Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coordinator and position coach interviews

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    And was going to continue running the ball more including recruiting more mobile QBs. By KB's standards Riley and Holgerson run pro style offenses.
    He didn't recruit Parson because he could run. He recruited him because he felt he add the accuracy and decision making ability to run his offense. The mobility aspect was just an added feature. Mike Leach wasn't going to suddenly start playing an inaccurate mobile QB, like Mike Wright, and completely changing his scheme to fit that inaccuracy.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    And was going to continue running the ball more including recruiting more mobile QBs. By KB's standards Riley and Holgerson run pro style offenses.
    Apparently we were the only team in America running a non pro style offense lol!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Increasing your runs by a little bit early in games isn't the same as making the running game the focal point of your offense.
    A little bit?!? Don't be dishonest. We went from 48% of our total rushes occurring in the first half of games last year to 57% this season. We increased our first quarter rushes by 36% from last year to this year. That's not a little bit, that's a shift in philosophy

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Regarding Harmon -

I have no idea what the kid wants to do, but I do know a little about him. I watched him n several games in high school. When he wanted to be, he was the best player on the field his soph and junior seasons of HS. He read the clippings/hype and it got to him a bit, but the results also humbled him after that junior year. He also had a great staff come in that pushed him and held him accountable his senior year and it made a huge difference for him internally.
    He was competing for playing time on the at X & Z positions with guys who are redshirt juniors and seniors. He wasn?t cracking that this year. He?s not the fastest, but the kid has got glue for hands and is much stronger than most would think for his size. He could very easily add 10lbs and be a solid TE hybrid. He is a definite possible matchup issue there for the nickel/strong or an OLB.
    Last edited by Westdawg; 02-02-2023 at 07:32 PM.

vCash
    He didn't recruit Parson because he could run. He recruited him because he felt he add the accuracy and decision making ability to run his offense. The mobility aspect was just an added feature. Mike Leach wasn't going to suddenly start playing an inaccurate mobile QB, like Mike Wright, and completely changing his scheme to fit that inaccuracy.
    Serious question.

How do you clean up all that bullshit that leaks out of your ears?

vCash
    Serious question.

How do you clean up all that bullshit that leaks out of your ears?
    Obviously you have to buy into the whole always run never pass philosophy most of you want, because if you dare think that passing the ball is more important/effective/efficient than running the ball, you get criticized.

The same apparently applies to those who believe in what Mike Leach was doing and prefers to see what he was building continue and not get town down.

vCash
    Obviously you have to buy into the whole always run never pass philosophy most of you want, because if you dare think that passing the ball is more important/effective/efficient than running the ball, you get criticized.

The same apparently applies to those who believe in what Mike Leach was doing and prefers to see what he was building continue and not get town down.
    Not one person has advocated to always run it and never pass. Not a single person. That is one of biggest reasons you get blasted, you just flat out lie for an agenda and/or lying to troll.

vCash

More bs spewed by you. Again, nobody has said always run never pass. You just come back with that bs line and use it as your defense. Just keep making crap up.

vCash
    It's not going to change the fact that he runs a pro style offense and admitted it in that interview, and I told you weeks ago that he ran a pro style offense.
    There's a lot that you don't understand about football (like all of it), but let's start with just your main fallacy here. You keep running around saying "pro-style offense" and screaming that the world is ending and our pets' heads are falling off. However, you don't even know what pro-style offense means. All it means is we are going to run plays out of multiple formations (hence the need to add a TE back into the equation) and we are going to use motion. That's it. It has no bearing on how much we run or pass the ball.

Are we going to run the ball more? Yes. No one passes the ball as much as Mike Leach did. There's nothing anyone can do about that. There's literally no one we could have hired that wasn't going to run the ball more than Leach did. That's a fact. The thing that remains to be seen is HOW much more we will run it. We'll just have to wait and see. You don't know and I don't know.

I know you wanted to keep the AR, but the pure Air Raid died with Mike Leach. It sucks, but we can't change it. Could we have stuck closer to the AR than what we did? Yes, for sure. But that in and of itself doesn't mean what we did is destined to fail. Pro Style is not a death knell for us
    Good coaches exist across all schemes. All we can do is sit back and wait to see if we hired good coaches or not. Enough with the sky screaming already. It's useless. You can't change a thing and you just look crazy at this point. Suck it up, you tit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    There's a lot that you don't understand about football (like all of it), but let's start with just your main fallacy here. You keep running around saying "pro-style offense" and screaming that the world is ending and our pets' heads are falling off. However, you don't even know what pro-style offense means. All it means is we are going to run plays out of multiple formations (hence the need to add a TE back into the equation) and we are going to use motion. That's it. It has no bearing on how much we run or pass the ball.

Are we going to run the ball more? Yes. No one passes the ball as much as Mike Leach did. There's nothing anyone can do about that. There's literally no one we could have hired that wasn't going to run the ball more than Leach did. That's a fact. The thing that remains to be seen is HOW much more we will run it. We'll just have to wait and see. You don't know and I don't know.

I know you wanted to keep the AR, but the pure Air Raid died with Mike Leach. It sucks, but we can't change it. Could we have stuck closer to the AR than what we did? Yes, for sure. But that in and of itself doesn't mean what we did is destined to fail. Pro Style is not a death knell for us
    Good coaches exist across all schemes. All we can do is sit back and wait to see if we hired good coaches or not. Enough with the sky screaming already. It's useless. You can't change a thing and you just look crazy at this point. Suck it up, you tit.
    Excellent post and dead on a accurate on everything!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Hey maybe Harmon has come around to the idea. I have no problem with any of them trying it if they are up for it and are willing to work. I just have caution on the idea that Harmon is automatically going to be a TE and be better. He got passed multiple times on the depth chart last year and I doubt it is because he was out of position.. Clayton and Ellis are strictly being put out there for bodies.
    How do you know Clayton and Ellis won?t be able to compete? Sure Goede is likely the starter but Clayton was a TE in HS. Harmon ought to have good hands and route running. We need more than one guy though. I would love to see real Jumbo packages for goal line situations. You never know what some of these kids may be able to do when given the chance.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    You're the definition of c u n t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post

Hmm. . I?m curious about something. How exactly do I not know what a pro style offense is when I am the only one who identified this offense as a pro style system?

The people who have questioned me on this have consistently denied the fact that this is a pro style system. They have consistently denied the fact that this is Jill McIlwain?s system. Barbay even sites, pro style coaches as his biggest influences in his career. Not only that, but he states that everything begins with the running game. When you have a coach who believes that everything starts with the running game, do you have a coach that is going to try to force the running game. That means he is going to run the ball against stacked boxes just to try to establish that aspect of the offense. You have a guy with two years of experience as a flea collar who has consistently called more runs than pass plays. He has never been a throw the ball to open up the running game type of coach.

Mississippi State should never run a run first offense again.

vCash
    I'll second cooter and also vote c u n t. by a landslide

vCash
    Hmm. . I?m curious about something. How exactly do I not know what a pro style offense is when I am the only one who identified this offense as a pro style system?

The people who have questioned me on this have consistently denied the fact that this is a pro style system. They have consistently denied the fact that this is Jill McIlwain?s system. Barbay even sites, pro style coaches as his biggest influences in his career. Not only that, but he states that everything begins with the running game. When you have a coach who believes that everything starts with the running game, do you have a coach that is going to try to force the running game. That means he is going to run the ball against stacked boxes just to try to establish that aspect of the offense. You have a guy with two years of experience as a flea collar who has consistently called more runs than pass plays. He has never been a throw the ball to open up the running game type of coach.

Deflect deflect deflect

vCash
    We don't have the personnel to be run first IMO- for 2023. Marks couldn't even make it through fall camp without getting injured. Price is good. Pittman is an unknown JUCO guy that we're hoping is Vick Ballard 2.0.

We do have Will Rogers who is an accurate QB who takes care of the ball. Which is a good thing. We have several very talented WR's in Robinson, Roberson, Tulu, Walley, Zavion, and Harvey. And now we've added a four star TE in Goede. Then Mike Wright is a dual threat QB we could use in spots.

If we're running the ball 50% of the time with our current personnel we're not maximizing our talent for 2023. We'll see what Barbay does with it.

vCash

Greg Davis- former OC at Iowa.

Not sure that we had a lot of options at OC honestly. We whiffed on several- including some Air Raid guys. The reality is Arnett is an unknown as a head coach at this time. Hard to land anyone just like Dan had a hard time finding DC's for awhile when he was starting out.

I think Arnett wants us to be pro style ultimately though. If Barbay doesn't work out or gets hired away I imagine that Ryan Lindley at San Diego State will be on the short list. Hopefully he could be a hybrid pro style/Air Raid guy.

To your point the run sets up the pass thought is going away in the NFL because of analytics. It's only a matter of time before that trickles down to the college game. Not there yet as that data is still relatively new.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    How do you know Clayton and Ellis won?t be able to compete? Sure Goede is likely the starter but Clayton was a TE in HS. Harmon ought to have good hands and route running. We need more than one guy though. I would love to see real Jumbo packages for goal line situations. You never know what some of these kids may be able to do when given the chance.
    No way we see Ellis as a TE long term. An attached TE seems kind of like a waste to me. If we want a sixth offensive lineman then just let one of the offensive linemen be the attached TE. It's not like the guy would be expected to run a ton of pass routes whoever it is.

vCash

Most fans want a 50/50 split. That's actually progress from the days when our fans didn't believe we could consistently pass at all which was as recent as when Moorhead left. You can actually thank Mike Leach for changing that with our fan base- for the better.

I think we should be 60/40 pass/run myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desoto1967 View Post
    I think a lot of apprehension comes from JoMo coming and being supposedly an offensive genius. I just remember two runs and then a pass attempt when they were behind the chains
    That's a major part of it. That went back to the final years of Mullen too.

Our system did not attract QBs that could throw the football. Yes we had an exception. But he wasn't the norm. That issue was compounded by a lack of WRs of quality. JoMo came in and could not work any magic on QB to Wrs. The talent was an issue.

The breaded one completed 57% of his passes. Threw for 8 TDs and thres 5 INTs. And we were behind the chains all of the time. It's a legit concern that those rooms take a step backwards. That's not to say we will, just that its a concern.