National search” then end up promoting Gotro

vCash
    Tennessee would match and exceed what we would pay Vitello AND up their NIL to considerably more than what we can offer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post
    ...he ain't going anywhere. He's the highest paid coach in D1 baseball plus has all the scholly advantages which gives him a steady supply of 4 and 5 star type talent. He'll retire at Vandy.
    Scholarship advantages do not matter anymore. NIL balances that out. There are people around the sport that believe if he is going to leave he will do it in the next year or two.

It also becomes a how much are you willing to pay scenario. With Cohen you knew he would sacrifice everything to be elite at baseball. What will the mindset of Selmon be in regards to that would be something interesting to watch.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 02-22-2023 at 08:29 AM.

vCash
    Scholarship advantages do not matter anymore. NIL balances that out. There are people around the sport that believe if he is going to leave he will do it in the next year or two.

It also becomes a how much are you willing to pay scenario. With Cohen you knew he would sacrifice everything to be elite at baseball. What will the mindset of Selmon be in regards to that would be something interesting to watch.
    Not if you don't have enough NIL money to cover everyone's tuition.....their players get their tuition and the nil money goes straight in their pockets.....
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Can any of them realize that their freshman 3 hole hitter needs to be moved down in a lineup? Also what are their thoughts on a 3 year starter at SS who can?t hit (hitting .073 right now) and isn?t as good as advertised in the field continuing to play?

vCash
    I just don't see him being fired, even if we miss the SECT and finish last in the West, which right now both seem likely. Now, his seat will be scorching HOT but I think he'll get another year. We do have some talented young kids and that may be his only salvation.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash

2. Elliot Avent
    3. Butch
    4. Cliff Godwin
    5. Brian O' Conner
    6. Skip Johnson
    7. Scott Forbes
    9. Tom Walter
    10. Eric Bakich

2. Jordan Bischell
    3. Dan Heefner
    4. Christian Ostrander
    5. Rob Vaughn

2. Josh Elander
    3. Scott Brown
    4. Nate Yeskie
    If Skip Johnson, Tom Walter, Scott Stricklin, and Scott Forbes are in Tier B, Heefner belongs in Tier B. He's better than all of them. You could make the argument Vaughn is as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    If Skip Johnson, Tom Walter, Scott Stricklin, and Scott Forbes are in Tier B, Heefner belongs in Tier B. He's better than all of them. You could make the argument Vaughn is as well.
    here's another name that should be on the list somewhere probably in Tier C or D and that's Lane Burroughs. He's done a heck'uva good job at La Tech.

vCash
    There should never be a tier C or D for a head baseball coach here if you have a AD with a pulse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    I just don't see him being fired, even if we miss the SECT and finish last in the West, which right now both seem likely. Now, his seat will be scorching HOT but I think he'll get another year. We do have some talented young kids and that may be his only salvation.
    I agree. For now at least. Get a new pitching coach and see what 2024 holds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Depends. The only real problem we should have this year is pitching. Maybe catcher based on the freshman not being ready. I still expect our offense and defense to be solid to good this year. If they are, and we just suck at pitching, I think a new pitching coach is probably sufficient. If what we have seen so far is actually who this team is, then I don't think you can hang your hat on recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    There should never be a tier C or D for a head baseball coach here if you have a AD with a pulse
    The truest words that have ever been spoken on Elitedawgs.
    Last edited by Mjoelner34; 02-22-2023 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Oh 1000%. I said the other night the search, if Selmon is competent, wouldn't get past Tier B. And truthfully some of those Tier C guys are probably Tier B. Like Jake will get an interview for the Head job. If Heefner showed interest, then he would probably get an interview.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. For now at least. Get a new pitching coach and see what 2024 holds.

Why are you married to keeping Lemonis? I don't believe changing pitching coaches is going to do a damn bit of difference. This is a talent problem not a development problem, or at least not the development problems you expect at the high D1 Level. I mean we're having to teach guys how to throw strikes. Also, if we go the fire Foxhall direction which I unfortunately think is what will happen, what coach would sign on for one year knowing that Lemonis is basically a lame duck.

vCash
    Only way for gotro
    Bring Cannizzaro back as hitting coach - dude knows hitting and can identify talent - made rooker a 1st rounder
    Go find the best pitching coach that understands the metrics and development (like a treadathletics or driveline) - you can take an 17yr old that can pitch at 87-90 and turn him into 94-96 with proper development