Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We should throw the bank at Ostrander.

vCash

We should throw the bank at Ostrander.

That's all I've got.

vCash
    Woody Foxhall is going to get Sylvester Lemonis in hot water.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Ostrander isn't leaving. It's not about money. He was offered the LSU job this summer and turned it down. He's biding his time and is going to take over for Berry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Ostrander isn't leaving. It's not about money. He was offered the LSU job this summer and turned it down. He's biding his time and is going to take over for Berry.
    May or may not have been talking about as head coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    May or may not have been talking about as head coach.
    I would hope we'd shoot higher if we had to move on from Lemonis.

vCash
    You are probably right. Berry was on the local Hburg news talking about usm’s success being the result of a long period of stability and very little change. I’d bet that Berry has already decided when he will retire and hand it off to Ostrander.

Something to watch though, usm fans are especially antsy after olemiss followed us up with a national title. They are sure they can do it now and will start to get impatient.

vCash
    Is USM his destination job? Is Berry retiring after this season.

I mean he could be our pitching coach and then take their job when it becomes available. That's sort of what happened with Butch Thompson. Our pitching coaches have all landed head coaching jobs going back to Keith Madison and MSU has a great reputation for producing head baseball coaches.

And we can pay more too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    You are probably right. Berry was on the local Hburg news talking about usm’s success being the result of a long period of stability and very little change. I’d bet that Berry has already decided when he will retire and hand it off to Ostrander.

Something to watch though, usm fans are especially antsy after olemiss followed us up with a national title. They are sure they can do it now and will start to get impatient.
    I guess Lane Burroughs is going for a SEC job? I don't blame him but until that happens I'm sure he would be a candidate if USM came open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I guess Lane Burroughs is going for a SEC job? I don't blame him but until that happens I'm sure he would be a candidate if USM came open.
    La tech just got a new facility. He's not leaving there for usm. Bad trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    La tech just got a new facility. He's not leaving there for usm. Bad trade.
    It's a lateral move but USM would be closer to home for him.

vCash
    I don't even think it's lateral. But one can make that point. But it doesn't help him get closer to a big job. He can do that from la tech.

vCash
    Throwing another idea out, if we can Lemonis would we bring Butch back home from Auburn?

vCash
    Is USM his destination job? Is Berry retiring after this season.

I mean he could be our pitching coach and then take their job when it becomes available. That's sort of what happened with Butch Thompson. Our pitching coaches have all landed head coaching jobs going back to Keith Madison and MSU has a great reputation for producing head baseball coaches.

And we can pay more too.
    Second sentence of my post, "IT'S NOT ABOUT MONEY". Ostrander turned down LSU. That's a better job than ours. He's happy in Hattiesburg. He'll get that job when Berry retires, which will probably be in the next 2-3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    Throwing another idea out, if we can Lemonis would we bring Butch back home from Auburn?
    He would be in Tier B. And that's only because Tier A is your home run blank check type guys and there's probably only two of those, Tim Corbin and Tony Vitello. Tier B would be Butch, Elliot Avent at NCSU, Skip Johnson at OU, Cliff Godwin, Tom Walter at Wake, Scott Forbes at UNC, and probably Brian O Conner. Tier C would be Scott Berry, Lane Burroughs, Jordan Bischell, Kirk Sarloos, and Gautreau. You wouldn't get passed Tier B because I'm fairly certain Elliot Avent would crawl on broken glass to Starkville to coach us.

And again, we're not firing Lemonis unless this thing gets EXTREMELY sideways and way off the rails.

vCash
    He would be in Tier B. And that's only because Tier A is your home run blank check type guys and there's probably only two of those, Tim Corbin and Tony Vitello. Tier B would be Butch, Elliot Avent at NCSU, Skip Johnson at OU, Cliff Godwin, Tom Walter at Wake, Scott Forbes at UNC, and probably Brian O Conner. Tier C would be Scott Berry, Lane Burroughs, Jordan Bischell, Kirk Sarloos, and Gautreau. You wouldn't get passed Tier B because I'm fairly certain Elliot Avent would crawl on broken glass to Starkville to coach us.

And again, we're not firing Lemonis unless this thing gets EXTREMELY sideways and way off the rails.
    No Dan Heefner? He?d be in my top 3-4 names

vCash
    They do call it over-reaction weekend

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    We can but Cohen is gonna fight it hard.

But we are a much better baseball job than auburn by miles.

Butch Thompson is the next MSU head baseball coach.

vCash
    Second sentence of my post, "IT'S NOT ABOUT MONEY". Ostrander turned down LSU. That's a better job than ours. He's happy in Hattiesburg. He'll get that job when Berry retires, which will probably be in the next 2-3 years.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Jay Johnson is notoriously not good to work for.

vCash
    USM (the university, not the baseball program) seems like they are always in a precarious situation. Their leadership over the last several years has been like a turnstile and most of those haven’t been very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    We can but Cohen is gonna fight it hard.

But we are a much better baseball job than auburn by miles.

Butch Thompson is the next MSU head baseball coach.
    We sure have fired a coach quick. Wow.