Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We should throw the bank at Ostrander.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    No Dan Heefner? He?d be in my top 3-4 names
    He has stated on multiple occasions that he will not leave DBU. We tried to interview him in 19. He would be in that Tier B as well. Below Butch and Avent though.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 02-21-2023 at 12:16 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Jay Johnson is notoriously not good to work for.
    This is not some guess. This is from people that know Chris very well. He is not leaving. He and his family are happy and well taken care of in Hattiesburg. He will wait out Berry and take over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    USM (the university, not the baseball program) seems like they are always in a precarious situation. Their leadership over the last several years has been like a turnstile and most of those haven?t been very good.
    Lots of pressure with MSU and Ole Miss winning Titles in baseball. And even Delta State has one in D2.

The issue is they're not a SEC team meaning it's hard for them to recruit the talent they need to win a title. And then you have SEC teams poaching their players. A lot of USM fans were fired up about what they had coming back- and then Florida took their ace. They weren't even really competitive against Ole Miss in their SR. At home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This is not some guess. This is from people that know Chris very well. He is not leaving. He and his family are happy and well taken care of in Hattiesburg. He will wait out Berry and take over.
    That's fair. I still think he would definitely listen and probably take our job because it's better and they could still hire him at USM when that job comes open. I'm sure he's playing the long game if and when an opportunity arises there.

vCash
    That's fair. I still think he would definitely listen and probably take our job because it's better and they could still hire him at USM when that job comes open. I'm sure he's playing the long game if and when an opportunity arises there.
    He would not. Did not listen to LSU or FSU this past summer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandjunky View Post
    No Dan Heefner? He?d be in my top 3-4 names
    He's one of the best in the business, but I don't think he wants to leave DBU.

Saying that, I'd make him say no 100 times.

vCash
    Gautreau at some point here.

vCash
    Foxhall goes or Lemonis goes. Wouldnt mind both.

vCash
    Meanwhile, Ostrander's D3 transfer pitcher, Billy Oldham, throws 5 scoreless tonight with no hits, no walks, and 9ks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Foxhall goes or Lemonis goes. Wouldnt mind both.
    They go together. Lemonis is allowing this and our issues tonight were as much defense and hitting as it was pitching

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    Meanwhile, Ostrander's D3 transfer pitcher, Billy Oldham, throws 5 scoreless tonight with no hits, no walks, and 9ks.
    Yeah that's the thing, we're in a Portal era with a immediate eligibility transfer rule.

Have Luke Hancock as your first baseman for a year? Sucks, but we understand holes in lineups happen. The problem is not getting a better 1B in the portal for the next year. Then, imagine having Luke Hancock on your team for 2 years but having zero clue he's got a noodle arm and can't play catcher, I mean WTF?? How did we not know we needed a Portal catcher before 11 bases got stolen in 1 game?

And then we keep bad pitchers, and target Portal guys who suck and miss the gems like that D3 transfer.

What are we doing? We can't develop the guys we have (Forsythe), we can't evaluate the skills of the guys we have (Hancock), we can't evaluate Portal talent, and we can't get the Portal talent we do target (Skenes). I mean we get some good players in the Portal and HS don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jordan or Larry aren't great gets for Lemo... but I am saying he's missing at way too high a rate to build a solid team. He's supposed to be an elite recruiter, but he's failing to build a roster at every level

vCash
    no million dollar result with a 75 cent effort from the top down

vCash
    Tom will tell us everything we need to know. We got plum embarrassed tonight and Lemonis even said so. If someone (and I’m not sure we even have one, even the guy with the C. I saw Highfill talk more to the pitchers than Hancock did) step up and lead us and fire us up, we are doomed.

I understand more than most that baseball is a long long season and can change quickly. Hell my junior year we started 5-7 and then went 31-3 and won a Natty, it took the coach literally sitting every one, including me, and playing true freshman to wake everyone up. We had leaders tho. I’m not sure State does.

Now if we can’t turn it around, we’re gonna learn a lot about Selmon. I still don’t think Lemonis would be fired, but if he was, I would literally throw the bank at Vitello. I want the swag. I want the cockiness. I want the teams that are gritty and act like they give a shit.

We have too many right now who look like they are just going through the motions and don’t give a shit. Hell, our catcher has let everyone including my grandmother steal 2nd and what does he do, he is doing the damn splits with a runner on 1st. Get your ass up and get ready for the ball!!

I have worked nights and then been waking up early to watch us play, tom I think I’ll sleep…

vCash
    Yea he may say no to a lot. But at this point, if I'm Lemonis and my ass is on the line, I ask him what it would take to get him and find a way to make it happen.

vCash
    Ostrander isn't leaving. It's not about money. He was offered the LSU job this summer and turned it down. He's biding his time and is going to take over for Berry.
    He wasn't offered. He was on their list. His daughter is in school at State. Berry is going die in that USM uniform. I heard it straight from Berry last year. He's nowhere near retirement. Said he's coaching as long as he can. Hell, Foxhall makes as much as Berry.
    Even so, just hire a competent pitching coach. We don't have one.
    And I'm starting to question the other coaches too. Defense is trash.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 02-22-2023 at 12:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Tom will tell us everything we need to know. We got plum embarrassed tonight and Lemonis even said so. If someone (and I’m not sure we even have one, even the guy with the C. I saw Highfill talk more to the pitchers than Hancock did) step up and lead us and fire us up, we are doomed.

I understand more than most that baseball is a long long season and can change quickly. Hell my junior year we started 5-7 and then went 31-3 and won a Natty, it took the coach literally sitting every one, including me, and playing true freshman to wake everyone up. We had leaders tho. I’m not sure State does.

Now if we can’t turn it around, we’re gonna learn a lot about Selmon. I still don’t think Lemonis would be fired, but if he was, I would literally throw the bank at Vitello. I want the swag. I want the cockiness. I want the teams that are gritty and act like they give a shit.

We have too many right now who look like they are just going through the motions and don’t give a shit. Hell, our catcher has let everyone including my grandmother steal 2nd and what does he do, he is doing the damn splits with a runner on 1st. Get your ass up and get ready for the ball!!

I have worked nights and then been waking up early to watch us play, tom I think I’ll sleep…
    I think this is what we see tomorrow. I think we see a field placement of:

1B-Hancock
    2B-Larry
    SS-Hujsak/Mershon
    3B- Downs
    RF-Chance
    CF-Jordan
    LF-Ledbetter
    C-Highfill
    DH-Hines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Yeah that's the thing, we're in a Portal era with a immediate eligibility transfer rule.

Have Luke Hancock as your first baseman for a year? Sucks, but we understand holes in lineups happen. The problem is not getting a better 1B in the portal for the next year. Then, imagine having Luke Hancock on your team for 2 years but having zero clue he's got a noodle arm and can't play catcher, I mean WTF?? How did we not know we needed a Portal catcher before 11 bases got stolen in 1 game?

And then we keep bad pitchers, and target Portal guys who suck and miss the gems like that D3 transfer.

What are we doing? We can't develop the guys we have (Forsythe), we can't evaluate the skills of the guys we have (Hancock), we can't evaluate Portal talent, and we can't get the Portal talent we do target (Skenes). I mean we get some good players in the Portal and HS don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jordan or Larry aren't great gets for Lemo... but I am saying he's missing at way too high a rate to build a solid team. He's supposed to be an elite recruiter, but he's failing to build a roster at every level
    We messed up with the portal last year. We were too nice to guys who were on the team already even though we had holes last year like literally no established LHP.

Biggest concern to me right now is defense believe it or not. I can't figure that one out other than we are just trying to do too much or we aren't working on it enough one of the two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

I think your leaders have to perform at some point. When your captain can't throw it to second base that's a problem.

vCash
    I think this is what we see tomorrow. I think we see a field placement of:

1B-Hancock
    2B-Larry
    SS-Hujsak/Mershon
    3B- Downs
    RF-Chance
    CF-Jordan
    LF-Ledbetter
    C-Highfill
    DH-Hines
    Mershon is hurt. But I could see us going with Hujsak or Will Hoyle. I know Hoyle can't hit but if he makes plays it would help in the short term until Mershon is back. Hujsak is a better hitter but not sure that he makes us better defensively.

I've suggested Chance in RF. Sure he can't throw but hard to take him out right now.

vCash
    We messed up with the portal last year. We were too nice to guys who were on the team already even though we had holes last year like literally no established LHP.

Biggest concern to me right now is defense believe it or not. I can't figure that one out other than we are just trying to do too much or we aren't working on it enough one of the two.
    No we messed up in 2021 and we're reaping the benefits now. We should have taken a MINIMUM of 4 position players (SS, 2B, CF, RF) and 6 pitchers from the portal and I think we took 2 or 3 total players. This all leads back to what I saw in July of 2021. I said it then and I have said it every day since, celebrating that team like we did was dumb as hell. It gave everyone from the coaches to the players to the damn managers and bullpen catchers this entitlement that their s*** didn't stink. We thought we were fine and we didn't need to improve. Cohen should've had Lemonis in his office July 1 asking what's the plan for the portal and for next year.