Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coordinator and position coach interviews

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Bold? Guess it matters who considers it good vs meh. But the stats and games are facts. Lots more meh than good. New heights? We went backward this year w a veteran team and QB. No way around that. Yes we won 9 games. That's good. Had our offense had a pulse we would have won more.
    Not going to rehash this over and over and over. All teams fluctuate from season to season for various reasons. Winning 9 games is not a step back. That's a step forward. Having less passing yards or whatever can be from not having a viable deep threat with the relationship built between WR and QB. It could be, in the case of rushing, that a different OG was not as efficient as the OG before him so we averaged .5 or more yards less. that does not equal stepping backwards when the results meant more wins.

You are not going to change peoples mind on that and it really serves no purpose to demand that they change their opinion to match others.

That's my last comment on it.

We enter a new era at Ms St with Arnett. So let's go and get it done.

vCash
    Leach?s offense was following a similar trajectory as his Washington State offense, which was a top 20 scoring offense in 3 of his last four seasons there.

I have zero doubts that maintaining his system would have lead to more success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Not going to rehash this over and over and over. All teams fluctuate from season to season for various reasons. Winning 9 games is not a step back. That's a step forward. Having less passing yards or whatever can be from not having a viable deep threat with the relationship built between WR and QB. It could be, in the case of rushing, that a different OG was not as efficient as the OG before him so we averaged .5 or more yards less. that does not equal stepping backwards when the results meant more wins.

You are not going to change peoples mind on that and it really serves no purpose to demand that they change their opinion to match others.

This...tbqh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Leach?s offense was following a similar trajectory as his Washington State offense, which was a top 20 scoring offense in 3 of his last four seasons there.

The trajectory went down from last year, not up. That's not the correct trajectory you want to see with that much experience returning in the same system. You have no logical analysis that can show that as a truthful statement.

vCash
    rep given to Really Clark? for pointing out BS

vCash

That system died when Leach died. It?s not any more complicated than that.

Today, in the present, I feel we will use our players strengths on offense:

1. Accurate passer
    2. No real dynamic down the field threat
    3. Average pass catchers at wr.

I have not been impressed with our receivers at all in years, ever honestly. We?ve had a handful of good ones. No real legit ones.

Until I see us move away from that, I?m going to withhold judgement.

These younger coaches are often more willing to adjust to personnel with schemes, etc.

Your bashing of ?pro style offenses? whatever the **** that means, is ridiculous. Pro style is more passing oriented than the offenses 20 years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Greg Davis- former OC at Iowa.

Not sure that we had a lot of options at OC honestly. We whiffed on several- including some Air Raid guys. The reality is Arnett is an unknown as a head coach at this time. Hard to land anyone just like Dan had a hard time finding DC's for awhile when he was starting out.

I think Arnett wants us to be pro style ultimately though. If Barbay doesn't work out or gets hired away I imagine that Ryan Lindley at San Diego State will be on the short list. Hopefully he could be a hybrid pro style/Air Raid guy.

To your point the run sets up the pass thought is going away in the NFL because of analytics. It's only a matter of time before that trickles down to the college game. Not there yet as that data is still relatively new.
    In my observation, in the last 20 years offenses have trickled up to the pro game from college. Numerous examples: wildcat, zone read run plays with qb, some option, jet sweeps, air raid passing concepts. The nfl was extremely inbred for a long time. There were a handful of exceptions, but not many.

Then nfl copied shit that malzahn, mullen /Meyer/richrod, Leach etc we?re doing. Not the other way around.

Defenses on the other hand seemed to pull concepts down from the pro game.

vCash

Great. Clearly our offense got better last year. I just didn't see it.... yes we won 9 games bc our offense was great. Not sure how I didn't see it myself. Is that a promise your out. I should get an award from the rest of the board if so!!!
    Last edited by Homedawg; 02-04-2023 at 10:29 AM.

vCash
    SIAP but I hadn't read Barbary's bio from Hailstate.com until today.

"According to Matrix Analytical, Barbay ranks No. 1 among active FBS offensive coordinators in career average pass game efficiency. He was one of just two Group of Five play callers in 2022 to produce an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19 percent with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense.

Among FBS offensive coordinators since 2009, Barbay ranks per Matrix Analytical:
    -Inside the Top 15 percent in Passing Touchdowns Per Attempt
    -Inside the Top 20 percent in Fewest Interceptions Per Attempt
    -Inside the Top 25 percent in both QB Rating and QB Efficiency
    -Inside the Top 30 percent in Yards Per Attempt"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    In my observation, in the last 20 years offenses have trickled up to the pro game from college. Numerous examples: wildcat, zone read run plays with qb, some option, jet sweeps, air raid passing concepts. The nfl was extremely inbred for a long time. There were a handful of exceptions, but not many.

Then nfl copied shit that malzahn, mullen /Meyer/richrod, Leach etc we?re doing. Not the other way around.

Defenses on the other hand seemed to pull concepts down from the pro game.
    You are correct but as far as analytics go I think that will trickle down to college. Especially as you see NFL guys coming into college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    SIAP but I hadn't read Barbary's bio from Hailstate.com until today.

"According to Matrix Analytical, Barbay ranks No. 1 among active FBS offensive coordinators in career average pass game efficiency. He was one of just two Group of Five play callers in 2022 to produce an Explosive Pass Rate Percentage above 19 percent with a top 35 scoring efficiency offense.

Among FBS offensive coordinators since 2009, Barbay ranks per Matrix Analytical:
    -Inside the Top 15 percent in Passing Touchdowns Per Attempt
    -Inside the Top 20 percent in Fewest Interceptions Per Attempt
    -Inside the Top 25 percent in both QB Rating and QB Efficiency
    -Inside the Top 30 percent in Yards Per Attempt"
    Which is why I hope he passes it more than 45% of the time.

vCash

9 wins in a season where we played Alabama, Georgia, and LSU- I'll always take it.

The issue is us scoring consistently against Bluebloods. That's never going to change no matter what scheme we run.

vCash
    Mississippi State played 7 Power 5 teams that made a bowl game

Here were the points they scored

@LSU 16
    Vs Arkansas 40
    @ Kentucky 17 , with a pick6 so 10 offensive points

@alabama 6

Vs Georgia 19 with a punt return touchdown

@ Ole miss 24

Vs Illinois 19 with a kickoff touchdown with 0 time left
    With a veteran team that was not good. We stat padded again very bad football teams this year. The offense was not good this year.

We played 7 power 5 bowl eligible teams and scored over 25 points only once against 7-6 Arkansas who had the worst defense in the SEC.

If you think the offense was the reason we won 9 games I do not know what to tell you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Mississippi State played 7 Power 5 teams that made a bowl game

Here were the points they scored

@LSU 16
    Vs Arkansas 40
    @ Kentucky 17 , with a pick6 so 10 offensive points

@alabama 6

Vs Georgia 19 with a punt return touchdown

@ Ole miss 24

Vs Illinois 19 with a kickoff touchdown with 0 time left
    With a veteran team that was not good. We stat padded again very bad football teams this year. The offense was not good this year.

We played 7 power 5 bowl eligible teams and scored over 25 points only once against 7-6 Arkansas who had the worst defense in the SEC.

If you think the offense was the reason we won 9 games I do not know what to tell you.
    Georgia, LSU, and Alabama had some of the best defenses in the country this year. Two of those three were on the road. The other we had at home beat everyone on their schedule.

Simply put AGAIN- we are not going to consistently score a ton of points on bluebloods and elite defenses. I don't care what scheme we run or who our coach is. And that's not going to change with Barbay either. Our fans think that some coaching genius can make some fancy play calls and all of a sudden our three star guys are going to be 4-5 star guys because they're coached up- and it doesn't work that way.

All of this "well we stat padded against bad teams" stuff is bullshit. Most years our fans aren't even able to come up with that accusation so that says something in and of itself right there.

The best thing we can hope for is that we are competitive enough to have a chance to pull off an upset over a blueblood that isn't down. And that will be the case until we get four stars on our team.

In the meantime no one talks about Arnett's defense giving up 30+ PPG to those bluebloods or the 99 yard drive they allowed to set up Ole Miss's failed 2 point conversion or the fact that his defense allowed like four TD's in a row to Kentucky after our offense took the lead. But yeah- all defense this year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Georgia, LSU, and Alabama had some of the best defenses in the country this year. Two of those three were on the road. The other we had at home beat everyone on their schedule.

Simply put AGAIN- we are not going to consistently score a ton of points on bluebloods and elite defenses. I don't care what scheme we run or who our coach is. And that's not going to change with Barbay either. Our fans think that some coaching genius can make some fancy play calls and all of a sudden our three star guys are going to be 4-5 star guys because they're coached up- and it doesn't work that way.

All of this "well we stat padded against bad teams" stuff is bullshit. Most years our fans aren't even able to come up with that accusation so that says something in and of itself right there.

The best thing we can hope for is that we are competitive enough to have a chance to pull off an upset over a blueblood that isn't down. And that will be the case until we get four stars on our team.

In the meantime no one talks about Arnett's defense giving up 30+ PPG to those bluebloods or the 99 yard drive they allowed to set up Ole Miss's failed 2 point conversion or the fact that his defense allowed like four TD's in a row to Kentucky after our offense took the lead. But yeah- all defense this year!
    What about the fact that this defense gave up 192 yards on five plays against Kentucky? Four of those were pass plays on third down that netted 145 total yards.

vCash
    What about the fact that this defense gave up 192 yards on five plays against Kentucky? Four of those were pass plays on third down that netted 145 total yards.
    Thats after they were on the field all game and were totally gassed by the middle of the third. I thought Wheat was going to pass out that game. He gave his all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Thats after they were on the field all game and were totally gassed by the middle of the third. I thought Wheat was going to pass out that game. He gave his all.
    Most of those plays were in the first half of that game.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Most of those plays were in the first half of that game.
    Incorrect. 2 were in 4th quarter, 2 in the 3rd quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That correlates with my memory also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    It's irrelevant anyway. It's 1 game. He's cherry picking 1 game out of 7. That was our worst game of the year. Offense and defense looked bad for large portions of that game, especially once the defense got gassed. But, even if the defense had played poorly the entire game (they didn't) and they were the unit that cost us the game (they weren't), it still isn't a good response to refute the point being made by Pike. It's a response by an overly emotional fan with a low football IQ and an axe to grind.