Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Coordinator and position coach interviews

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    A guy with 1 year OC experience and who was an assistant high school coach 2 years ago to come into this league as an OC? No way can you make that decision. He may end up being good, time will tell but extremely too risky of a chance to bring him in.
    I think they are both risky. I have not looked at a ton of games he has called. I did watch the LSU and Mizzou game in 2021 when he was at CM to see what he would dod against better talent. I went through the plays after watching it too. There were 39 passing attempts to 31 rushing at LSU. Some series, were runs with 3 and out. Some were all passes. But they did try to establish the run and got down by 21 within the 1st quarter which led to more passes.

It was different vs Mizzou. They threw 4 times to 1 rush on the opening drive and continued that until they were up.

To me the game plan vs LSU was horrible. Against Mizzou was way better. A CMU is not going to rush it well against LSU and that was what they tried to do. Against Mizzou, they opened up the run game by making them respect the passing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    Literally makes no sense...Clemson and Bama weren't and currently aren't falling over themselves for Barbay either...
    They also were not AR either. Clemson made the change. Not sure what Bama will do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    KB it does not matter. We hired Kevin Barbay. Whether you think it is a good hire or not, we made it. And since none of us are making the decisions, SHUT THE F*** UP ABOUT IT. You can be mad, that is completely ok and you are well within your right, but if you are going to continually complain and try to act like the smartest person in the room I am sure RebelGrove or whatever David Johnson is calling his site will happily accept a new member.
    Oh come on now. People on the opposite side of that coin while Leach was here did the exact same thing and I don't recall posters calling them out like this. The guy has an opinion. Let him have it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    Literally makes no sense...Clemson and Bama weren't and currently aren't falling over themselves for Barbay either...
    Hollingshead is supposedly this guru in waiting per KB and he can't even get a MAC or Sunbelt interview for OC. Whereas Barbay is a proven OC and play caller.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We don't have the personnel to be run first IMO- for 2023. Marks couldn't even make it through fall camp without getting injured. Price is good. Pittman is an unknown JUCO guy that we're hoping is Vick Ballard 2.0.

We do have Will Rogers who is an accurate QB who takes care of the ball. Which is a good thing. We have several very talented WR's in Robinson, Roberson, Tulu, Walley, Zavion, and Harvey. And now we've added a four star TE in Goede. Then Mike Wright is a dual threat QB we could use in spots.

If we're running the ball 50% of the time with our current personnel we're not maximizing our talent for 2023. We'll see what Barbay does with it.
    With Arnett and Barbay both emphasizing how personnel dictates play calls and "scheme," I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're on the same page with you. Barbay's two years of OC experience in the FBS gives us a pretty small sample size. But it's worth noting that in his lone year at Central Michigan, they shifted from a 60/40 run-pass split in '20 to a 54/46 run-pass split in '21. And in '22, the pass side of App. St.'s run-pass split very slightly increased from '21 -- from 58/42 to 57/43 -- even though they lost four of their top five receivers from '21 (including three seniors with over 800 yards apiece) and returned two RBs who each rushed for over 900 yards in '21. (I also note that even with those two dudes back, the carries got spread out among way more dudes in '22. Wonder why?)

That still leaves a question about the ideal that Barbay is going to strive for in recruiting going forward. Get the best guys you can across the board and then tailor the offense around them every year? That seems odd. But then again, maybe not totally. Compare our "style" under Mullen in '09 and '10 to '12 and '15 to '17. And then maybe add in Florida in '19 and '20. Those offenses all looked pretty different.

So maybe at least for '23, maybe we're going to see something closer to 60% passes, like Mullen ca. '15, when our run-pass split in SEC games was 43/57 and we threw it 43 times a game. For what it's worth, that 60% mark is also roughly what other pass-heavy offenses were doing last year, like WKU and Georgia Southern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Hollingshead is supposedly this guru in waiting per KB and he can't even get a MAC or Sunbelt interview for OC. Whereas Barbay is a proven OC and play caller.
    Hollingshead is the offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky, whose last two offensive coordinators have springboarded into power 5 jobs. Kittley, Arbuckle, and Hollingshead.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    What other teams were interviewing Barbay? I'm not sure he interviewed anywhere else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Hollingshead is the offensive coordinator at Western Kentucky, whose last two offensive coordinators have springboarded into power 5 jobs. Kittley, Arbuckle, and Hollingshead.
    It's called training wheels asshole. Barbay has more experience and the philosophical outlook Arnett wants. This is not quantum mechanics. Barbay was the correct hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Maybe....but it's irrelevant to the point you made...

vCash
    I'm trying to figure out how a high school coach from Texas says that Greg Davis influenced his offensive philosophy but makes no mention of any Mike Leach influence.

vCash
    It is time for this garbage to end the board is borderline intolerable. I muted this assclown yet every thread is full of dumdassery and constant inane back and fourth BS over BS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    Oh come on now. People on the opposite side of that coin while Leach was here did the exact same thing and I don't recall posters calling them out like this. The guy has an opinion. Let him have it.
    His opinion is in every thread. Basketball, baseball, golf, the ice storm, whether Lil Dooeys is overrated. It does not matter. He interjects his Mike Leach rhetoric. It is the same talking points every damn time. I was fine with it at the beginning, but it has taken over the board. We all just want him to go back to GP and bother everyone over there again.

vCash
    where the dude who calls people a child for disagreeing with this KB21 ole miss/closet guy?

vCash
    Yup

vCash
    FWIW, I really like the off the field staff that has been put together. Bringing back Steve Campbell is big, and I think Joey Jones is a good addition as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    FWIW, I really like the off the field staff that has been put together. Bringing back Steve Campbell is big, and I think Joey Jones is a good addition as well.
    Steve and Joey will both open up the Mobile market for us. Really good athletes in that area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Steve and Joey will both open up the Mobile market for us. Really good athletes in that area.
    I'm sure Steve still has a lot of connections in the Gulf Coast area as well as in Louisiana. I'm sitting here waiting to see when Melvin Smith gets added to the staff.

vCash
    It's not the opinion that's the problem. He certainly can have his. That's fine. But no matter how we do he's not gonna be happy with it. It's not the air raid. He's married to the AR not the results. That's clear bc the AR results were mostly meh or worse. With about 3-4 exceptions...... then to go on and on and repeat posts over and over w a ton of untruths. Anyone can hate the hire or like it. But at least give the dude a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    It's not the opinion that's the problem. He certainly can have his. That's fine. But no matter how we do he's not gonna be happy with it. It's not the air raid. He's married to the AR not the results. That's clear bc the AR results were mostly meh or worse. With about 3-4 exceptions...... then to go on and on and repeat posts over and over w a ton of untruths. Anyone can hate the hire or like it. But at least give the dude a chance.
    The bold is opinion too. A lot of people felt that MSU was reaching new heights due to the 9 win season and the changes being made.

Yes, he is hired. For better or worse, we are married to it/him for 3 years. He will deserve his chance to make his case unless the wheels come off.

vCash
    The bold is opinion too. A lot of people felt that MSU was reaching new heights due to the 9 win season and the changes being made.

Yes, he is hired. For better or worse, we are married to it/him for 3 years. He will deserve his chance to make his case unless the wheels come off.
    Bold? Guess it matters who considers it good vs meh. But the stats and games are facts. Lots more meh than good. New heights? We went backward this year w a veteran team and QB. No way around that. Yes we won 9 games. That's good. Had our offense had a pulse we would have won more.