Thread: Shawn Jones Jr. almost pulled off something special in last night's game

vCash

Shawn Jones Jr. almost pulled off something special in last night's game

He played 30% of the game last night and the only counting stat he had was 1 block. Had zeroes across the board everywhere else. Almost pulled it off. Truly remarkable.

vCash
    Well he is a freshman and got potential. He has a great basketball body. Hope he can turn into something.

I remember a young timid player many years ago his freshman year, thinking I don't think he will turn into much. His name was Timmy Bowers and that turned out pretty good.

vCash
    Shawn is a walk-on, correct?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Correct

vCash
    We have a more talented player on the bench than Jones, Russell! He needs to play. He's a scorer and can make a jump shot, unlike everyone on our team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    We have a more talented player on the bench than Jones, Russell! He needs to play. He's a scorer and can make a jump shot, unlike everyone on our team.
    I've wondered what's keeping him off the floor. Can't/won't defend? He literally can't shoot it any worse than the others, and at least we've seen he's probably the most athletic guy on the team based on the way he absolutely posterized that poor kid earlier in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Why doesn't young Stansbury get to play?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I've wondered what's keeping him off the floor. Can't/won't defend? He literally can't shoot it any worse than the others, and at least we've seen he's probably the most athletic guy on the team based on the way he absolutely posterized that poor kid earlier in the season.

Supposedly Jans will not play him because he gets lost on defense. At some point , you have to give him some opportunities to play. Murphy is the same , lacks defensive awareness. Those two are our best scorers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Why doesn't young Stansbury get to play?
    My son gets torqued when Isaac doesn't get in the game!! LOL!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trob115 View Post
    I have no clue what Jans sees in Jones yet. I'm waiting for that break out game but I've seen nothing, not even his defense, that shows me he should play over Martavious Russell. Russell just needs time out there, Jans won't give it to him for whatever reason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I have no clue what Jans sees in Jones yet. I'm waiting for that break out game but I've seen nothing, not even his defense, that shows me he should play over Martavious Russell. Russell just needs time out there, Jans won't give it to him for whatever reason
    Yeah it's weird to me as well. Jans loves Jones but I've yet to understand it b/c I've not seen anything offensively or defensively that makes me agree with him getting minutes. I have no idea what Russell and Murphy would do with 28 minutes but I'm pretty curious.

vCash

Jans has made reference to Jones' play in practice

Sounds like he earned it.

vCash
    Russell can’t shoot either ...
    just because he had a monster dunk against some shit team

Would it hurt to get him some minutes ? Prob not . But it’s not like he is a difference maker

With Murphy I agree I wish he would play him more, but again it’s not like he is stat stuffer or an instant offense guy

This team is what it is, we will play good enough defense and hustle and do the little things to keep us competitive in almost every game , but if we can’t make shoots it’s going to be hard to win more than half of the remaining games

Bright side is now that Horton is gone Shaq will get more minutes

My biggest concern is the possible lack of effort on defense once the L’s continue to mount
    If we start slacking on that end it could get really ugly

By the way this team was picked to finish 13th in the league pre season , so let’s don’t act like It was a top 5 sec team

vCash
    If we are gonna give walk-ons some minutes, RUMPH needs to be out there.

Have you seen him shoot 3s?

vCash
    Russell can shoot the cover off ball. He is one of our best shooters in practice. He's also a good ball handler and can get to the rim too, but he's a better shooter than slasher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Sounds like he earned it.
    Its possible that he's earned it, but practices don't always convert to games when the lights come on. When I coached I had a lefty that couldn't miss the corner three in practice and during scrimmages but when games started he couldn't make one. I had certain set plays to get him to his spot and for whatever reason he just couldn't make them in games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Russell can’t shoot either ...
    just because he had a monster dunk against some shit team

Would it hurt to get him some minutes ? Prob not . But it’s not like he is a difference maker

With Murphy I agree I wish he would play him more, but again it’s not like he is stat stuffer or an instant offense guy

This team is what it is, we will play good enough defense and hustle and do the little things to keep us competitive in almost every game , but if we can’t make shoots it’s going to be hard to win more than half of the remaining games

Bright side is now that Horton is gone Shaq will get more minutes

My biggest concern is the possible lack of effort on defense once the L’s continue to mount
    If we start slacking on that end it could get really ugly

By the way this team was picked to finish 13th in the league pre season , so let’s don’t act like It was a top 5 sec team
    How do you know Russell can't shoot? Honestly, he hasn't been given the opportunity to get going in a game, none of us know what he can do until Jans give him the minutes. Heck it can't be worse than what Davis and Horton gave us. He's only played in 8 games and most of that was garbage minutes. I'm hoping we can keep Russell because he is one of those guys that potentially transfers away because lack of playing time and becomes a starter and contributor for another team.

Yes we were picked 13th in the SEC but we were also ranked as high as #16 with wins over Utah and Marquette at one point too.