Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice storm coming

vCash

Ice storm coming

What's it looking like?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    What's it looking like?
    I'm right outside Little Rock and they placed us in an ice storm warning early hours of the morning. Every time I check it seems the temps are dropping. I'm curious what the weather gurus are seeing too.

vCash
    Pretty sharp temperature difference across north Mississippi. In Memphis, it's in the 30s now and here (north central Alabama) we're at 53 and supposed to get to near 60 today. If the front happened to slip a little more to the east we could join in the fun but it doesn't seem to be in the cards.

vCash
    Right now this looks to be confined to extreme northwest parts of MS and points back west and north. It's going to be a series of storms over a span of a couple of days, and not just one storm. Who gets and who just gets rain is all going to depend on where that arctic front stalls out. As of right now that looks to be NW of a Greenville to Oxford line. But just a slight shift either direction could happen. The ice storm warning area in MS is forecast to see up to a 1/2" of ice which is enough to wreak havoc on roads and power lines. If you're in or near the warning area, you might want to prepare for possible power outages and being unable to get out. Better safe than sorry.

vCash
    Seems to be a lot of uncertainty even still. Woke up this morning to a temp of 37 and it's been dropping ever since. It's currently at 34 and it's supposed to be according to the forecasts in the upper 30's until this evening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Seems to be a lot of uncertainty even still. Woke up this morning to a temp of 37 and it's been dropping ever since. It's currently at 34 and it's supposed to be according to the forecasts in the upper 30's until this evening.
    Where are you? It's 57 at my house, low this morning was 50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Where are you? It's 57 at my house, low this morning was 50.
    Sherwood just to the north of Little Rock.

vCash
    I'm north of DFW and it is hitting us now through tomorrow. Currently raining and 27 degrees. That's never a good combo. Overpasses are bad already.

vCash
    Damn we are flying into Dallas early Wednesday morning and departing mid morning headed to Wy. I sure as hell don't need a delay or cancel flight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Damn we are flying into Dallas early Wednesday morning and departing mid morning headed to Wy. I sure as hell don't need a delay or cancel flight.
    I've got friends at the airport now and they can't even make it to New Orleans. I hope you are headed to Jackson hole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I'm north of DFW and it is hitting us now through tomorrow. Currently raining and 27 degrees. That's never a good combo. Overpasses are bad already.
    Navigating the High Five might be a thrill during rush hour this afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I've got friends at the airport now and they can't even make it to New Orleans. I hope you are headed to Jackson hole.
    Yep to Jackson Hole. Hope by Wednesday things will be ok.

vCash
    My brothers scheduled flight from Gulfport to Houston at 0700 was canceled this afternoon. Not because of Ice but Fog.

vCash
    Roads may get a bit slicker by late afternoon in the extreme NW parts of north MS. Temps will be critical through thursday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    My brothers scheduled flight from Gulfport to Houston at 0700 was canceled this afternoon. Not because of Ice but Fog.
    What is that a 6-7 hour drive? If I can drive it under 10 hours, that what I do. I paid mileage though, so that influences my decision

vCash
    In Memphis bridges and overpasses are icy. Idiot drivers are worse than usual. I40 is shut down west of West Memphis due to wrecks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    In Memphis bridges and overpasses are icy. Idiot drivers are worse than usual. I40 is shut down west of West Memphis due to wrecks.
    I drove up Airways and the overpasses at Winchester and Dunn were blocked. I had to divert through some neighborhoods to get to Midtown

vCash
    I am driving from new Albany to Memphis airport today . Weather reports when I search state ice doesn’t start until the afternoon . Seems like things Are already bad ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Yep to Jackson Hole. Hope by Wednesday things will be ok.
    I envy you. Our favorite place to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 911mom View Post
    I am driving from new Albany to Memphis airport today . Weather reports when I search state ice doesn?t start until the afternoon . Seems like things Are already bad ?
    Overpasses in Olive Branch are icy but passable. I'd recommend turning on Shelby Dr to go to the airport. 240 and 385 are backed up in places mostly due to wrecks.