Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm really liking the way we are trending with QB's

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    I like data like this but I?ve learned over the years it is context dependent.

Like the data on going for it on 4th downs, analytics in baseball, etc.

You have to consider context, because an example looking back at 4th downs and saying you should usually go for it. I think you should but you have to consider it wasn?t that common back 30 years ago so the data can be misleading simply because it was t as common. And human decisions still played a part and always will play a part.

While I like data, I no longer believe things can be reduced to percentages and numbers at all times.

vCash
    Do you think Barbay will go up under center on 3rd and 4th and short any? I sure hope so.

vCash
    #AirRaidForever!!#SwingYourSword!!#FireArnett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paverdog View Post
    Do you think Barbay will go up under center on 3rd and 4th and short any? I sure hope so.
    He will go under center and wildcat on short yardage.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Good for him. Solid job for him to cut his teeth on and get some experience. I'm also gonna bet he doesnt run the pure AR at WK.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Thanks friend, it's been so long since i've seen that at state, so glad to see it. I'd like for us to go under center often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    I like data like this but I?ve learned over the years it is context dependent.

Like the data on going for it on 4th downs, analytics in baseball, etc.

You have to consider context, because an example looking back at 4th downs and saying you should usually go for it. I think you should but you have to consider it wasn?t that common back 30 years ago so the data can be misleading simply because it was t as common. And human decisions still played a part and always will play a part.

While I like data, I no longer believe things can be reduced to percentages and numbers at all times.
    They are just posting, I won't say surface analytics, but it's not the deep dive that some others have done. Warren Sharp did a study on it and found direct correlation to passing and winning in todays game. That correlation however is not about just passing attempts. It's about the efficiency of passing yards per attempt. Those number bare out that you have higher success rate and yards than just purely throwing it a bunch. Recently Tulane beat USC because of an extremely high passing yards per attempt number. Not saying the ratio of run / pass they used should be copied but that is where the analytics are really taking offenses in the passing game. Not just purely throwing it to throw it. There are also studies showing that the play action pass is more efficient on average than pure drop back passes in many cases. Regardless if you have a good run game or not. It effects defenses, mainly linebackers. Note these were NFL studies. So I think when you adjust for talent level and risk factor of less accurate QB's and non-elite WR's, you have to adjust those number accordingly to your personnel.

vCash
    Sounds great my friend, I'd like to see the QB under center very often.

vCash
    So, not only do we not wanna throw the ball, we wanna get rid of the shotgun formation as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    So 500 football with the AR isn't mediocrity? OK
    9-4 isn't mediocrity....it's better than our record will be next year... and it wasn't even the AR we were building toward yet...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Good for him. Solid job for him to cut his teeth on and get some experience. I'm also gonna bet he doesnt run the pure AR at WK.
    There is absolutely no way that he was going to get the OC job here. Great for him, solid gig, sharp guy that will do well and move up accordingly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    9-4 isn't mediocrity....it's better than our record will be next year... and it wasn't even the AR we were building toward yet...
    We weren't building to another air raid. It wasn't changing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We weren't building to another air raid. It wasn't changing.
    Judging by the QB's he was recruiting it was.... all of them had the ability to make some plays with their feet and all of them had the ability to stretch the field because the had better arm strength.... I'm not saying we were becoming TN.... just that we only had a short passing game and we were moving towards stretching the field vertically and trying to gravitate towards have a QB that could make a few plays per game with his feet.

vCash
    So, not only do we not wanna throw the ball, we wanna get rid of the shotgun formation as well.
    LMAO, now going under center on 3,4th&1 and running the most effective play in football is abandoning the shotgun formation.

You had a couple of good points and some data to back it, but you've strayed so far from reality that its really hard to not look at this as a troll job.

vCash
    I'm an old man, but it's just cazy to me to hand the ball off 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage in shotgun, when you can have the QB under center and just plow it for short yardage. Call me a running system fan, but thats football to me.

vCash
    Judging by the QB's he was recruiting it was.... all of them had the ability to make some plays with their feet and all of them had the ability to stretch the field because the had better arm strength.... I'm not saying we were becoming TN.... just that we only had a short passing game and we were moving towards stretching the field vertically and trying to gravitate towards have a QB that could make a few plays per game with his feet.
    Believe what you want. There is no way to prove anything now. There's a reason being able to run is the last thing he talks about when talking about his priorities for a qb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Believe what you want. There is no way to prove anything now. There's a reason being able to run is the last thing he talks about when talking about his priorities for a qb.
    On that we agree...

vCash
    You sure do love your random blogs with random folks.

vCash
    What song fans refuse to recognize is the fact that Mike had this offense going in the right direction. he inherited a situation with a poor culture. He did not have any receivers. He did not have a spring practice during his first year to install his system. Yet, he improved this offense from 109th in scoring to 60th in scoring to 48 in scoring this year. This year, his offense also improved in points per play. If you look at his history, it took him for years to build the offense the way he wanted it at Washington state. Once he had it where he wanted it, Washington State was a top 18 scoring team in the country. In 2019, Washington state was the 11th best scoring team in the country.

I believe the same thing would?ve happened here had we continued his system.

vCash
    What song fans refuse to recognize is the fact that Mike had this offense going in the right direction. he inherited a situation with a poor culture. He did not have any receivers. He did not have a spring practice during his first year to install his system. Yet, he improved this offense from 109th in scoring to 60th in scoring to 48 in scoring this year. This year, his offense also improved in points per play. If you look at his history, it took him for years to build the offense the way he wanted it at Washington state. Once he had it where he wanted it, Washington State was a top 18 scoring team in the country. In 2019, Washington state was the 11th best scoring team in the country.

I believe the same thing would?ve happened here had we continued his system.
    They like to use use quasi strawman arguments and talk about this year's AR as if it were a finished product. They pretend that this was all ML wanted his offense to do when it's not even logical based on what we've seen. The AR needs two things to succeed from the QB position...1) QB accuracy (and we had that) and 2) an ability to stretch the field the field vertically. We tried that with Costello but he only had one of those attributes...and those were the two main attributes ML was looking for in a QB... We didn't have that combo yet, but we were trying to get it. It also looked like he was trying to improve the athleticism at the position based on his recruiting. As homedawg pointed out, that was the least important attribute he was looking for, but based on his recruiting, it wasn't irrelevant to him. My guess is he wanted his QB to be able to take advantage of teams that left the middle open on 8 to 10 plays a game.

That's where we were headed... now we're just gonna kill time (and hopefully still beat om at least) and kick the can down the road...
    Last edited by mo7888; 01-18-2023 at 08:10 PM.