Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our BASEBALL TEAM should be Embarrassed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Who on our staff gives you confidence? I mean I can't think of anyone that has proven they can do it. No one. Now maybe they prove us all wrong and we cobble together some semblance of a reliable bullpen but I don't see it right now.
    I don't say we'd be OK, because I don't feel confident we will. As you say we have very little proven, and seeing guys fail today (including the #2 starter) is doing nothing to fill me with confidence.

But I recognize that it can take more than 1 game to have sorted out the good vs mediocre players, and that sometimes guys emerge. "I can't name you proven studs on opening weekend" doesn't mean there are no studs on the team.

vCash
    Also wondering when the college trade deadline is ***

vCash
    Didnt Will Rogers pitch in high school? Thinking of enrolled students that are eligible***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I'm just here for the melt. Got popcorn going if anyone else would like some.

I've never been one for the early season total melt. But we have GLARING BIG TIME issues. We have a guy playing catcher, that we convinced to come back and are spending NIL funds on btw, who is currently being stolen on at 6.5 runners per game clip. We have a bullpen that can't throw strikes. These aren't just dang we had a bad game issues. These are issues that should've been fixed in the offseason. We've known Hancock couldn't throw for 3 years. There's a reason he never even remotely pushed Logan Tanner. We had a bullpen who gave up walks at a record breaking clip last year. That's the one thing you should've damn made sure you corrected this year.

Now luckily the catcher situation can hopefully be remedied pretty quickly. But the bullpen issue will continue to be a legitimate concern until they prove they can do it. Until they prove that they can be reliable for multiple games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    You say "team", like the hitters didn't put up 13 and compete till the end. Defense was bad asside from Larry making a couple great plays, and the pitching was unacceptable. But the offense can't be lumped into the blame train

Early season is where you find out what pitchers can go and who can't. The problem in the game is that almost every pitcher looked like a "cant". The problem for the seaons is that many of those "can't"s are guys we NEED to be good
    Hmmm ... Did we trot out different players to play D than the players doing the hitting.

vCash
    To put this stat into perspective. Dustin Skelton allowed 39 runners to steal on him the ENITRE 2019 season. Logan Tanner allowed 31 runners to steal on him the ENTIRE 2021 season. Luke Hancock has allowed 13 runners to steal through two games.
    That's the biggest red flag of the game to me. Pitchers being bad maybe it's just a bad weekend or there's good pitchers on the bench to replace them going forward. But VMI coaches looked at our catcher and felt confident he can't throw any of their runners out, EVEN AT 3RD!!! So they stole any base at will and Hancock proved them right.

That can't be allowed. A 1 out singe cannot be turned into a double the next pitch. We HAVE to have a catcher teams are worried to run on. I've never seen a catcher get this little respect since I played little league and the coach decided out of the blue to make me catch a game for the first time in my life lol

vCash
    I don't say we'd be OK, because I don't feel confident we will. As you say we have very little proven, and seeing guys fail today (including the #2 starter) is doing nothing to fill me with confidence.

But I recognize that it can take more than 1 game to have sorted out the good vs mediocre players, and that sometimes guys emerge. "I can't name you proven studs on opening weekend" doesn't mean there are no studs on the team.

And I agree with you there. But you've had all fall and spring to find guys you can rely on. It just sucks that we continually have to find out these kids can't hack it in big time situations. I don't know how we simulate pressure in practice but it needs to change. We can't run a kid out there and just hope he figures it out.

The other problem is that I don't see any pitchers with that Landon Sims F YOU about them. I think Dohm has that in him though and that's encouraging.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I've never been one for the early season total melt. But we have GLARING BIG TIME issues. We have a guy playing catcher, that we convinced to come back and are spending NIL funds on btw, who is currently being stolen on at 6.5 runners per game clip. We have a bullpen that can't throw strikes. These aren't just dang we had a bad game issues. These are issues that should've been fixed in the offseason. We've known Hancock couldn't throw for 3 years. There's a reason he never even remotely pushed Logan Tanner. We had a bullpen who gave up walks at a record breaking clip last year. That's the one thing you should've damn made sure you corrected this year.

Now luckily the catcher situation can hopefully be remedied pretty quickly. But the bullpen issue will continue to be a legitimate concern until they prove they can do it. Until they prove that they can be reliable for multiple games.
    Yep, first you cancel the NIL checks and offer it to anyone that can throw out a runner and defend the plate at a 10th grade level.
    Next, pitchers that walk batters have to do sprints after the game, or hell, make them do them during the game while the batter is walking to first.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    That's the biggest red flag of the game to me. Pitchers being bad maybe it's just a bad weekend or there's good pitchers on the bench to replace them going forward. But VMI coaches looked at our catcher and felt confident he can't throw any of their runners out, EVEN AT 3RD!!! So they stole any base at will and Hancock proved them right.

That can't be allowed. A 1 out singe cannot be turned into a double the next pitch. We HAVE to have a catcher teams are worried to run on. I've never seen a catcher get this little respect since I played little league and the coach decided out of the blue to make me catch a game for the first time in my life lol
    Yep. imagine trying to pitch when you know if you make a mistake it automatically is runners in scoring position. That is how you 17 with a pitchers head.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Yep. imagine trying to pitch when you know if you make a mistake it automatically is runners in scoring position. That is how you 17 with a pitchers head.
    EXACTLY. Walks are automatically doubles and triples. It forces a pitcher to pitch almost perfectly.

vCash

Anyone that is a fully competent adult can see the issues we have. I'm just lightening the mood, Francis...

vCash
    Anyone that is a fully competent adult can see the issues we have. I'm just lightening the mood, Francis...
    You'd be surprised. There are people who aren't worried in the least bit. They think today was just an anomaly. Let that sink in. There were people who watched today's game and aren't worried that are catcher was stolen on 11 times or that we walked 11 batters, after leading conference in walks out of the bullpen last year.

vCash
    To put this stat into perspective. Dustin Skelton allowed 39 runners to steal on him the ENITRE 2019 season. Logan Tanner allowed 31 runners to steal on him the ENTIRE 2021 season. Luke Hancock has allowed 13 runners to steal through two games.
    Agree with you here, we have a huge problem at catcher. Luke also had a passed ball today that allowed a run.

vCash
    Sure, we can bring in another catcher to hopefully work that issue, but if anyone thinks Foxhall can fix these pitchers that can't throw strikes, well then I don't what to tell you but you obviously haven't been watching this team for the last year. Foxhall doesn't have a clue how to teach a pitcher to throw it in the zone. I really don't have a clue why we brought Stinnett back. Based on last year he should just be called Wild Thing.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-18-2023 at 08:15 PM.

vCash
    Hell, we need the black magic uniforms back cause we aren't winning on talent. We need luck....AND LOTS OF IT.
    Black magic or not. The university has sold plenty of black caps and 85 jerseys. You're getting white caps and Cleftate. Got to sell that new merch to the masses.

vCash
    So does anyone else think we should've just rode out the storm with Cann and let him stay? I've had that thought for the better part of a year now. Because I believe he'd have won a Natty in 21. Hell he got a team pitching position players to a Super

vCash
    We have pitching problems and catching problems. Combined, those are a recipe for a lot of losses. If things do not improve, we may win 6-8 conference games and our program will be at the bottom of the SEC.

vCash
    Didnt Will Rogers pitch in high school? Thinking of enrolled students that are eligible***
    From the mound to the plate is a really long throw and has to have zip on it.******

vCash
    So does anyone else think we should've just rode out the storm with Cann and let him stay? I've had that thought for the better part of a year now. Because I believe he'd have won a Natty in 21. Hell he got a team pitching position players to a Super
    LOL. NO!

vCash
    lemonhead officially on the clock............