Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BB scrimmage notes from twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Still too low in the order. Hancock has the best eye at the plate, and doesn?t swing at bad pitches.
    Double Play Machine

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Double Play Machine
    Hancock will have a big year for us.

vCash
    Double Play Machine
    3 last year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    3 last year
    But still.... try not to use facts when shooting down a bad take!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    But still.... try not to use facts when shooting down a bad take!!
    Opinions only welcome here

vCash
    Double Play Machine
    You are confusing him with Cumbest

vCash
    Offense will be fine. Wasn't the issue last year.

The issue is we don't have an ace and we're going to have to use our bullpen a lot. Nixon and Dohm are huge additions. Pico adding velocity is encouraging. Holcombe looks promising. We have some freshmen that could help too.

The issue is Foxhall isn't very creative with how he uses the staff and he lets guys go way too long. He's going to have to channel his inner Butch Thompson to make this work.

vCash
    I was there Friday. Dakota HR was the furthest ball I've seen hit there since Niko for ND. The analytics I was told was 450 ft and 113 exit velocity. It was 0-2 and pico tried to elevate a fastball. Cleared the stadium and landed at the base of the condos.

Dohm was very impressive. 96-98. Located well. Slider was 89.
    Ledbetter hit two rockets for doubles to left center. That's oppo for him.
    Hines hit a rocket HR to right.
    Kellum tripled off the wall in center.
    Highfill double off the wall in right. Oppo

Cade was sharp. KC was not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Offense will be fine. Wasn't the issue last year.

The issue is we don't have an ace and we're going to have to use our bullpen a lot. Nixon and Dohm are huge additions. Pico adding velocity is encouraging. Holcombe looks promising. We have some freshmen that could help too.

The issue is Foxhall isn't very creative with how he uses the staff and he lets guys go way too long. He's going to have to channel his inner Butch Thompson to make this work.
    You may be surprised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    You may be surprised.
    Hopefully I am. In a good way.

vCash
    You may be surprised.
    Yeah, I think too many people are putting too much on last years melt down as a sign for this year. We also added some really strong pieces - but our inferiority complex says "we aren't good because LSU got better transfers".

vCash
    A lot of experts in this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, I think too many people are putting too much on last years melt down as a sign for this year. We also added some really strong pieces - but our inferiority complex says "we aren't good because LSU got better transfers".
    We really need Loftin or Loo to be Paul Maholm 2.0 as freshmen where they come in and are top of the weekend rotation caliber as freshmen. We lack an ace. It is what it is. Skenes would have addressed that. We can still be good but we're going to have to be forward thinking to do it. I think we have the talent to do it. Nixon, Dohm, and Holcombe are all mid-upper 90's guys. Tyler Davis has looked good and Pico has increased his velocity. We need all of those guys and we need them to stay healthy. We're going to need them to be 2-3 inning guys right out of the gate. Stinnett needs to step up but he's a head case. I think we should just let him start midweek and leave him there unless he melts down- again. Which is possible. Need some of the freshmen to contribute right away no matter what.

Oh and Foxhall can't "save" guys only to not use them on the weekend. That was complete BS last year. Especially when he's throwing our SS out there.

vCash
    You may be surprised.
    Base, outside of Cade, how do you feel right now about this pitching staff? Love your info.

vCash
    The dead Arapahoes gave us what we had begged for 2 years ago and then bitch-slapped us right back in our place last year by not only letting our hated rivals win it, but win it while we finished dead last in the SEC.

After this 1-7 SEC Basketball start, I ain?t buying into any positive thoughts having to do with a ball that is completely round.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We really need Loftin or Loo to be Paul Maholm 2.0 as freshmen where they come in and are top of the weekend rotation caliber as freshmen. We lack an ace. It is what it is. Skenes would have addressed that. We can still be good but we're going to have to be forward thinking to do it. I think we have the talent to do it. Nixon, Dohm, and Holcombe are all mid-upper 90's guys. Tyler Davis has looked good and Pico has increased his velocity. We need all of those guys and we need them to stay healthy. We're going to need them to be 2-3 inning guys right out of the gate. Stinnett needs to step up but he's a head case. I think we should just let him start midweek and leave him there unless he melts down- again. Which is possible. Need some of the freshmen to contribute right away no matter what.

Oh and Foxhall can't "save" guys only to not use them on the weekend. That was complete BS last year. Especially when he's throwing our SS out there.
    Im not sure Skenes is an ace in the sec.

Gartman had a better 2022 on the mound than Skenes when you look at their numbers and opponents. Better whip (under 1.0), strikeouts the same, innings the same, era .77 higher, but Gartman faced much better competition.

Skenes didn't pitch against a team all regular season that made the ncaa tourney. Not one. He only pitched against one power 5 team all regular season and was shelled, didn't make it through the 4th inning, and had a era of 11.
    Then in the ncaa tourney he was shelled again, didn't make it past the 4th, and era was 9.00.
    He didn't pitch against anybody else any good last year. Below are all his appearances.

Iowa - shelled
    Navy - 19-26 record
    Nevada twice - 29-26 record
    Unlv three times - 36-22 record
    New Mexico twice - 21-33 record
    Fresno state twice - 27-28 record
    Cal Baptist - 36-20 record
    San Diego State - 18-38 record
    San Jose State - 30-29 record
    Texas - shelled

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Base, outside of Cade, how do you feel right now about this pitching staff? Love your info.
    As we all know injuries last year to our pitching staff killed us. I will add, I also think we didn’t handle the off season very well with all of the celebrations, both players and fans.
    Practice is one thing but games are the measuring stick. If our pitchers stay healthy, I think we have a good chance to be pretty good considering all the arms we have. I have my doubts about a couple of guys, but I think we have enough to be in another regional.

I think this team will be better prepared and way more focused. I think we have more in the lineup and we should be good on defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    A lot of experts in this thread.
    After last season, I got to see it for myself against decent opponents.

Good freshmen and transfers are going to put pressure on veterans. If a dude starts to struggle or shows no developmental growth after 3 or 4 years, you must move on.

Game-1 lineup or first weekend pitching may not last very long. I mean that as a good thing. Means strong competition. 17 SEC wins is my expectation range but there are cats on this team that I have zero faith in.

vCash
    As we all know injuries last year to our pitching staff killed us. I will add, I also think we didn?t handle the off season very well with all of the celebrations, both players and fans.
    Practice is one thing but games are the measuring stick. If our pitchers stay healthy, I think we have a good chance to be pretty good considering all the arms we have. I have my doubts about a couple of guys, but I think we have enough to be in another regional.

I think this team will be better prepared and way more focused. I think we have more in the lineup and we should be good on defense.
    Thanks for your insight - much appreciated. Ready for us to get started. Also hope the black bears had a bad offseason like we did last year.

vCash
    I think we're gonna mash at the plate, but I do worry if we have the horses on the mound. We don't have a legit ace, and we've still got some guys who haven't pieced it together yet.

But if Mershon ends up beating Lane out (I'll believe it when I see it) we wouldn't really have a weak spot in our lineup. I think we've got less HR or bust type guys too. We should be able to put the ball in play better than we did last year.