Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: BB scrimmage notes from twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Mershon has struggled with the glove some
    He's worn the yellow jersey which they give to the best defender for the previous day or something.

I think he's pretty decent, he's just not as good as Forsythe with the glove. It's all about what you're willing to trade.

Do you want a better hitter with more pop and serviceable defense, or a singles hitter with near elite defense?

Have to consider that Mershon has never faced SEC pitching so he could very easily struggle at the plate like Lane will. In which case, Lane then has the upper hand

vCash
    Who is our closer?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Who is our closer?
    Aaron Nixon will probably be given the opportunity but he won't be the only one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    He's worn the yellow jersey which they give to the best defender for the previous day or something.

I think he's pretty decent, he's just not as good as Forsythe with the glove. It's all about what you're willing to trade.

Do you want a better hitter with more pop and serviceable defense, or a singles hitter with near elite defense?

Have to consider that Mershon has never faced SEC pitching so he could very easily struggle at the plate like Lane will. In which case, Lane then has the upper hand
    Mershon has been facing SEC pitching all spring and fall. So, I'm sure the coaches have a decent idea of what he's going to do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripp McNeely View Post
    So, I'm sure the coaches have a decent idea of what he's going to do
    Well yeah, no one has said any different

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Aaron Nixon will probably be given the opportunity but he won't be the only one.
    I really like Dohm. He's going to help. But agree, Nixon will get the first shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's not bad but at this level it's also kind of the issue. OBP matters but despite what baseball stat nerds say AVG also matters. Someone with an OBP like Hancock needs to hit over .300 to hit higher in the lineup.

Otherwise he has value hitting lower in the lineup. But he needs to do more damage in addition to continuing to get on base.
    A guy with a high OBP but without a ton of pop is actually great at the top of the lineup. It's not going to help us a ton if he's walking before Forsythe steps up. But if he walks in front of Hines, we're in business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    A guy with a high OBP but without a ton of pop is actually great at the top of the lineup. It's not going to help us a ton if he's walking before Forsythe steps up. But if he walks in front of Hines, we're in business.
    We may be saying the same thing but Hancock has some pop.

Thing is we have a guy who can hit for average, has power, can run, and get on base- his name is Colton Ledbetter.

vCash
    We may be saying the same thing but Hancock has some pop.

Thing is we have a guy who can hit for average, has power, can run, and get on base- his name is Colton Ledbetter.
    Hancock is going to start the year somewhere between 2-6. 6 would be low if I had to guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Hancock is going to start the year somewhere between 2-6. 6 would be low if I had to guess.
    I think he is perfect for the 6th spot in our lineup. After you get through Larry, Ledbetter, Hines, Jordan, Clark, and Alford in whatever order then all of a sudden here comes a guy that can grind out a ten pitch at bat.

Then Down may be in there somewhere as well.

vCash
    I think he is perfect for the 6th spot in our lineup. After you get through Larry, Ledbetter, Hines, Jordan, Clark, and Alford in whatever order then all of a sudden here comes a guy that can grind out a ten pitch at bat.

Then Down may be in there somewhere as well.
    What we expecting from Aaron Downs this year. He was an elite recruit with hitting as his best tool, seems this is his moment to shine and take-off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    What we expecting from Aaron Downs this year. He was an elite recruit with hitting as his best tool, seems this is his moment to shine and take-off.
    He was 0-4 Sunday with 3 strikeouts I believe....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    He was 0-4 Sunday with 3 strikeouts I believe....
    Thanks for the inside scoop.

Who did he bat against

vCash
    He has a small lead over Hujsak for DH right now.

vCash
    We need Downs and Alford to both make a jump this year. Now is the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He has a small lead over Hujsak for DH right now.
    So the OF is firmly...

Ledbetter, Dakota, Kellum

DH - Downs, Hujsack

Does Highfill factor as DH at this point in time?

vCash
    So the OF is firmly...

DH - Downs, Hujsack

No. He will be the midweek catcher at times. But not dh. He's super athletic. That's his strength. Elite speed for a catcher. That's his best tool

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    We need Downs and Alford to both make a jump this year. Now is the time.
    We do. I think Alford is a dude.

vCash
    So the OF is firmly...

DH - Downs, Hujsack

So, we look like:

C - Hancock (w/ Highfill probably getting a good bit of playing time midweek)
    1B - Hines
    2B - ?
    SS - Forsythe
    3B - Alford
    LF - Hudson
    CF Ledbetter,
    RF - Kellum

Who am I missing at 2b? Do we have a clear starter there? Are any of the positions listed actually in question on who will be starting at the beginning of the season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    So, we look like:

C - Hancock (w/ Highfill probably getting a good bit of playing time midweek)
    1B - Hines
    2B - ?
    SS - Forsythe
    3B - Alford
    LF - Hudson
    CF Ledbetter,
    RF - Kellum

Who am I missing at 2b? Do we have a clear starter there? Are any of the positions listed actually in question on who will be starting at the beginning of the season?
    Larry has 2B locked down and leadoff hitter. You mean Jordan in LF. Mershon is going to give Forsythe a run at SS. He's hitting really well so far.