Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thought on the portal and nil

vCash

My thought on the portal and nil

I'm to the point now I'll cheer for whoever has our jersey on come Saturdays this fall. If you don't want to wear this jersey then just **** smooth the hell off. Not going to miss you. Not going to beg you to come back. You come out of that tunnel and run by the band you have my full support whatever your name is.

vCash
    One word for Portal/NIL. SUCKS!

vCash
    I agree with both SVD and Base!

vCash
    This is the right approach. No different than NFL at this point and the sooner we accept it the more we will all enjoy it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This is the right approach. No different than NFL at this point and the sooner we accept it the more we will all enjoy it.
    Yes it's moved to the level of professional sports at this point.

vCash
    I'm amazed at MSU alumni or fans who think it's ok to quit on ur team, then say I might come back but first let me look around. I might think different if a player was a Walter Payton/Emmett Smith type player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Once NCAA football reaches the same level of interest I have for the NFL, I will have as much free time on Saturdays as I do on Sundays now. And it's not far off.

vCash
    NIL is not the problem. The problem is the dumb one free transfer rule combined with NIL. That model is just unsustainable. Each one by themselves is not a problem, but combined they are a hell of an issue.

vCash
    Someone (Paul Jones I think) mentioned a stat that said out of the thousands and thousands of players who have entered the portal only 26 have gone back to their original schools. MSU has 3 of those.

Also, when I hear the word "portal" I think about an English guy zipping around space in a phone booth.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    NIL is not the problem. The problem is the dumb one free transfer rule combined with NIL. That model is just unsustainable. Each one by themselves is not a problem, but combined they are a hell of an issue.
    Yes at this point the players have all the leverage and teams have no recourse or anything to keep the player contracted to the team.

vCash
    Ding Ding Ding.

And the kicker is, while the NIL issue was largely required by a court decision, schools chose on their own to allow the free transfer with immediate eligibility rule. Nobody forced schools to allow that. All time dumb move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Ding Ding Ding.

And the kicker is, while the NIL issue was largely required by a court decision, schools chose on their own to allow the free transfer with immediate eligibility rule. Nobody forced schools to allow that. All time dumb move.
    Well the reasoning they gave was that since coaches could change jobs with no penalties then players can change schools without having the sit out. This is incorrect since coaches have to pay buyouts to schools when they leave so they are penalized. So if kids want to start paying their scholarship money back to the university then I have no problem if they want to leave. However, there are currently ZERO repercussions for them leaving.

vCash
    Well the reasoning they gave was that since coaches could change jobs with no penalties then players can change schools without having the sit out. This is incorrect since coaches have to pay buyouts to schools when they leave so they are penalized. So if kids want to start paying their scholarship money back to the university then I have no problem if they want to leave. However, there are currently ZERO repercussions for them leaving.
    This. The players have the hammer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Ding Ding Ding.

Any student can change schools any time they want. Football players shouldn't be any different.
    Now I would add this, the entrance standards to get into college should be the same for all students as well, and there should be documented students with similar grades/entrance testing etc to the lowest accepted football player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm amazed at MSU alumni or fans who think it's ok to quit on ur team, then say I might come back but first let me look around. I might think different if a player was a Walter Payton/Emmett Smith type player.
    Agree. This is where we are in our overall culture. Anything goes, all the time. There is no right or wrong or standards or truth, just truth to me, right now. We don't know what a woman is but you better not make a woman related negative comment? Total chaos and confusion rules the day now and everyone thinks that is OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Someone (Paul Jones I think) mentioned a stat that said out of the thousands and thousands of players who have entered the portal only 26 have gone back to their original schools. MSU has 3 of those.

Also, when I hear the word "portal" I think about an English guy zipping around space in a phone booth.
    Also read a stat that about 47% of them land nowhere, so there goes their scholarship/education. NCAA hasn't addressed this. However, we know all these "student athletes" think they don't need a degree as they are all going to the NFL.***** Sad for many. Many also seem to be dropping a level or so if they so land anywhere. Our only exceptions this year are Locke, Roberson, DJ(TBD), and RaRa who may be redeemed by OM/AU when all is said and done. *** Portal and NIL have put some more nails in the student/athlete coffin with little room for more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes it's moved to the level of professional sports at this point.
    Which is why it has lost some appeal to fans! We don't want pro sports we want amateur/college sports like we grew up with (for us old guys anyway)! It is not the same anymore! I don't know if we can put the genie back in the bottle unless they Crete a semi-pro team for 4/5 star players and the rest enroll at a "true" university where they go to class to get a degree, first and foremost!

vCash
    Nil and portal don’t work together, it’s more like the nfl with permanent free agency with no salary cap.

vCash
    Not to mention there seems to be no consideration that the athletes are supposed to be students as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by archdog View Post
    Any student can change schools any time they want. Football players shouldn't be any different.
    Now I would add this, the entrance standards to get into college should be the same for all students as well, and there should be documented students with similar grades/entrance testing etc to the lowest accepted football player.
    Well - it should go the other way. Athletes should have the same entrance standards as other students.