Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Dawgs UF Game Thread

vCash
    My hope is the new A.D. Selmon will hold people and especially coaches accountable. And I do mean really accountable. No more just being hopeful or no more good ol boy or no more only a few alumni controlling things in the athletic Dept. Somebody?s program is not performing and recruiting is not up to SEC standards then that coach gets called to the office and is instructed to correct the problem or you are going to get fired. We are now paying way too much money to accept losing and inept coaching.

And please don?t respond you will never build a program that way because nobody will want to coach here. I call B.S. on that. Because other programs do it every year with first year coaches. And we are not paying peanuts anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    Did we change something defensively before Auburn? I?m trying to figure out why 3 teams in a row have shot lights out from 3. I blew the AU game off as luck, the UT game I just assumed because they are superior to us but this game really makes me wonder what is going on defensively from 3
    I was beginning to think the same thing. Every team has a career high shooting night against us. Some of it luck as some 3s are contested and way out but this trend is disturbing . Maybe we suck on D too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I just showed you how that's not true. If Shaq plays 35 minutes tonight, we win.
    Jans not figuring out the rotations and who the best players are at this point in season is killing us. It is small things when you lose close games.

Cam, Shaq need all the minutes they can get period. McNair is outplaying Tolu. DJ just isn't helping us much and hurts more than helps a lot. Davis and Reed play good in spurts. I don't know how you can be so wishy washy with PT at this point in the season.

vCash
    Obviously I went overboard last night. I wanna see jans do 2 things the rest of this season/offseason...

1. Play Moore, cam, Hamilton, Murphy, and jones as many minutes as possible. I wanna see if he can develop these guys as a starting point for next year. W/L probably shouldn't even be a concern at this point bc we won't be able to win enough games to get to the tourney. Play for the future.

2. Recruiting the portal has to be a major step up from last year and this year's HS/juco class. And since I expect him to do this, I just upped my monthly donation to BI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Obviously I went overboard last night. I wanna see jans do 2 things the rest of this season/offseason...

1. Play Moore, cam, Hamilton, Murphy, and jones as many minutes as possible. I wanna see if he can develop these guys as a starting point for next year. W/L probably shouldn't even be a concern at this point bc we won't be able to win enough games to get to the tourney. Play for the future.

2. Recruiting the portal has to be a major step up from last year and this year's HS/juco class. And since I expect him to do this, I just upped my monthly donation to BI
    Did you direct it to hoops?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Did you direct it to hoops?
    Not specifically, no. I have it for baseball, football, and basketball. I assume it's evenly split, but I really don't know.

vCash
    Not specifically, no. I have it for baseball, football, and basketball. I assume it's evenly split, but I really don't know.
    Wish we at least would get some general guidance from the BDI. For example, is a disproportionate amount being earmarked for football and we need more funds directed to hoops and baseball. Do we not have enough basketball funds to compete for bball players? Look, I get it's tricky PR wise. If the funds are there and we're still not pulling decent players, it becomes highlighted publicly. So seed the info here with a back channel. We don't have to completely coddle these coaches, they're getting paid a fortune. And we are the ones funding it all by the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Jans is not going to be fired, unless this continues on through the 24/25 season. He has an enormous job on his hands, because talented players are becoming harder and harder to find, and then we have to sign them. Howland was here too long really, and while our program remained in a coma, our competitors around us invested and left us way behind.
    Just a general statement on basketball, and I know our program has been struggling for a while now, but with the transfer portal available in a sport that only really needs 7 to 9 players, if a coach can't get things fixed in 3 years or so then it's probably time to start looking elsewhere. That being said, this is still just year one for Jans.

vCash
    https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Mississippi+St.
    If you scroll down it gives the data on all the individual players. I think Jans will eventually win here and this is primarily a roster construction issue (too many terrible shooters.) That being said, I would like to see much more well defined roles for our guys on offense. The sample size is big enough now for most of them to where we know what they can and cannot do.

Davis has proven he can shoot 3s but never gets to the rim (only 15 attempts on Close 2s all season!)
    Moore is throwing up bricks (22% from 3, and 29% from Far 2) but has shown he can get to the rim. (46 attempts on close 2s at 63%)

Matthews, DJ, and Moore should strictly attack off the dribble and forget shooting 3s.
    Murphy, Hamilton, and Davis should launch 3s. Small sample size for Murphy and Hamilton so far but they can't be worse at shooting than what we have seen from the other guys.
    Tolu should never shoot outside of 3 feet and the same goes for McNair. Shoot within 3 feet and crash the boards. That is what their job should be.

vCash
    I'm pulling for him, but I think it's just a matter of time till I'm pulling for the new guy. I've saw nothing from him to suggest he can get the talent necessary to compete
    What coach ever will, unless we divert football/baseball NIL money to basketball? We just don't have enough population or money here in Mississippi to support another big sport.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    What coach ever will, unless we divert football/baseball NIL money to basketball? We just don't have enough population or money here in Mississippi to support another big sport.
    Our previous coach got enough talent to compete. Ucla just broke him coaching-wise

vCash
    Our previous coach got enough talent to compete. Ucla just broke him coaching-wise
    I agree, but I'll take the talent any day. Most coaches will yell you that. Good coaching only gets you so far, you have to have talented players to be successful and I don't think Jans will be able to recruit well enough to sustain success at State.