Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guessing the SEC weekend pitching staff

vCash

Guessing the SEC weekend pitching staff

Sounds like Thunder and Lightning are very high on Cijntje, wild ass guesses. Good news is that dudes deep in the staff have high ceilings. The 8th dude easily moves up. The 10th guy could be a Colby White. All the Canadian head cases with electric arms are the question but looks like they are not critical to overall competitiveness.

FYI - for the most part, teams only 7 arms in a weekend. Also 10 or so pitchers throw 95% of the innings in college rosters.

Starter-1: Cade Smith
    Starter-2: Gartman
    Starter-3: Jurrangelo Cijntje
    Relief -1: KC Hunt
    Relief -2: Pico
    Relief -3: Dohm
    Relief -4: Nixon
    ----------- top 7 ---------
    Starter -4: Tyler Davis
    Relief 5: Loftin
    Relief 6: Nate Williams
    Relief 7: Yntema (LH the coaches like)
    Relief 8: Stinnett
    ----------- top 12 --------
    Relief 9: Holcombe (Silence about him is curious)
    Relief 10: Logan Forsythe (No hit Crew vs Alabama)
    Relief 11: Tyson Hardin (Coaches like)

vCash
    If Stinnett can’t throw his curve for strikes, he might not be #8. If he can throw the curve for strikes, he might be #1 or #2.

vCash
    I hope Stinnett can get it together. He had times when he looked great last year and times he couldn't hit the backstop. Hoping the light bulb goes on for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magrooder View Post
    I hope Stinnett can get it together. He had times when he looked great last year and times he couldn't hit the backstop. Hoping the light bulb goes on for him.
    Yep. When he’s got it together, he’s a big time pitcher. When he doesn’t, he’s terrible. And sometimes we see both sides of him in the same inning.

Strikeout, strikeout, walk, walk, walk, strikeout.

vCash
    I stumbled upon a recent interview with Logan Tanner and Landon Simms. It was some random baseball podcast on facebook that 2 guys do, one is an lsu fan. They both talked about Stinnett and Hunt having the ability to be great but, as we already know, they have to put it together. They half jokingly mentioned not going “mental” as being an issue. I think that applies to Stinnett more than Hunt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    I stumbled upon a recent interview with Logan Tanner and Landon Simms. It was some random baseball podcast on facebook that 2 guys do, one is an lsu fan. They both talked about Stinnett and Hunt having the ability to be great but, as we already know, they have to put it together. They half jokingly mentioned not going “mental” as being an issue. I think that applies to Stinnett more than Hunt.
    Not talking about any current player, specifically...

This is the Same stuff people said about Cerantola. What we learned is that a 4-month college season is not the right place to fix things. Elite college teams want to win every game. Plus Foxhall has to work with dudes that can contribute in a reasonable horizon. Rookie League pro-baseball is different, nobody is in the stands and nobody cares if Niceville beats Macon. It's just dudes with Radar Guns in Panama hats logging data.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not talking about any current player, specifically...

This is the Same stuff people said about Cerantola. What we learned is that a 4-month college season is not the right place to fix things. Elite college teams want to win every game. Plus Foxhall has to work with dudes that can contribute in a reasonable horizon. Rookie League pro-baseball is different, nobody is in the stands and nobody cares if Niceville beats Macon. It's just dudes with Radar Guns in Panama hats logging data.
    Cerentola got hurt by COVID. Cost him a chance to play in the Cape or somewhere that he could develop.

College is too short of season to fix things and yes, more pressure to win games if you are somewhere like Mississippi State.

But I will say- if you are in the minors the difference is they are trying to teach you how to be a pro baseball player. And winning is part of that. Handling failure is too- but winning is something they all want to do.

Another problem MSU has is if we have guys that get hurt we can't pull someone off of the MSU club baseball team to fill their spot or pick up someone from the portal. In MLB if someone gets hurt they call up someone from AAA or sign someone who is a free agent who couldn't find a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by magrooder View Post
    I think the light bulb went off and then he got hurt. He's way better than our 8th guy. I'll say that. As far as Lo goes- we'll see.

vCash
    Sounds like Thunder and Lightning are very high on Cijntje, wild ass guesses. Good news is that dudes deep in the staff have high ceilings. The 8th dude easily moves up. The 10th guy could be a Colby White. All the Canadian head cases with electric arms are the question but looks like they are not critical to overall competitiveness.

FYI - for the most part, teams only 7 arms in a weekend. Also 10 or so pitchers throw 95% of the innings in college rosters.

Starter-1: Cade Smith
    Starter-2: Gartman
    Starter-3: Jurrangelo Cijntje
    Relief -1: KC Hunt
    Relief -2: Pico
    Relief -3: Dohm
    Relief -4: Nixon
    ----------- top 7 ---------
    Starter -4: Tyler Davis
    Relief 5: Loftin
    Relief 6: Nate Williams
    Relief 7: Yntema (LH the coaches like)
    Relief 8: Stinnett
    ----------- top 12 --------
    Relief 9: Holcombe (Silence about him is curious)
    Relief 10: Logan Forsythe (No hit Crew vs Alabama)
    Relief 11: Tyson Hardin (Coaches like)
    Not bad, but I'd swap Cijinte with Hunt. Have a hard time putting a freshman in unless he is a "no-doubter". I think both Cijinte and Loftin are the 2 freshman who I would bear watching closely for stardom, but not quite this early in the season. Have heard Cijinte swings a pretty strong bat as well. He could get some looks early on at other positions too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think the light bulb went off and then he got hurt. He's way better than our 8th guy. I'll say that. As far as Lo goes- we'll see.
    What role do you see for Colby Holcombe. The player has a MLB body and a reputed 100 MPH fastball. He pitched 1 inning in the 4-0 Alabama no-hitter, stuck out 3.

Comes from the Mississippi JC program and competition. We seem to get great players from in-state JCs.

vCash
    He still needs to be more consistent in the zone. Sky is the limit as far as potential goes. NEMCC only had 1 guy who could catch him so he really does work the guy behind the plate.

vCash
    Cade Smith- Friday
    Jurrangelo -Left Saturday
    Jurrangelo- Right Sunday

Just kidding. Have no idea past Smith

vCash
    In a perfect world the rotation would be:

Fri- KC
    Sat-Cade
    Sun- Gartman/Loftin

What I imagine we will see

Fri- Cade
    Sat- Gartman
    Sun- Stinnett/Loftin/Dohm/Cjintje

vCash
    What role do you see for Colby Holcombe. The player has a MLB body and a reputed 100 MPH fastball. He pitched 1 inning in the 4-0 Alabama no-hitter, stuck out 3.

Comes from the Mississippi JC program and competition. We seem to get great players from in-state JCs.
    He is one of the many question marks we have. If he is able to come in and consistently throw strikes he could be anything from a weekend starter to a second closer when Nixon is unavailable. Come in and consistently throw strikes will be the key though. Our last two fireballers, Cerrantola and Walling could not hit the strike zone if you doubled it in size.

vCash

Bullpen short relief if I had to guess.

He's only a sophomore so we should have him for one more year. We'll see where he is at this year and then go from there. It wouldn't shock me at all if he becomes our ace, our closer, or the next Cerentola. 2024 probably is his year though if he is going to have one here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Bullpen short relief if I had to guess.

He's only a sophomore so we should have him for one more year. We'll see where he is at this year and then go from there. It wouldn't shock me at all if he becomes our ace, our closer, or the next Cerentola. 2024 probably is his year though if he is going to have one here.
    It's interesting to compare the stats on Preston Johnson, Holcombe and Stinnett as JC Freshmen. PJ and Stinnett played a partial sophomore COVID 2020 season in JC. Holcombe is with MSU in his Sophomore season.

All three were the staff ace as a Freshman. All played in a common league of Mississippi JC baseball, similar competition, strike zones, and probably the same circuit of Umpires.

Holcombe leads on K/9 (15+), PJ and PS were 10+
    PJ leads with BB/9 (4.19), CH was 4.29, PS was 5.38
    Holcombe leads on OBA (0.142), PS was .181 and Beef was 0.242

in 2021, PJ's first season for MSU. PJ never threw more than 3 innings in a game until Omaha. He grew into the season and pitched 33 big innings, including the high-stakes Notre Dame Super Regional middle relief innings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    In a perfect world the rotation would be:

Fri- KC
    Sat-Cade
    Sun- Gartman/Loftin

What I imagine we will see

Fri- Cade
    Sat- Gartman
    Sun- Stinnett/Loftin/Dohm/Cjintje
    I am glad the schedule is not too brutal in the first 20 games. Many players can be tried. The Friday starter likely won't face a 1st Round counterpart until Game-23 vs Vandy at Home. I do expect Arizona State, Kentucky and Ohio State to field a competitive Friday man. USM will put a top arm in Trustmark on a Tuesday.

vCash
    Not sure what AZST has this year. They've been up and down but always have some high level talent. I think it will be a competitive series. I see them as comparable to Mizzou. I think they have like 2-3 CWS Championships (not totally sure on that though), but it was sort of back in the day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceBully View Post
    Not sure what AZST has this year. They've been up and down but always have some high level talent. I think it will be a competitive series. I see them as comparable to Mizzou. I think they have like 2-3 CWS Championships (not totally sure on that though), but it was sort of back in the day.
    Try 5 Nattys. Arizona State is one of the old blue bloods of college ball like USC used to be. ASU usually fields a decent team. I expect a good series…

On a side note, I have a picture when I was 12, I went to an Ole Miss baseball camp. I have a pic of me and Bianco with me wearing an Ole Miss camp t shirt and an Arizona State baseball hat… Last time I ever wore something Ole Miss… that was 22 years ago… I remember that was when McDonnell was there. He was really nice and Bianco was a dick. They had one assistant who was a really good dude but I can’t remember his name to save my life.

vCash
    Was Cliff Godwin there then? He's at ECU now. I think that's the name I'm after.