Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Forward at C, 1B, and DH

vCash

Moving Forward at C, 1B, and DH

So what do we do at these positions moving forward? I believe we're going to need Hines bat in the lineup to be the best version of our team so we really have 3 choices

1. Start Hancock at Catcher, put Hines back at 1st, and either DH or play Chance in the field. You would just DH whoever's spot he's playing in the field out of all likelihood.

2. Do what we saw today and start Highfill at Catcher, Hancock at 1B, and Chance DH's with Hines on the bench.

3. Start Highfill at C, Hines at 1B, and you DH Hancock.

Unfortunately benching Hancock is not going to be an option. They gave him that captain's C and they won't bench him unless it's the last option they have. There's also the fact that he's exiting the weekend with a .545 batting avg. As much as I hate to say it because we're going to need Hines to produce for us this year, we may need to roll with what we saw today next weekend. Because I don't believe benching Chance is an option either. He's batting .583 exiting the weekend and hits the ball to all fields.

vCash
    This is a good problem to have, but it's a problem for keeping talented kids happy.

Hancock isn't going to get better at catcher. Highfill is clearly the better defensive option.

But like you said. Hancock is a captain and isn't going to get benched. Hines being on the outside looking in sucks. He's got a lot of talent. But I'm not sure Hancock can play catcher and if Highfill can hit, it will be hard to bench him.

That means Hancock has to play 1B if he's going to play or he does to DH and you bench Chance who went off this weekend.

vCash
    Hines is gonna play way more than he sits. Hancock is better at first, at present than Hines. I think you'll see a musical chairs like we did in 89 w so much talent offensively. One guy out of 3 or four gonna have to sit every day. Might be who is pitching. Who we are facing. Lots of factors. I think Clark will sit some as well. Highfill has a better arm, but we lose offense..... it's putting the right pieces together to maximize what we have. Larry, Alford, Ledbetter and Jordan are gonna play everyday. Hancock is going to be in there too. Ss doesn't factor into this but only two options- Mershon and foresyrhe.

vCash
    Hines hit 300 and had 16 bombs as a freshman. If we sit him, that?s stupid. Hancock is a career, what, 260 hitter?

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    Highfill has to catch - we can?t have 12 SBs in a weekend.

Hines can?t sit - he?s our best hitter

Hancock also a good hitter ?> DH and playing first every now and then.

Done and done

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Hines hit 300 and had 16 bombs as a freshman. If we sit him, that?s stupid. Hancock is a career, what, 260 hitter?
    We are not sitting Hines. Lemonis said as much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post

Done and done
    Then what do you do about Bryce Chance? Who statistically after the weekend is our best hitter.

vCash

Done and done
    I would be willing to bet in the whole 100+ years of MSU baseball history that we've never had a game where we gave up 12 walks and 11 stolen bases in the same game like we did yesterday. Giving away 23 free bases is beyond ridiculous to anyone, much less a bottom feeder. So no, I don't see anyway Hancock can be our regular starting catcher.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Then what do you do about Bryce Chance? Who statistically after the weekend is our best hitter.
    Only thing I can see going forward is Luke catches every 3rd or 4th game & then grabs some of Chance & Clark's at bats here & there. That's about all that can be done IMO.

vCash
    I'd say most likely scenario is Chance slumps and sits more often than the others. It's 3 games v VMI, he's going to have young player growing pains

vCash
    The weak link is at shortstop. But Hines has to play. If not, you might see him in Powder Blue next year. And that would suck. Fox has to work more with the pitchers holding runners to protect Hancock and Hancock has to catch. You sit the freshman catcher and play Hines at 1st.

Give Hancock the occasional day off behind the plate with Highfill. If Chance slumps, we have options for DH. We literally have no way to get Forsythe off the field with anyone other than Mershon.

WHO else on this roster can play SS?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    The weak link is at shortstop. But Hines has to play. If not, you might see him in Powder Blue next year. And that would suck. Fox has to work more with the pitchers holding runners to protect Hancock and Hancock has to catch. You sit the freshman catcher and play Hines at 1st.

Give Hancock the occasional day off behind the plate with Highfill. If Chance slumps, we have options for DH. We literally have no way to get Forsythe off the field with anyone other than Mershon.

Kinda the way I see it too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post

And that's one of the problems as well because I do tend to agree that Hancock probably is still going to have to catch but it's bad when your pitchers have to worry about the guy behind the plate every time someone gets on. I agree we have to hold runners better but Hancock still has to be markedly better behind the plate than he was this weekend.

vCash
    I don’t think Chance will DH ahead of Hines. He might hit for a higher avg than Hines, but he won’t hit near as many HR’s. I would imagine Chance will get a lot of ABs though, especially against lefties, assuming he continues to hit.

Lemonis has said Hines can play OF some, so we might see Clark get a break if he is slumping. Lots of variables.

Hines defense at 1B and Hancock’s defense at C is gumming up the works, so it will probably lead to lots of different lineups.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I forgot about Chance .

We have a dilemma

vCash
    I doubt Chance sustains this level of play.

So he eventually will be the one who sits.

Highfill will need to rest some though. He's a freshman and this year is going to be a grind for him. Which means Hancock will have to catch some.

vCash
    I forgot about Chance .

We have a dilemma
    Offensively it's a great problem to have and if Hancock can not allow 11 SBs a game, maybe knock it down to 3-4, then we'll be fine defensively as well.

vCash
    Some of you same guys complaining about recruiting yesterday are now wondering how we can play all this talent in a lineup at once....LOLZ....but we can't recruit or develop..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Some of you same guys complaining about recruiting yesterday are now wondering how we can play all this talent in a lineup at once....LOLZ....but we can't recruit or develop..
    In the defense of those people, myself included, none of these players are pitchers. No one has complained about our hitting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Ha! We have no star quality pitcher that has been recruited by this staff. The previous staffs, recruited star quality pitchers and left the current staff several golden arms, who are no longer on the team. We have 1 hole in the day to day line up and nobody capable of filling it. We have multiple outfielders and not enough positions to get them in the lineup. We have a plethora of Designated Hitters and only 1 slot to fit them. If any of the extra outfielders or DH?s could play SS, we could fix the 1 major hole in the lineup.