Thread: Baseball Utility and Alternate Positions

vCash

Baseball Utility and Alternate Positions

Thinking about the field players:

(a) Luke Hancock - Catcher, First Base, and Classic Hitting DH
    (b) Hunter Hines - First Base and Power DH
    (c) Ross Highfill - Catcher and Corner Outfield (?)
    (d) Aaron Downs - 3B, 2B, and Corner Outfield (?)
    (e) Slate Alford - 3B, 2B, and Corner Outfield (?)
    (f) Connor Hujsack - SS (at VCU with .907 Fielding), Corner Outfield (Fall Ball position)
    (g) Kellum Clark - OF, 1B, and Power DH

1- Special Note on Amani Larry, 2B transfer from UNO, in games vs LSU, Oklahoma, and USM. 7 Games vs Regional and Super Regional opposition. Had 5 multi-Hit games and had a hit in each game.

2- According to Thunder and Lightning, Davis Mershon is a Ryan Gridley type player with a bright future. Basically, he is going to potentially miss an SEC game to attend a sibling's wedding and make T4S mad.

vCash
    Ummmm....I was never mad about Ryan Gridley going to a wedding at all. I just said he wouldn't be able to do that in pro baseball. And that he wouldn't make it. And he didn't. So what do I know?

MSU baseball has more of a I don't know how to put this- a "friendly environment" towards the players but whatever. It is what it is.

Mershon is the son of a coach. He's a better defender than Gridley and faster. Going to be a good player for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ummmm....I was never mad about Ryan Gridley going to a wedding at all. I just said he wouldn't be able to do that in pro baseball. And that he wouldn't make it. And he didn't. So what do I know?

MSU baseball has more of a I don't know how to put this- a "friendly environment" towards the players but whatever. It is what it is.

Mershon is the son of a coach. He's a better defender than Gridley and faster. Going to be a good player for us.
    Just messing with you. I recall the whole board had an opinion on the wedding. The Gridley wedding seems like first world problems compared to last years train-wreck.

vCash
    Todd, you truly are a baseball genius.

I don?t think anyone but you could?ve predicted that an undersized player wouldn?t make it to the big leagues in a sport where less than 10% of the players who get drafted ever make it.

vCash
    Funny enough, Gridley never even ended up missing a game due to the wedding. We ended up having to play two on a Friday (Thurs-Fri-Sat series) because of rain coming through the next day. The second game was still one of the craziest games I've ever been apart of. We got down big and a lot of people, including myself, left. It was such a late game that the bars closed and we were still playing so a few of us actually ended up going back to the stadium. Was walking back in when Dustin Skelton hit the high pop up that Bama's pitcher tripped over the mound trying to catch. We won in 13 innings. I think Brant Blaylock was the winning pitcher. Game lasted til like 2 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tibbons View Post
    Todd, you truly are a baseball genius.

I don?t think anyone but you could?ve predicted that an undersized player wouldn?t make it to the big leagues in a sport where less than 10% of the players who get drafted ever make it.
    Andrew Benintendi (Sp?) seems to make it as a small guy. Dustin Pedroia also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Funny enough, Gridley never even ended up missing a game due to the wedding. We ended up having to play two on a Friday (Thurs-Fri-Sat series) because of rain coming through the next day. The second game was still one of the craziest games I've ever been apart of. We got down big and a lot of people, including myself, left. It was such a late game that the bars closed and we were still playing so a few of us actually ended up going back to the stadium. Was walking back in when Dustin Skelton hit the high pop up that Bama's pitcher tripped over the mound trying to catch. We won in 13 innings. I think Brant Blaylock was the winning pitcher. Game lasted til like 2 AM.
    That whole season was that way. Lasted a long time, we always expected the worst, surviving in Hattiesburg One-Inning-at-a-Time, and things ended up working out to make a Super Regional.

I did not recall it was Skelton that hit the pop up. Below the link to Box Score. Scoring 3 in the 10th after giving up 3 in the top of the inning.

I remember thinking that Bama scouts probably had no clue about Blaylock being an outfielder pitching. They would have never swung a bat.

https://static.hailstate.com/customp...17/ms0421b.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    That whole season was that way. Lasted a long time, we always expected the worst, surviving in Hattiesburg One-Inning-at-a-Time, and things ended up working out to make a Super Regional.

I did not recall it was Skelton that hit the pop up. Below the link to Box Score. Scoring 3 in the 10th after giving up 3 in the top of the inning.

I remember thinking that Bama scouts probably had no clue about Blaylock being an outfielder pitching. They would have never swung a bat.

https://static.hailstate.com/customp...17/ms0421b.htm
    That entire season was nuts, but that is the type of toughness we lacked last year. That team never thought they were out of the fight and that belief came because Cann instilled it in them. Say what you want about the guy, but when his head was on straight he was a top 5 coach and a top 1 or 2 recruiter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That entire season was nuts, but that is the type of toughness we lacked last year. That team never thought they were out of the fight and that belief came because Cann instilled it in them. Say what you want about the guy, but when his head was on straight he was a top 5 coach and a top 1 or 2 recruiter.
    Agree about Cann