Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Recruiting What If's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Why did we not offer Jerry Rice? Hugh Greene and Rooster Jones were also "stolen" by Jackie while he was at Pitt.
    I have always heard that Rice could not get in to MSU. Moor High was not an academic powerhouse. The correct answer to the OP is Cam Newton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    In honor of signing day who are your biggest recruiting what if's in State history?

1. Keyshawn Johnson- The chance to have Keyshawn and Moulds in the same offense would've been electric.

2. Lamar Jackson- He was leaning State at one point in the process.There's more to the story of how that went wrong, but I won't publicly air that on a message board. We could've gone Dak to Lamar and that brings me to number 3.

3. Jalen Hurts- Dan just couldn't keep him hidden from Saban. I think we would've gotten AJ had Hurts signed. Dak->Lamar->Hurts.

4. Raekwon Davis- Boy those 45 minutes he was committed were fun. Raekwon, Montez, and Jeff on the defensive front is fun to think about.

Who else y'all got?
    Cam Newton and it's not even close.......Just think what that 2010 could've been like........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Travis Outlaw and Al Jefferson.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Here's one some people may have forgotten....Paul Broussard.......He was a 5 star DL out of Blinn JC, I believe........He was shot in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant somewhere in Louisiana......Best I can remember he was in his Dad's 18 wheeler and his Dad went inside the restaurant.......Paul stayed in the truck and someone tried to break in or steal something.......Broussard confronted the person and was shot 3 times and died on the scene.........This was near the end of the JWS era........2001-2002 if I'm not mistaken.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Obviously cam Newton should be #1 imo
    You can get pretty specific in the what if scenarios for Cam.

What if Bell had been home when Cecil called and answered the phone so that Cecil didn't leave a voice message? Would state people have been as freaked out if they didn't know Cecil was dumb enough to go around leaving incriminating voice mails?

What if we had just paid. Would the SEC have protected us the way they protected Auburn?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Steve McNair.

Jackie didn't want him as a QB.
    Not quite on that level, but there was a QB from Hinds that was in the heisman running for Iowa that we wanted as a DB.

ETA: Brad Banks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Here's one some people may have forgotten....Paul Broussard.......He was a 5 star DL out of Blinn JC, I believe........He was shot in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant somewhere in Louisiana......Best I can remember he was in his Dad's 18 wheeler and his Dad went inside the restaurant.......Paul stayed in the truck and someone tried to break in or steal something.......Broussard confronted the person and was shot 3 times and died on the scene.........This was near the end of the JWS era........2001-2002 if I'm not mistaken.......
    It was at a Popeye's in BAton Rouge. He was going to be a force on the DL, it was beginning of Jackie's demise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    In honor of signing day who are your biggest recruiting what if's in State history?

1. Keyshawn Johnson- The chance to have Keyshawn and Moulds in the same offense would've been electric.

2. Lamar Jackson- He was leaning State at one point in the process.There's more to the story of how that went wrong, but I won't publicly air that on a message board. We could've gone Dak to Lamar and that brings me to number 3.

3. Jalen Hurts- Dan just couldn't keep him hidden from Saban. I think we would've gotten AJ had Hurts signed. Dak->Lamar->Hurts.

4. Raekwon Davis- Boy those 45 minutes he was committed were fun. Raekwon, Montez, and Jeff on the defensive front is fun to think about.

Who else y'all got?
    It was a happy day, then StarkVegasSteve posted this. You forgot about Kirk Presley, but that is far in the past. Signed and then the Mets offered him a deal he could not reject.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Cam Newton and it's not even close.......Just think what that 2010 could've been like........
    Just asking the question - Cam Newton almost could not play the SEC Championship game as the scandal unraveled.

Would MSU have been treated differently than Auburn?

Is my low Bulldog self esteem talking too loudly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Just asking the question - Cam Newton almost could not play the SEC Championship game as the scandal unraveled.

Would MSU have been treated differently than Auburn?

Is my low Bulldog self esteem talking too loudly?
    Yep. Auburn would've turned us in and the NCAA would've crucified us. But hell, I'd take a tainted Natty...
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    I'll never think just adding Cam to our team turns around the beat downs we suffered at LSU and at Bama in 2010, but it is nice to wonder about I guess.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I have always heard that Rice could not get in to MSU. Moor High was not an academic powerhouse. The correct answer to the OP is Cam Newton.
    That's not true. We didn't recruit him. Period. Back then there were little to no requirements academically, and I'm sure he could have met them whatever they were

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    It was a happy day, then StarkVegasSteve posted this. You forgot about Kirk Presley, but that is far in the past. Signed and then the Mets offered him a deal he could not reject.
    And he got hurt so ...

vCash
    Antonio McDyess. From Meridian and was coming to State ? but Bob Boyd thought Hubert Henderson was better. Every time Bama beat us? and it was a lot? McDyess always came up to Boyd and said Coach I was coming and u pulled my offer. He was a STUD for all you younger Bullpups.

vCash
    Are you thinking of Derrick McKey? A McDyess was in the same class as E Dampier in the mid90s. We wanted badly to get McDyess. Imagine him on the Sweet Sixteen and Final Four team.

vCash
    Richard Sherman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    That's not true. We didn't recruit him. Period. Back then there were little to no requirements academically, and I'm sure he could have met them whatever they were
    I reffed a lot of Moor games. Jerry was small and not a SEC talent in high school. He was a late bloomer and grew and became faster. Playing at Valley with that offense really helped Him.

vCash
    Here?s a semi unknown one. Marcus Mann. He was on scholarship to come to State but backed out. Heard rumors why, but won?t share. He went to ECCC and then Valley. Got Valley into the tourney. Drafted in 2nd round of NBA draft. He would have been on our men?s basketball final four team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    There were academic requirements to get into MSU back then. I have always heard that he didn't meet them and that's why we didn't recruit him. If you never had any contact with Moor High it's hard to understand just how bad it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Steve McNair.

Jackie didn't want him as a QB.
    Actually Jackie did recruit him to start off at QB and if it didn't work move him to safety. But the family didn't believe he would leave him at QB. And to be fair, Jackie had done that previously at TAM, signed a guy as a QB and moved him to DB within a week or so of getting on campus. So Steve was understandable concerned that we would do the same. Miami and LSU exclusively recruited Steve at safety.