Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm really liking the way we are trending with QB's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    What? LMAO. Our Maxprep stats arent up to date. We averaged 14 PPG and 256 ypg...and yes that is bad. But we probably played the toughest schedule in the state as a 2A we played two 5A's and 2 4A's. They scored 86 points the entire season before me. We scored 153 this year.

However- what you dont realize is that we are in a rebuild and doubled the offensive output from the year before. We did this starting a bunch of 9th and 10th graders. We have 9 starters returning on offense next year and 8 on D.

I took a job at a terrible football program to be near my kids. But as usual with any program I coach- they get better
    Good job coach. Keep grinding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    Well, we all get to see if his ass gets roasted or not....as that's the ultimate barometer here...my guess is that he's fired within 2 years... but it won't matter because no amount of losing will change your minds...
    If we go 8-4 you will complain. No different

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Luke Fickell hired an Air Raid coordinator. Kirby Smart hired a coordinator with a background in the air raid. Saban sticks with pro style because he will always have the talent to run it at a high level regardless of the coordinator.

And before anyone says it, I know Georgia doesn?t run the air raid, but Smart hired Monken for what he can do with his passing game.
    Glad to know ga runs the air raid. Hell they don't run 1/5 of the air raid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    If we go 8-4 you will complain. No different
    Agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    They are just posting, I won't say surface analytics, but it's not the deep dive that some others have done. Warren Sharp did a study on it and found direct correlation to passing and winning in todays game. That correlation however is not about just passing attempts. It's about the efficiency of passing yards per attempt. Those number bare out that you have higher success rate and yards than just purely throwing it a bunch. Recently Tulane beat USC because of an extremely high passing yards per attempt number. Not saying the ratio of run / pass they used should be copied but that is where the analytics are really taking offenses in the passing game. Not just purely throwing it to throw it. There are also studies showing that the play action pass is more efficient on average than pure drop back passes in many cases. Regardless if you have a good run game or not. It effects defenses, mainly linebackers. Note these were NFL studies. So I think when you adjust for talent level and risk factor of less accurate QB's and non-elite WR's, you have to adjust those number accordingly to your personnel.
    Yeah. Most of the studies show that you need an accurate QB and an offensive scheme that can attack deep while also using the quick pass game and RPO's as constraint plays to move the offense. Like LSU 2019.

To me, that's essentially saying throw it as much as you can early and often in the game with some logic behind the pass plays you are running. Therefore again the more you throw it the more likely you are to maximize your offensive output.

The exceptions being short yardage such as 3rd and 1 and running at the end of the game to run the clock out and preserve the lead. Which in theory running later like that should be more effective because you would essentially be running fresh running backs up against a tired defense. The only other exception I could think of is if a team is incredibly dreadful against the run. (Hi Ole Miss!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We went backwards w almost an entire offense returning. We weren't going forward. That's like saying the stock market went up today--- no it didn't and no we weren't
    We missed Makai Polk. If Leach had survived and we added an alpha type outside WR and moved Tulu to the slot as rumored I think Leach's offense would have made a huge jump. Not to mention another year of experience and dropping Georgia from the schedule would have only helped as well.

vCash
    I'm not understanding bringing Georgia up in this conversation as proof that you should run the ball.

1. Their QB was a former walk-on. Very good player but also a bit limited.

2. Being 45/55 pass/run isn't exactly what I would consider run heavy. I would say balanced. Even then that's a higher percentage than their normal "historical" ratio going more towards the pass.

3. Just because they ran the ball 55% of the time and won the title doesn't mean that they maximized their offense. That would be like me saying that because UCLA bunted a ton of times in 2013 and won a title that bunting is the obvious way to go in baseball.

4. When LSU went away from their historical norm of pass/run and passed more than they ran they went 15-0 and had probably the best offense in SEC history.

vCash
    Georgia actually threw the football 52% of the time during the first 3 quarters of games. So, it?s obvious that a lot of the running came when the game was in hand. This is the effect that Todd Monken handle that office. While they are not an air raid, all fence, Monken does use air raid concepts and his passing game. Those concepts are what has allowed them to create space for Brock Bowers. They were brought him on mash. They use him on shallow cross. They use him on Y sail and cross.
    Last edited by KB21; 01-19-2023 at 01:47 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We missed Makai Polk. If Leach had survived and we added an alpha type outside WR and moved Tulu to the slot as rumored I think Leach's offense would have made a huge jump. Not to mention another year of experience and dropping Georgia from the schedule would have only helped as well.
    Leach basically won 9 this past season and would have also in the prior season if not for the SEC officials drama in Memphis so, so I agree with Todd. I do however understand what CZA's offensive plan is and wish him well but I just feel that CML had MSU very much on the right track. Hail State

vCash
    Georgia actually threw the football 52% of the time during the first 3 quarters of games. So, it?s obvious that a lot of the running came when the game was in hand. This is the effect that Todd Monken handle that office. While they are not an air raid, all fence, Monken does use air raid concepts and his passing game. Those concepts are what has allowed them to create space for Brock Bowers. They were brought him on mash. They use him on shallow cross. They use him on Y sail and cross.
    Where do you get stats through quarters?

52% pass heavy through 3 quarters is a far cry from what you're calling for, 100% passing. 52 is basically even

vCash
    What was it Sargent Joe Friday would say ; "JUST THE FACTS MAME" , This thread has turned into another dick measuring contest. However, some of you have some interesting replies to each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not understanding bringing Georgia up in this conversation as proof that you should run the ball.

1. Their QB was a former walk-on. Very good player but also a bit limited.

2. Being 45/55 pass/run isn't exactly what I would consider run heavy. I would say balanced. Even then that's a higher percentage than their normal "historical" ratio going more towards the pass.

3. Just because they ran the ball 55% of the time and won the title doesn't mean that they maximized their offense. That would be like me saying that because UCLA bunted a ton of times in 2013 and won a title that bunting is the obvious way to go in baseball.

4. When LSU went away from their historical norm of pass/run and passed more than they ran they went 15-0 and had probably the best offense in SEC history.
    1. The guy won back to back NCAA titles, the argument that he's only so good because of the people around him should be out the door. Is he legit pro guy? Probably not. But he's a solid enough college QB.

2. That's the exact Pass:Run Ratio we are probably about to use if not more closer to actual 50/50 like Barbay was at CMU. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to argue here. We are going to have an extremely balanced offense moving forward.

3. So one of the best offensive teams of all time did not maximize their offense? lol. I've seen some crazy stuff said to defend a view point, but that's pretty bad.

4. 38 pass : 34 Run = 72 total plays per game. 52.8% Pass to 47.2% Run.
    - I would guess we are going to be close to that. Barbay at CMU was: 35 Pass to 40 Run = 75 plays per game. 46.7 % Pass to 53.3% Run.
    - Those numbers can easily move closer to 50/50 and I imagine they will.

vCash
    Barbay runs mesh and shallow cross as well, not to mention verticals with options built into them. Oh and some y-sail routes too. He must be an AR guy according to you, so what's the deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachT14 View Post
    Barbay runs mesh and shallow cross as well, not to mention verticals with options built into them. Oh and some y-sail routes too. He must be an AR guy according to you, so what's the deal?
    Says the guy who complained that Arnett was going to hire a pro style offensive coordinator, who now supports the pro style offensive coordinator he hired.
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    I can't wait till we revisit this thread in a year

vCash
    Says the guy who complained that Arnett was going to hire a pro style offensive coordinator, who now supports the pro style offensive coordinator he hired.
    No. He's AR, you set the parameters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I can't wait till we revisit this thread in a year
    Lock it. Stick it up top. Open it the Friday after the Egg and everybody get after it.

vCash
    No. He's AR, you set the parameters.
    Sorry, but Jim McElwain (whose offense Barbay runs) is not air raid. It's pro style, or pro spread to be more accurate even though it isn't a true spread.

vCash
    Sorry, but Jim McElwain (whose offense Barbay runs) is not air raid. It's pro style, or pro spread to be more accurate even though it isn't a true spread.
    He's runs AR pass concepts. You have said the entire thread that multiple guys who do that are actually full on AR guys. So he's AR according to you.

vCash
    He's runs AR pass concepts. You have said the entire thread that multiple guys who do that are actually full on AR guys. So he's AR according to you.
    Nowhere have I said that.