Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball - Bradley Loftin - Left Handed Freshman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name).
    Is he going to switch arms during the game, or be like two separate pitchers each weekend?

Imagine a future year where he's our Friday (LHP) and Saturday (RHP) starter.

Or if he's switching during the game, imagine a future where he goes 9 innings each Friday night.

vCash
    Switches during the inning. His body, core, legs etc can't do a Friday /sat.

vCash
    Pretty sure KC Hunt came back. He should be one of our big 3 this year.
    Hunt needs to have shown some drastic improvement from last year. I honestly don?t know that we have any ?big? anybody on the pitching staff. I?d say we are below average by SEC standards in starting pitching. Hope to make the post season and have developed a few guys through the season and meet some teams that haven?t been though our gauntlet. If those things happen and we are hitting a stride, who knows, lots of things can happen.

vCash
    Anybody know the progress on Stone Simmons? Not sure if we're expecting him back this year or not.........
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Gonna have to have some transfers come through. Mostly on the mound of course.

Biggest issue is we don't have an ace. Unless someone like Parker Stinnett pulls off a Chris Stratton.

I can't see Loftin in the rotation for now. Maybe midweek.

Kohn is kind of a good college player guy. Someone that could stay four years and be a good leader. Every team needs those kinds of guys.
    Yeah I agree. I do think we're going to be pretty decent offensively though. I think the staff could be pretty good in due time once guys settle into roles. There's some decent arms there. IF Stinnett could get his shit together, he can be a game changer. Remember how he pitched against Texas Tech a couple of years ago down in Biloxi. He definitely has Friday night stuff.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by No BS Dawg View Post
    Hunt needs to have shown some drastic improvement from last year. I honestly don?t know that we have any ?big? anybody on the pitching staff. I?d say we are below average by SEC standards in starting pitching. Hope to make the post season and have developed a few guys through the season and meet some teams that haven?t been though our gauntlet. If those things happen and we are hitting a stride, who knows, lots of things can happen.
    After last year, I definitely understand the cautious ineptitude. However, D1 Baseball (one of the premier outfits on college baseball) ranks Cade Smith as the 53rd best college draftable prospect in '23 (fwiw, Colton Ledbetter ranks 26th).

Cade combined with Stinnet's heater can be a formidable Fri-Sat combo - Foxhall just needs to figure out how to get them through the opposing team's lineup a 2nd time and into the 6th inning.

vCash
    I've watched alot of PFS and remain skeptical that he can be consistent on the mound. I view anything positive we get from him as a bonus

Let's not forget that we had pegged Hunt to be our Friday night guy heading into last season. Hunt came back to prove he is that guy. Give me:

Hunt- Friday
    Smith- Sat
    Gartman- Sun

And honestly- with our LHP we have this year I'm not sure I wouldnt tandem some guys on the weekend. Maybe go Smith/Kohn tandem on Satuday. Gartman/Davis on Sunday. Look to get 4 Innings from each. They are getting work yet staying fresh for June.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Let's not forget that we had pegged Hunt to be our Friday night guy heading into last season. Hunt came back to prove he is that guy. Give me:

Hunt- Friday
    Smith- Sat
    Gartman- Sun

And honestly- with our LHP we have this year I'm not sure I wouldnt tandem some guys on the weekend. Maybe go Smith/Kohn tandem on Satuday. Gartman/Davis on Sunday. Look to get 4 Innings from each. They are getting work yet staying fresh for June.
    This definitely has merit. Looking at our depth (and I know I've missed several), Lem & Fox should have a lot of options to get us back on track. I also realize we need to temper our expectations of the freshmen, but still, if OM can ride Hunter Elliot to Omaha as a freshman, we should be able to count on some of our freshmen. Here's the depth I'm really liking, and it seems a lot of them throw heat.

RH - Cade Smith (jr)
    RH - Landon Gartman (jr)
    RH - KC Hunt (jr)
    RH - Parker Stinnett (jr)
    LH - Pico Kohn (soph)
    RH - Nate Dohm (soph)
    RH - Aaron Nixon (jr), transfer closer from Texas
    LH - Tyler Davis (jr), transfer from VCU
    LH - Bradley Loftin (fr)
    RH/LH - Lo Cijentje (fr)
    RH - Colby Holcomb (soph) juco AA
    LH - Graham Yntema (soph)

vCash
    After last year, I definitely understand the cautious ineptitude. However, D1 Baseball (one of the premier outfits on college baseball) ranks Cade Smith as the 53rd best college draftable prospect in '23 (fwiw, Colton Ledbetter ranks 26th).

Cade combined with Stinnet's heater can be a formidable Fri-Sat combo - Foxhall just needs to figure out how to get them through the opposing team's lineup a 2nd time and into the 6th inning.
    No cautious ineptitude, at all. Working off of facts based on last year. We are looking at a guy coming off injury, and guy that drastically underwhelmed in the same roll we put him in last year, and a guy that was overextended all season due to the pitching situation. As we stand currently, we are not in the top half of the SEC in that department. I hope this is proven wrong quickly and we are drastically improved. If Cade performs like the 53 ranked prospect, that?s only one of the three starting rotation spots. We need others to perform at a higher level consistently too as we can?t expect to win all his starts.

vCash
    In a perfect world I imagine our starting rotation would be

Fri. KC
    Sat. Cade
    Sun. Either Loftin or Gartman

Midweek Dohm, Lo, Stinnett, Davis

vCash
    Gartman will be in our weekend rotation. Dohm will start out on the backend I believe, but can throw in a lot if spots. Lofton midweek. Cymbalta will throw midweek but could be used on the weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Is he going to switch arms during the game, or be like two separate pitchers each weekend?

Imagine a future year where he's our Friday (LHP) and Saturday (RHP) starter.

Or if he's switching during the game, imagine a future where he goes 9 innings each Friday night.
    It's batter to batter. He wears a special glove that works on both hands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    It's batter to batter. He wears a special glove that works on both hands.
    If both arms are equally good, and he can keep them both lose, he ought to have a lot more stamina than a typical starter. If he can get into our rotation (maybe in a future season) and eat up a whole game each weekend, that would take a lot of pressure off the bullpen.

vCash
    Last year when Parker was healthy, he pitched the BEST game we had all year against top-10 Texas Tech with 12 strikeouts to only 3 BBs. If he can get past the mental hurdles and stay healthy, he definitely could be one of the ones we're talking about making the BIG jump. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    His issue went from mental to physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Anybody know the progress on Stone Simmons? Not sure if we're expecting him back this year or not.........
    I wouldn't expect a lot from him. Maybe late in the year in some midweek games. That may be optimistic. It's going to be a rehab year for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Yeah I agree. I do think we're going to be pretty decent offensively though. I think the staff could be pretty good in due time once guys settle into roles. There's some decent arms there. IF Stinnett could get his shit together, he can be a game changer. Remember how he pitched against Texas Tech a couple of years ago down in Biloxi. He definitely has Friday night stuff.
    Offensively we're going to be different than last year. We're going to have a lot more balance throughout the lineup. Probably will result in less power but also should result in fewer strike outs. Will be more like what we were used to seeing from 2016-2021 which is what I still feel like is the best way to go on offense in baseball. We're still going to have power but we'll also have the ability to manufacture runs as well. We didn't really have a true leadoff guy and now we do with Larry. And I think that Ledbetter will may hit 2 which will allow us to drop down Hancock which is a better spot for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I've watched alot of PFS and remain skeptical that he can be consistent on the mound. I view anything positive we get from him as a bonus

Hunt- Friday
    Smith- Sat
    Gartman- Sun

Last year Sims was the Friday night guy going into the season. There is a lot of talk in baseball circles in general about pitching staffs going to be more like tandem rotations where the first guy throws like 50 pitches and then you bring in someone else for 50 pitches and then you go to your flamethrowers and shut down guys. And that's not just us- I'm talking about at the MLB level. Part of it is injury prevention related and part of it is strategy. For a MSU example- if we throw a guy like Ethan Small from the left side for three and then go to a guy from the right side like Ginn who is very different and then close it out with Sims- that's tough on hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    If both arms are equally good, and he can keep them both lose, he ought to have a lot more stamina than a typical starter. If he can get into our rotation (maybe in a future season) and eat up a whole game each weekend, that would take a lot of pressure off the bullpen.
    The thing that a lot of people don't know about pitching is how much you use your whole body and your legs. So no way we would be able to use him twice as a starter on a weekend. Assuming that he is used conventionally and throws 100 pitches. Even using him in relief for an inning later in the weekend or midweek would be dicey at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    His issue went from mental to physical.
    Offensively we're going to be different than last year. We're going to have a lot more balance throughout the lineup. Probably will result in less power but also should result in fewer strike outs. Will be more like what we were used to seeing from 2016-2021 which is what I still feel like is the best way to go on offense in baseball. We're still going to have power but we'll also have the ability to manufacture runs as well. We didn't really have a true leadoff guy and now we do with Larry. And I think that Ledbetter will may hit 2 which will allow us to drop down Hancock which is a better spot for all involved.
    I'm liking all this, Todd, but I'm still thinking we could make a run at last year's HR total. I think our OF defense will be greatly improved especially WHEN Dakota Jordan takes over in LF with Ledbetter in CF. I think Alford is going to continue taking the next step from summer ball and settles into the 3-hole. Knowing how Lem likes the balanced lefty-righty batting order, I can see the lineup looking something like this:

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR
    2 - Ledbetter, CF(L) - 15 HR
    3 - Alford, 3B (R) - 13 HR
    4 - Hines, 1B (L) - 20 HR
    5 - Downs / Hujsak, DH (R) - 15 HR
    6 - K Clark, RF (L) - 20 HR
    7 - Dakota Jordan, LF (R) - 8 HR
    8 - Hancock, C (L) - 10 HR
    9 - Forsythe, SS (R) - 3 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR

vCash
    I'm liking all this, Todd, but I'm still thinking we could make a run at last year's HR total. I think our OF defense will be greatly improved especially WHEN Dakota Jordan takes over in LF with Ledbetter in CF. I think Alford is going to continue taking the next step from summer ball and settles into the 3-hole. Knowing how Lem likes the balanced lefty-righty batting order, I can see the lineup looking something like this:

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR
    Very solid line-up right there.

vCash
    Yeah my bad- Hunt was going to be the Sat guy with Cade on Sunday

vCash

1 - Larry, 2B (R) - 5 HR

TEAM HR Total = 105 HR
    If Hines and Clark hit 40 HRs between them then we are in Omaha. We will just bash people to death. Who is pitching for us will not matter much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    If Hines and Clark hit 40 HRs between them then we are in Omaha. We will just bash people to death. Who is pitching for us will not matter much.
    They hit 30 combined between them last year but here's hoping Kellum really figures things out this year and can hit at a .285/.600/.385 clip.

I also agree with Todd in that we should be able to cut back on the SO as LoTan, Mule & Kam all k'd at 45 or more times on the season.

vCash
    Hines has 20 HR potential for sure. I'll be happy if Clark hits 15