Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biggest Recruiting What If's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Don't forget Monte Ellis and Jonathan Bender.
    Bender would've been the big one and he would've gone to MSU if he didn't go pro, can't blame him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Why did we not offer Jerry Rice? Hugh Greene and Rooster Jones were also "stolen" by Jackie while he was at Pitt.
    Hugh Green was my first thought too. If it hadn't been for Sherrill, we would have had Green, Jonnie Cooks, Glenn Collins, Billy Jackson, Tyrone Keys, and Lynn Thomas on the same defense. I still drool at the thought of that.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Bender would've been the big one and he would've gone to MSU if he didn't go pro, can't blame him.
    Bender would have been a big one because he was early in Stansbury's career, but Monte would have been a much better get. Bender was hurt by injuries, but he played 59 games his second year and averaged 3.3 pts per game. He topped out at 7.4 points per game. He would have been good in college, but not a big time scorer night in and night out. MOnte would have been. He scored over 16 a game in the pros his second year. He scored 6.8 a game his rookie year while only playing 18 minutes a game. So basically 13.6 per 36 minutes against NBA players as a rookie. Presumably he'd have done better than 13.6 per game against college players.

vCash
    Uncle Rico. Used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

vCash
    During JWS's tenure there as a QB from Tupelo who started for ND, can't remember his name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    During JWS's tenure there as a QB from Tupelo who started for ND, can't remember his name.
    Jarious Jackson. Tupelo to Notre Dame to Denver Broncos

vCash
    This is an odd one I'll admit.

But I've always wondered how Tobias Singleton and Nick Brassel would have turned out had they gone to MSU. Would have also meant CJ Johnson would have ended up at MSU as well.

I think a big reason why Singleton and Brassel failed was because of the environment they were in at Ole Miss. They would have thrived with Dan and Dak Prescott throwing them the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

But I've always wondered how Tobias Singleton and Nick Brassel would have turned out had they gone to MSU. Would have also meant CJ Johnson would have ended up at MSU as well.

I think a big reason why Singleton and Brassel failed was because of the environment they were in at Ole Miss. They would have thrived with Dan and Dak Prescott throwing them the ball.
    Brassel certainly had the skills to be in the NFL and maybe being away from Batesville would have been enough to let him get out of his own way.

I think Singleton was just overrated. I just don't remember him ever doing anything in college that indicated he really had next level athleticism. Certainly wasn't paying attention to him, so I may have just missed it, but you couldn't miss the talent Brassel had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Jarious Jackson. Tupelo to Notre Dame to Denver Broncos
    I remember a TV commentator saying if Jarious had signed with State, we'd contended for the Natty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    There were academic requirements to get into MSU back then. I have always heard that he didn't meet them and that's why we didn't recruit him. If you never had any contact with Moor High it's hard to understand just how bad it was.
    Yep, back then it was called Prop 48. I think it required a minimum score of 18 on the ACT, etc. if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if this was applicable to Rice but LP is correct in that there were certain requirements then.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    From a basketball standpoint Travis Outlaw skipping for the NBA was a huge loss.

He probably would have started at the 3 guard in Shane Power's spot on the 03-04 basketball team that won the SEC.

We would have been a legit NC contender with that lineup.

Timmy Bowers
    Winsome Frazier
    Travis Outlaw
    Brandon Vincent
    Lawrence Roberts
    On basketball what about Monta Ellis and Jonathan Bender? MSU basketball might look different today with the players mentioned.

vCash
    A top notch QB away in 99 for competing for a NC.

vCash
    What if Mens Basketball had signed:

92- Othella Harrington with Dampier, Darrel Wilson, and company. Natty in 1996
    98- Chris Jackson instead of messing around in LSU, play for his home state, Richard Williams rejuvenated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    I remember a TV commentator saying if Jarious had signed with State, we'd contended for the Natty.
    Upgrade at QB for MSU you might still lose to Alabama but not Arkansas in 1999.

So MSU plays in Atlanta vs Florida, wins that game to be 12-1

Win the SEC most likely.

If Jackson beats Bama, then you play Free Shoes University for the NC.At 12-1, Michael Vick and VT play FSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    What if Mens Basketball had signed:

92- Othella Harrington with Dampier, Darrel Wilson, and company. Natty in 1996
    98- Chris Jackson instead of messing around in LSU, play for his home state, Richard Williams rejuvenated
    Chris would've been in the NBA in 98/ You must mean 88 and he did make the right move then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Brassel would have failed wherever he went. He did not want to participate in the student part of student athlete. It would have been no different in Starkville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, or Gainesville. The kid never had any interest in going to class. Ole Miss had staffers who their sole job was pick up Brassel from his dorm and take him from class to class. They would walk him in class and he would wait 5 minutes and walk out.

As someone else stated, Singleton was overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Chris would've been in the NBA in 98/ You must mean 88 and he did make the right move then.