Thread: Honest question here.

vCash

Honest question here.

How much does it affect you when Ole Miss does well?

My answer? It pisses me off. It makes me so mad that I had to quit following something that I loved since I was 15 years old, because I realized that Ole Miss was always going to get the better players. Once I realized that it's players and not coaches, it made me feel worse and I felt better by not following recruiting anymore.
    Back in the day (1990 I guess), I loved grabbing a Forrest Davis Recruiting Magazine and having to pay that B'hm bastard $500 dollars on 900 calls to find that who Miss. State was "talking to". For those that don't remember, you dialed the number, heard Mr. Davis say....

"Press 5 for Miss. State. Miss. State is recruiting a 4 star from Birmingham. He's a LB who's 6-3, 225 and runs a 4.4/40. I think State has a great chance, but call us back next week and we will give you the latest." "Thanks again, I'm Forrest Davis. Mr. LB from Birmingham looks to be leaning heavily to Alabama. Sorry State fans."

It was over, and over, and over and over. And I kept calling and calling and waiting for his publication to hit the newsstands.
    I'm mad that Ole Miss cares more than our fans do. I put a lot of money into the BC and the BI. It's not enough and I hope to throw more of my $$$ into these causes. I wish every. single. State fan would do the same.
    The time has come for all of us to do something. Your opinion doesn't mean crap on here unless YOU ARE donating your hard working money toward something that matters to all of us.
    For those that donate, thank you. For those that aren't putting a $1 toward the cause quit talking. Let's get after it. Please.

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    It doesn't affect me in the slightest. Neither team has the ability to win big long term and it usually goes in cycles. Either fanbase that tries to even remotely act like the other team is beneath them is delusional. It's like arguing over who's the smartest person on the short bus. Yeah you might be the smartest, but compared to everyone else you're still riding the short bus.

vCash
    Ole Miss caring more about football starts at the top of our athletic department and rolls down from there.

Selmon being a football guy will hopefully help.

There is no reason why we shouldn't put more into football than we do. We're not the 3-7 win team we were in the late 80's anymore. Every coach we've had since Jackie has won at least 8-10 games here at least once. That includes Croom and Moorhead. We've won 9 games four times since 2013. That's really solid.

vCash
    I personally dont think they care more than we do. I think they want people to think they care more than we do. There is a difference.

vCash
    But to answer your question yes it bothers me. I hate them with every fiber of my being and would not piss on them if they were on fire

vCash
    I couldn't care less what they do in any sport, I just want to beat them when we play each other.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I personally dont think they care more than we do. I think they want people to think they care more than we do. There is a difference.
    To your point I believe MSU has more fans at games in general than they do. Ole Miss games are more of a social event than anything else with the Grove. I definitely think MSU has that going on to a lesser extent with the Junction.

That said they definitely care more about recruiting than we do.

vCash
    I don't care if they do well, just not as well as they did last year in baseball.

vCash
    0%

vCash
    I have really hate ole miss. I mean really dislike them in every facet academics, administration, sports and their superior acting fans. And yes it pisses me off when they have winning programs and they beat us. Because it IMO it makes our university look less and stupid. And I agree that it?s like who?s the smartest on the short bus.

vCash
    I don't have to live amongst as many of them as most of y'all do (even though St. Simons Island has a sizeable OM contingent of people who couldn't get into UGA). I hate them, and I made sure my kids hate them.
    But, as I have gotten older I care less and less about what they are doing. Dwelling on Ole Miss is really one of MSU's fan bases fatal flaws. I think a lot of that comes from spending the so many years under their thumb. The 1990s brought a lot of change to MSU and it truly allowed us to stand on own (thanks Dr. Z). Who cares what those douche bags are doing - all our effort and attention needs to go into what can make us better. And we are better. Our campus is better. Our sports facilities are far superior. Our women are better looking. Our tailgating is better - my UGA friends I brought this year were blown away by the Junction and impressed with our gameday experience and really everything about their weekend (they are dying to come back for a weekend at the Dude). Our fanbase has just been told for so long that we are the inferior cow college they just believe it. Suck it up and change your mentality.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I don't have to live amongst as many of them as most of y'all do (even though St. Simons Island has a sizeable OM contingent of people who couldn't get into UGA). I hate them, and I made sure my kids hate them.
    But, as I have gotten older I care less and less about what they are doing. Dwelling on Ole Miss is really one of MSU's fan bases fatal flaws. I think a lot of that comes from spending the so many years under their thumb. The 1990s brought a lot of change to MSU and it truly allowed us to stand on own (thanks Dr. Z). Who cares what those douche bags are doing - all our effort and attention needs to go into what can make us better. And we are better. Our campus is better. Our sports facilities are far superior. Our women are better looking. Our tailgating is better - my UGA friends I brought this year were blown away by the Junction and impressed with our gameday experience and really everything about their weekend (they are dying to come back for a weekend at the Dude). Our fanbase has just been told for so long that we are the inferior cow college they just believe it. Suck it up and change your mentality.
    The thing is we can and have to IMO beat Ole Miss to continue to improve our standing because we're both in state.

No different than Tennessee and Vanderbilt in that regard.

vCash
    It bothers me greatly to see them do well, but I can tolerate it as long as we're beating them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The thing is we can and have to IMO beat Ole Miss to continue to improve our standing because we're both in state.

No different than Tennessee and Vanderbilt in that regard.
    Yes you do. But dwelling on it and letting it effect you when they do well is one of the reasons things became so "toxic" pre-Leach. We've had a mutually assured destruction approach since the 1910s. and all it really has done is rotate who is on probation every 3-5 years. It's why a friend of mine says the OM/MSU rivalry is like watching two hobos in knife fight over a can of beans. My measure is "Are we doing well, and what can we do to get better". If Ole Miss is doing better than us, it just means that's one more team we need to work to get better than. No different than A&M, Auburn etc.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

vCash
    One of the things I despise ole miss for is that it doesn?t matter who wins a football game.

My god if they get a good transfer or recruit they will cum on themselves over it all day like they won the national title

vCash
    Who is this Old Mess of which u speak.