Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: BB scrimmage notes from twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Hancock will be in the line-up. Lemonis may have to find ways to get players enough swings if we swing like we can potentially, but I don't see Hancock not in the lineup barring a Josh Hatcher type of collapse. He stabilizes the lineup, doesn't strikeout, will do the things at the plate to move/score runners and gets on base a lot.
    If the person that led the team in OBP last year isn't a regular in the lineup this year, that would be a really good sign unless it was because of injury or as you said, a hatcher type collapse.

vCash
    Apparently Dakota Jordan just went oppo with a rocket over the fence. He may be a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Apparently Dakota Jordan just went oppo with a rocket over the fence. He may be a problem.
    Logan Tanner was impressed with him when he saw him some in spring. Gautreau said in his interview that he was expecting the physical talent but wasn’t expecting the approach that he showed up to campus with. I’m hoping for another Hunter Hines type freshman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Logan Tanner was impressed with him when he saw him some in spring. Gautreau said in his interview that he was expecting the physical talent but wasn?t expecting the approach that he showed up to campus with. I?m hoping for another Hunter Hines type freshman.
    By all accounts, he is ahead of Hines at the same point so I'm excited

vCash
    His first two at bats Friday he looked naked on breaking pitches. He can make the adjustment though. And will need to bc he won't see much straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    His first two at bats Friday he looked naked on breaking pitches. He can make the adjustment though. And will need to bc he won't see much straight.
    He'll be like Hines was last year. He'll get off to a blistering start and then teams will start peppering him with junk. He seems a little more patient at the plate than Hunter was at this point last year so we'll see if that continues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    He also rolls over on more weak ground balls to the 2B than anyone I have ever seen?
    Hancock won't have the luxury to slump this year. Highfill is 10x the athlete he is already and if the bat continues to progress he'll be pushing Luke to start on weekends. This Freshman class is one of the best we've had in regards to instant impact guys. Cjintje, Dakota, Highfill, Loftin, Mershon.

vCash
    How did the arms look Saturday and Sunday?

vCash
    I'm a forsythe guy, but Mershon ain't gonna just rude pine all year. He's legit.

vCash
    I'm a forsythe guy, but Mershon ain't gonna just rude pine all year. He's legit.
    In the same Gautreau interview, he said that Mershon would play for a long time, meaning they see him as a possible major leaguer.

Were we expecting Mershon to possibly be as good as he apparently is?

vCash
    Because we need someone that bats better than .215 and can get clutch when needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Because we need someone that bats better than .215 and can get clutch when needed.
    He hit .273 last year. Was pretty clutch in the CWS

vCash
    He hit .273 last year. Was pretty clutch in the CWS
    That's not bad but at this level it's also kind of the issue. OBP matters but despite what baseball stat nerds say AVG also matters. Someone with an OBP like Hancock needs to hit over .300 to hit higher in the lineup.

Otherwise he has value hitting lower in the lineup. But he needs to do more damage in addition to continuing to get on base.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    In the same Gautreau interview, he said that Mershon would play for a long time, meaning they see him as a possible major leaguer.

Were we expecting Mershon to possibly be as good as he apparently is?
    I don't think so. Not a SS hitting oppo dingers off good pitching in preseason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's not bad but at this level it's also kind of the issue. OBP matters but despite what baseball stat nerds say AVG also matters. Someone with an OBP like Hancock needs to hit over .300 to hit higher in the lineup.

Otherwise he has value hitting lower in the lineup. But he needs to do more damage in addition to continuing to get on base.
    The post I responded too was talking about Forsythe, I believe

vCash
    The post I responded too was talking about Forsythe, I believe
    Oh. Thought we were talking about Hancock.

vCash
    I don't think so. Not a SS hitting oppo dingers off good pitching in preseason
    He definitely had some draft interest. Because of his size he was never going to be a high pick so he was perfect for us as a recruit.

vCash
    Oh. Thought we were talking about Hancock.
    No problem!

vCash

As the Senior Catcher, he can contribute in many non-statistical ways. Settling down pitchers and being influential with Foxhall on proactive pitching changes. Stuff that would be a stretch for a less experienced player. If he can help lower the bullpen ERA from nearly 9 to a typical MSU ERA of 3 to 4, that's already a huge gain. With a non-Chernobyl bullpen, MSU is a lock for Regionals and more.

As a batter, I hope his 4 years in the program give him a new edge. Some think batting 300 is good, I think he could better than that.

Last year, he did lead in OBP, but with an OBP average that would not have lead any other MSU team in the last 10 years. Even in the dead bat seasons, the team had multiple players with +400 OBP. Plus the MSU OBP leader was usually a power guy that hit for average and forced opponents to walk him. The awesome exception to the Power hitters was Adam Frazier, who was near 500 in OBP with a 371 average and he could hit a double into a corner at any moment.

vCash
    Mershon has struggled with the glove some