Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: MBK upcoming schedule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Just keeping it real .. Thats 5 douche bag..
    These posts are becoming the highlight of my week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    These posts are becoming the highlight of my week
    Let's hope it is the highlight of the month

vCash
    I think a lot of us are underestimating the weight of our non conference wins. 8-10 in the conference we still are going to be close to a lock. Our resume will destroy a lot of the other bubble teams

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I think a lot of us are underestimating the weight of our non conference wins. 8-10 in the conference we still are going to be close to a lock. Our resume will destroy a lot of the other bubble teams
    And the SEC schedule was so front loaded.

vCash
    I love these posts!

vCash
    Please, lord, help me get one more........................

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    And the SEC schedule was so front loaded.
    And now Tenn is fading while Vandy is Rising.

vCash
    #40 in net

vCash
    #40 in net
    Next Lunardi Bracketology we will be on there somewhere, either in the First Four In, First Four Out, or next 4 out. But we will be there.

A significant number of bubble teams lost yesterday. And with a 40 NET, that's going to put us in a great spot.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 02-12-2023 at 07:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    If we don?t have the SWAC schools on this schedule our NET is in the low 30s/hi 20s

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    If we don?t have the SWAC schools on this schedule our NET is in the low 30s/hi 20s
    Can you show your work on that?

I'm not doubting you per se, but I've never been able to crack the NET formula in Excel like I did with the RPI, so it's always a surprise to see what the new rankings are.
    Last edited by Quaoarsking; 02-12-2023 at 10:52 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

I'm not doubting you per se, but I've never been able to crack the NET formula in Excel like I did with the RPI, so it's always a surprise to see what the new rankings are.
    I'm sure he's guessing, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption. 1 swac school is too many... 3 is absurd

vCash
    I'm sure he's guessing, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption. 1 swac school is too many... 3 is absurd
    I'm not so sure. I haven't found the exact formula, but it is apparently a blend of 5 things:
    1. Team Value Index - "Algorithm set up to reward teams who beat other good teams. Results-oriented component of the NET."
    2. Net Effiency - points per possession on offense and defense
    3. Winning Percentage - just straight up W/L
    4. Adjusted Win Percentage - W/L, but adjusted for home/away
    5. Scoring Margin - capped at 10 points in each game, and any OT game is set to 1 no matter what

So our wins against the SWAC teams by 33, 30, and 10 will maximize the 3rd, 4th, and 5th components, and probably the 2nd too. They'll probably do poorly on the 1st, but we just don't know how much that will sway things.

On the RPI, scoring margin and efficiency didn't matter at all. It was all W/L and a huge SOS component, so beating a SWAC team was actually bad. But from the best I can gather from the information I have, playing a bad team isn't going to hurt as much in the NET if you can win by 10 or more points.

All 3 of our SWAC opponents have NETs in the 300s, so it would probably have been better to blow out teams in the 200s instead, but I don't think they're "NET killers" in the same way that they're "RPI killers." ... Or maybe I'm wrong. Honestly, I think it's pretty shady for the NCAA to publish these rankings without making the formula available for anyone in the public to check and audit. I'm sure there's been a mistake in them at some point, just like the BCS had in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

I have not cracked it either, however compare our resume to Arkansas.

Arkansas:
    17-8
    NET 23
    6-7 in Q1 and Q2
    1 Q3 loss
    SOS7
    Nonconference SOS 10

MSU
    17-8
    NET 40
    5-8 in Q1 and Q2
    0 Q3 and Q4 losses
    SOS 48
    Nonconference SOS 205

The glaring differences of our resumes are that we beat them out right at their place and nonconference strength of schedule.

vCash
    Ari enjoying this thread like a baseball weekend conference three-game sweep!! LOL!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Next Lunardi Bracketology we will be on there somewhere, either in the First Four In, First Four Out, or next 4 out. But we will be there.

A significant number of bubble teams lost yesterday. And with a 40 NET, that's going to put us in a great spot.
    I expect Houston, Purdue, Alabama, and one more. I don’t expect it to be us.

vCash
    http://bracketmatrix.com/

Of the 27 brackets who have updated since our win over Arkansas, we are IN in 18 of them, with an average seed of 10.7 (which would be above the play-in line).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawdawg View Post
    I have not cracked it either, however compare our resume to Arkansas.

Arkansas:
    17-8
    NET 23
    6-7 in Q1 and Q2
    1 Q3 loss
    SOS7
    Nonconference SOS 10

MSU
    17-8
    NET 40
    5-8 in Q1 and Q2
    0 Q3 and Q4 losses
    SOS 48
    Nonconference SOS 205

The glaring differences of our resumes are that we beat them out right at their place and nonconference strength of schedule.
    I'm not sure how to find nonconference SOS but I was looking at TCU's resume and they played 3 SWAC schools and have a Q4 loss and their NET is 24 even after losing 3 in a row. They do have 5 Q1 wins, are 3-0 in Q2 and they have a good overall SOS because they play in the Big 12 but their nonconference schedule looks similar to ours. I'd love to see what our NET would be if we had just won one of the AL or TN games. I think not closing out one of the ones we were close in is bigger than the FL or UGA losses.

vCash
    Well let?s start a new streak sat...

vCash
    Well let?s start a new streak sat...
    We better. This will be OM's Superbowl in a very bad basketball season for them. A loss would probably change the initials of our post season hopes to NIT, like the Howland teams. Win the rest and take care of our own destiny! Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 02-16-2023 at 05:48 PM.