Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm really liking the way we are trending with QB's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    History is on the side of Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tenn and Florida. Nobody outside of that group nobody has won the SEC outright since 1963. Kentucky tied with Georgia in 1976. That's the history. We want to get and stay in the second tier for a significant period of time. Everyone wants that. The only team recently to come close was So Car under Spurrier for 4 years. And he changed to accomplish that with the talent he was getting, different than how he did it at Florida. He was running it nearly 60% of the time and would try to hit some big plays. Not saying that we or anyone else from the lower tier has to do it ONLY that way but conversely you can't say it can only be done your way either.
    And UT hasn't won this century.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    That's like comparing Bill Russell's era to Shaq's..players were different...schemes were different...it can't be done reasonably..youre grasping at straws now....and history is definitely on my side and it's irrelevant that you don't want to see it...
    None of the teams winning the Natty throw it around. Did you see what UGA did to the TCU modified Air Raid? When you get over 35 passes in a game, you decrease your chance at winning. Especially against better teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That's kind of crazy that only those six have won the SEC since 1963. A little surprised that Ole Miss didn't win it once in that span in the 1960's. I'm sure they probably claim a title that they tied but didn't really win the tiebreaker knowing them.
    They were the last one outright in 1963. Just didn't want to type their stupid name in that post. Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    And UT hasn't won this century.
    That's very true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    None of the teams winning the Natty throw it around. Did you see what UGA did to the TCU modified Air Raid? When you get over 35 passes in a game, you decrease your chance at winning. Especially against better teams.
    I love Leach, but there's a reason his Texas Tech teams never played for a Natty. You've got to be able to pound the rock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Absolutely correct...when you have the talent advantages that they have you can play that way... we don't and won't in the foreseeable future so we have to be different ... We can play like them and have a mediocre ceiling, which is what most here want...or we can do it differently and have a mediocre floor.... which is what I want....to each his own...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I love Leach, but there's a reason his Texas Tech teams never played for a Natty. You've got to be able to pound the rock.
    This mentality is simply a recipe for mediocrity here... it's fine for Bama, Georgia, LSU, but it'll just keep us as a middling team that'll beat om half the time.... I just want better than that...

vCash
    Shucks, we are excited about a PWO and a back up. Meanwhile, our in state rival just pulled a State family kid (family has a box at DWS) to come compete with their sophomore starting QB and we are excited about a PWO.

It doesn?t matter what offense we run, we need to upgrade the talent. I hate giving those guys credit but they figure out what ways to replace WRs and upgrade the skill positions unlike we do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BankerDog View Post
    Shucks, we are excited about a PWO and a back up. Meanwhile, our in state rival just pulled a State family kid (family has a box at DWS) to come compete with their sophomore starting QB and we are excited about a PWO.

It doesn?t matter what offense we run, we need to upgrade the talent. I hate giving those guys credit but they figure out what ways to replace WRs and upgrade the skill positions unlike we do.
    Dont say stuff like this, the gatekeepers will call you a troll and closet reb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    This mentality is simply a recipe for mediocrity here... it's fine for Bama, Georgia, LSU, but it'll just keep us as a middling team that'll beat om half the time.... I just want better than that...
    Bro, you want a fantasy.

Saban pushed our shit in for 3 years. The AR didn't make a damn bit of difference. And yes, you do have to be able to pound the rock. That is football 101. If Leach had adapted his scheme to employ ground support for his air raid we would have been talking very differently about the three years under Leach because we would have been able to run the ball opening up opportunities for passes downfield for the air raid concepts.

vCash
    Howard going to OM I'm expecting Dart to hit the portal, it may be after spring practice but still think he leaves. I know he plays for the bad guys but think he would fit well in Barbay's offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll say this as I've said before. If we want to take the next step we have to recruit better. Scheme is secondary to the talent making it work. That goes for Leach and Mullen.

MSU needs to focus a lot more on building up our recruiting and focus less on getting some football genius to outscheme Alabama.
    At this point, that all comes down to money. I'm just not sure how we compete. We have spent real money on our current team to bring back real dudes on defense and sign a couple of nice HS kids, but overall it does not appear that we are competing for portal kids and HS kids that require big money.

This whole thing is a clusterf@ck.

vCash
    There seems to be alot of back and forth here about offensive strategy. It seems simple to me.

You want an offense that give the defense as much as possible to consider and you want to spread the defense out as much as possible. So, you want as close to a balanced run/pass ratio as possible. You'd want to add TE's because they can both block for runs and catch passes. Spread the field some and have a QB that can run it as well. Add in play action, misdirection, and tempo. To me, that would be the ideal offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Bro, you want a fantasy.

Saban pushed our shit in for 3 years. The AR didn't make a damn bit of difference. And yes, you do have to be able to pound the rock. That is football 101. If Leach had adapted his scheme to employ ground support for his air raid we would have been talking very differently about the three years under Leach because we would have been able to run the ball opening up opportunities for passes downfield for the air raid concepts.
    You just gonna forget Saban pushing us in every year since ?07?? You know how OM beat him and got to those two Sugar Bowls that 34 mentioned? They beat them going over the top. In 2014 that ran the ball 32 times for a remarkable 75 yards!! And in 2015 that ran 32 times for another 92 yard performance.

You know what beats the teams? It ain?t scheme, it?s players. So instead of arguing about the scheme, we need to start getting the talent. And the talent alone in MS isn?t going to get it done. We were increasing our footprint and need to keep that up with the new staff. Because of AJ and Metcalf, MS isn?t producing the offensive skill guys that the surrounding states are.

vCash
    You just gonna forget Saban pushing us in every year since ?07?? You know how OM beat him and got to those two Sugar Bowls that 34 mentioned? They beat them going over the top. In 2014 that ran the ball 32 times for a remarkable 75 yards!! And in 2015 that ran 32 times for another 92 yard performance.

You know what beats the teams? It ain?t scheme, it?s players. So instead of arguing about the scheme, we need to start getting the talent. And the talent alone in MS isn?t going to get it done. We were increasing our footprint and need to keep that up with the new staff. Because of AJ and Metcalf, MS isn?t producing the offensive skill guys that the surrounding states are.
    2014 OM vs bama: 32 runs, 31 passes
    2015 OM vs bama: 32 runs, 33 passes

vCash
    You just gonna forget Saban pushing us in every year since ?07?? You know how OM beat him and got to those two Sugar Bowls that 34 mentioned? They beat them going over the top.
    They blatantly cheated in ways that are still illegal. Got incredibly lucky (qb throws up a prayer, bounces off a db's helmet into the WR's hands).

And went over the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not to mention UM won the turnover battle both years...especially 2015. Bama 5 turnovers UM 0. I don't care who you are, if you cough it up at a 5 to 0 margin, you are going to lose 99% of those games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How did I know you would come in here with your stats. Per usual, though, you miss out important data that included yards and TDs. I?ve included those below for you:

2014: 32 runs, 76 yards, 0 TDs. 18/31 passing 251 yards, 3 TDs.

2015: 32 runs, 92, 2 TDs, 2.9 avg rush. 18/33 passing, 341 yards, 3 TDs.

So I ask again-how did they win? They generated big plays through the air to win. But again they had big play WRs, the two generational WRs in MS the last last 10 years. We have not recruited well at WR to find those. They have done a better job recruiting skills guy than we have. But again, as usual, you miss the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    They blatantly cheated in ways that are still illegal. Got incredibly lucky (qb throws up a prayer, bounces off a db's helmet into the WR's hands).

And went over the top.
    Yeah those 3 and 15s in 2014 Blake Sims scrambles weren?t drawn up were they?

vCash
    How did I know you would come in here with your stats. Per usual, though, you miss out important data that included yards and TDs. I?ve included those below for you:

2014: 32 runs, 76 yards, 0 TDs. 18/31 passing 251 yards, 3 TDs.

2015: 32 runs, 92, 2 TDs, 2.9 avg rush. 18/33 passing, 341 yards, 3 TDs.

So I ask again-how did they win? They generated big plays through the air to win. But again they had big play WRs, the two generational WRs in MS the last last 10 years. We have not recruited well at WR to find those. They have done a better job recruiting skills guy than we have. But again, as usual, you miss the point.
    The balance is what opened up those big plays.