Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: State vs mizzou basketball GDT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    Gotta keep Reed on the bench!
    He's beyond struggling but the only options we have are Rumph and Russell. Honestly don't think they're the answer. Just keep praying Reed and Davis find the bottom of the net.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    Tolu is the core, Cam is the heart, Shak starting to give us a little guard play, Tyler giving us some midrange off the bench and DJ going hard to the rim. If we can get Davis and/or Reed involved, we are going to be a NIGHTMARE for teams.
    Last 3 games Tylers coming off the bench has been a big factor, 22 mins 10 pts, tonight against SC 17 mins 12 Pts, TCU 14 mins 10 Pts, Bama

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardDrayton View Post
    He's beyond struggling but the only options we have are Rumph and Russell. Honestly don't think they're the answer. Just keep praying Reed and Davis find the bottom of the net.
    Yeah. Shak and Davis can't play 40 minutes and it was worse today because Shak had foul trouble. Jans obviously thinks Reed is the best option. Hopefully his shots start to fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Davis didn't score any but he had 6 assists. But Reed 0-6 3pt WTF.
    He passed up a couple shots tonight driving to the basket that he should have taken.

That's one thing that bothers me about a couple of our guys. There are moments where they seem scared to take a shot when it's open.

Jans has the right philosophy here. If it's open and it's the right shot, shoot it.

But outside of that, this team is playing with a lot of energy and passion. A far far cry from what we looked like under Howland. Every possession matters to Jans and he's coaching his ass off every possession.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    He passed up a couple shots tonight driving to the basket that he should have taken.

That's one thing that bothers me about a couple of our guys. There are moments where they seem scared to take a shot when it's open.

Jans has the right philosophy here. If it's open and it's the right shot, shoot it.

But outside of that, this team is playing with a lot of energy and passion. A far far cry from what we looked like under Howland. Every possession matters to Jans and he's coaching his ass off every possession.
    I absolutely loved the way we came out of the locker to start the 2nd half. A lot of energy and pushed the lead out. Set the tone for the rest of the game. Opposite of a lot of games under Howland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    N.I.L.

Basketball needs it.
    Speaking of an NIL loss, would have liked to have had the additional perimeter shooting from Moseley if he could have avoided the off court issues in Starkville he seems to be having in Columbia.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 02-04-2023 at 11:36 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I'm still puzzled why Shawn Jones and Eric Reed get the playing time they do. They are both non factors. But we won so I can't complain too much
    Well you can unfortunately say one thing about Jones and Reed the last few games, their stat lines are consistently unbelievable for the amount of minutes that have both gotten. Have read Jans has said you don't play D, you don't play. That being said, Murphy, Hamilton, Russell must be horrible in practice on D, defensive liabilities. But, Reed and Jones are offensive liabilities. What little difference does this make? Have been to every home game and watched every road game. When we put in Jones and Reed, we lose our lead or it is threatened. Both of them in together is a disaster offensively. JMO.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 02-05-2023 at 12:16 AM.

vCash
    Agreed. And if they are doubling Tolu, the other center is the better option offensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

This is why I love watching us play. Jans gets more talent, we going places.

vCash
    I have complete confidence in Jans. The guys kept playing hard for him even during the losing streak.

Random note: The light bulb finally came on for Quinten Post. Always knew he had big time potential and he showed flashes here. He is on quite the run in the ACC right now.
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6/quinten-post

vCash
    Ive been saying for weeks Reed is a real liability. His metrics are on the bottom of the charts for every stat that measures the value you bring while in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    Ive been saying for weeks Reed is a real liability. His metrics are on the bottom of the charts for every stat that measures the value you bring while in the game.
    Horton (quit), Reed (0 foe 6 on wide open 3's last night, bad most of year), & Jones not SEC players. Playing any of them ahead of Moore earlier in the season may have cost a couple of victories. Don't understand the minutes that they are getting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Horton (quit), Reed (0 foe 6 on wide open 3's last night, bad most of year), & Jones not SEC players. Playing any of them ahead of Moore earlier in the season may have cost a couple of victories. Don't understand the minutes that they are getting.
    Then You don’t understand basketball.. we don’t have any better options ..
    Shaq was getting basically the same minutes starting as he was off the bench

You cant play as hard as we do on def and expect guys to play 40 even 35 minutes night in night out
    I have no clue why Hamilton / Russell / Murphy aren’t getting minutes now
    Maybe they don’t put forth the effort during the week to earn them

And it’s not like those guys are difference makers , if so they would be in the game
    Outside of that one dunk what has Russell done ? Hamilton isn’t ready and from my sources Murphy gives you zero reason during the week to get PT on game day
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 02-05-2023 at 06:02 PM.

vCash
    ari nails it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I agree. None of them should have played ahead of Moore. Reed had a few games he played good in but for the most part he hasn't been close to being an SEC starter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Then You don’t understand basketball.. we don’t have any better options ..

You cant play as hard as we do on def and expect guys to play 40 even 35 minutes night in night out
    I have no clue why Hamilton / Russell / Murphy aren’t getting minutes now
    Maybe they don’t put forth the effort during the week to earn them

And it’s not like those guys are difference makers , if so they would be in the game
    Outside of that one dunk what has Russell done ? Hamilton isn’t ready and from my sources Murphy gives you zero reason during the week to get PT on game day
    Well I understand basketball very well and all we can go off is what we see on the court. I've seen nothing to show me Shak should have been coming off the bench behind Horton, Reed or Shawn Jones. Shak should have been our starter from day 1, he is by far our best gaurd. Reed, Horton, Jones aren't even SEC gaurds.

I agree with you about Russell, other than the dunk he hasn't shown much but let's be honest, he barely gets the opportunity to show anything. He can't be any worse than Jones and Reed. I'd love to see him get meaningful game time minutes.

vCash
    Well I understand basketball very well and all we can go off is what we see on the court. I've seen nothing to show me Shak should have been coming off the bench behind Horton, Reed or Shawn Jones. Shak should have been our starter from day 1, he is by far our best gaurd. Reed, Horton, Jones aren't even SEC gaurds.

I agree with you about Russell, other than the dunk he hasn't shown much but let's be honest, he barely gets the opportunity to show anything. He can't be any worse than Jones and Reed. I'd love to see him get meaningful game time minutes.
    I agree with you. It was a huge mistake by Jans to not start Moore all season. It cost us at the start of games and at the start of 2nd halves. The UT PG played all 40 minutes against us and he was better down the stretch of the game than he was at the start of the game.

If Shak and Davis can stay out of foul trouble, they need to play 33 minutes+. Stevenson off the bench to rest DJ and Cam. And then McNair off the bench to rest Tolu since he can only play about 30-32 minutes at max effort. As for the 8th guy in the rotation, I would slightly lean to Jones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I agree with you. It was a huge mistake by Jans to not start Moore all season. It cost us at the start of games and at the start of 2nd halves. The UT PG played all 40 minutes against us and he was better down the stretch of the game than he was at the start of the game.

If Shak and Davis can stay out of foul trouble, they need to play 33 minutes+. Stevenson off the bench to rest DJ and Cam. And then McNair off the bench to rest Tolu since he can only play about 30-32 minutes at max effort. As for the 8th guy in the rotation, I would slightly lean to Jones.
    Good post and I agree at this point for the 8th guy you almost have to go with Jones just because he's played a decent amount so he is used to it but I would personally prefer Reed over Jones. Not a huge fan of either but Reed has shown flashes

vCash
    Good post and I agree at this point for the 8th guy you almost have to go with Jones just because he's played a decent amount so he is used to it but I would personally prefer Reed over Jones. Not a huge fan of either but Reed has shown flashes
    Ha! They must have been nanoflashes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Then You don?t understand basketball.. we don?t have any better options ..

I have no clue why Hamilton / Russell / Murphy aren?t getting minutes now
    Maybe they don?t put forth the effort during the week to earn them

And it?s not like those guys are difference makers , if so they would be in the game
    Outside of that one dunk what has Russell done ? Hamilton isn?t ready and from my sources Murphy gives you zero reason during the week to get PT on game day
    I do know a little about basketball. If you read my post #147 in this thread we share a few of the same questions and thoughts on these subjects. I appreciate your info on Murphy in practice, as this would explain lack of playing time. We have a very thin bench at guard with a lack of SEC level talent. Reed is in a terrible shooting slump. I was at the MO game and he was 0 for 6 on threes in mostly open looks. Go to all home games and recently when he and Jones have gone in when we have a lead, it diminishes. DJ is handling the ball better and looked good when he played the point against MO. If Moore /Davis get in foul trouble, this may be an option if Reed continues to struggle offensively. Finish Strong! Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 02-05-2023 at 10:19 PM.