Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball - Bradley Loftin - Left Handed Freshman

vCash

Baseball - Bradley Loftin - Left Handed Freshman

Saw these pictures of Loftin throwing, dated 12/27/22

His fall ended early, so he did not pitch in the scrimmages vs Alabama.

This is one of MSU's top freshmen. With Loftin (FR), Pico Kohn (SO), Tyler Davis (JR), and Graham Yntema (JR) seems the team has a huge upgrade in LHP vs 2022. Lofin and Kohn are true Blue Chip HS talents. Davis is a Friday night transfer from VCU, so he is a very good player with experience. Yntema is a JC transfer with stats that signal lots of promise.

Yntema throws in the High-80's but strikes out lots of hitters. Total JC stats don't look stellar but gave up most of his hits and runs in the last 4 appearances. Un-Hittable in his first 42 innings and then had a rough final 13 innings to end his season. Even 10 or the 25 walks happened in that last 13 innings. Curious.

vCash
    Gonna have to have some transfers come through. Mostly on the mound of course.

Biggest issue is we don't have an ace. Unless someone like Parker Stinnett pulls off a Chris Stratton.

I can't see Loftin in the rotation for now. Maybe midweek.

Kohn is kind of a good college player guy. Someone that could stay four years and be a good leader. Every team needs those kinds of guys.

vCash
    Todd hits the nail. At this point, C. Smith is probably a Saturday type guy and then we have a few Sunday guys. Maybe some or all make a jump. I think we have more arms with potential than we did last year, but several are going to have to step up and command consistently.

Hope I?m wrong, but I don?t think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Todd hits the nail. At this point, C. Smith is probably a Saturday type guy and then we have a few Sunday guys. Maybe some or all make a jump. I think we have more arms with potential than we did last year, but several are going to have to step up and command consistently.

Hope I?m wrong, but I don?t think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.
    Dohm, Nixon, gartman all have to be big factors if we want to be too half of the league. Until they do it here, I understand the skepticism.

vCash
    Unless we have some pitchers perform significantly above expectations, I think we are a middle of the pack SEC team at best this season. Would love to be wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Saw these pictures of Loftin throwing, dated 12/27/22

His fall ended early, so he did not pitch in the scrimmages vs Alabama.

This is one of MSU's top freshmen. With Loftin (FR), Pico Kohn (SO), Tyler Davis (JR), and Graham Yntema (JR) seems the team has a huge upgrade in LHP vs 2022. Lofin and Kohn are true Blue Chip HS talents. Davis is a Friday night transfer from VCU, so he is a very good player with experience. Yntema is a JC transfer with stats that signal lots of promise.
    Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name). I can't remember the last time we had so much LHP, but I think it's especially awesome for 2024.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Don't forget about our ambidextrous prodigy Lo Cijente (I know I mis-spelled his name). I can't remember the last time we had so much LHP, but I think it's especially awesome for 2024.
    I got to see that for myself, against hitters from Southern Miss, Georgia, and Arizona State.

I know he has a primary arm and the other is good. But is it D1 good? SEC good?

There is probably a good reason you see switch hitters and almost Zero switch pitchers.

vCash
    I'm excited about the season.

I don't have too high expectations, but it's kinda hard to be worse than last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we are going to have the pitching to finish above middle of the pack SEC, which would still be a good season. That, in my mind, is best case scenario.
    I think Cade and Beef did better than their stats in 2022. They were stretched and stressed because the pen was not good. Lemonis let good starts become rough cause he needed something left for Sunday.

Last year, the pen was trotting out cats with +9 ERAs for SEC middle relief.

Not every prospect is going to pan out, but last year's pitching was historically bad. Like we were cursed with some evil. MSU usually gets a Houston Harding, Chuck Holly, John Harden, Ross Mitchell, or Girodo surprise from a player than scouts that did not fancy. Last year, we got nothing but injuries and Paul Young mental flops.

vCash
    I think Cade and Beef did better than their stats in 2022. They were stretched and stressed because the pen was not good. Lemonis let good starts become rough cause he needed something left for Sunday.

Last year, the pen was trotting out cats with +9 ERAs for SEC middle relief.

Not every prospect is going to pan out, but last year's pitching was historically bad. Like we were cursed with some evil. MSU usually gets a Houston Harding, Chuck Holly, John Harden, Ross Mitchell, or Girodo surprise from a player than scouts that did not fancy. Last year, we got nothing but injuries and Paul Young mental flops.
    Jaxon Fristoe - is he still with the team? Lemonis kept trying him as the closer last year because he liked his stuff. If he's still around, he could also be one to take that leap forward.

vCash
    Dont have a Friday night guy? Did Hunt get hurt or disappear?

Fristoe signed with the Yankees
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Jaxon Fristoe - is he still with the team? Lemonis kept trying him as the closer last year because he liked his stuff. If he's still around, he could also be one to take that leap forward.
    He's gone. I don't think we were going to get a leap there.

You could say, he felt that way himself and took a mid-round pick to move on.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 01-15-2023 at 12:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Dont have a Friday night guy? Did Hunt get hurt or disappear?

Fristoe signed with the Yankees
    Pretty sure KC Hunt came back. He should be one of our big 3 this year.

vCash
    Pretty sure KC Hunt came back. He should be one of our big 3 this year.
    I'm not sure he has a rotation spot locked down. He could start. He also could be a multi inning relief guy.

If you ask me our rotation is going to be Stinnett Fri, Cade Smith Sat, and Landon Gartman Sun. Hunt or one of the freshmen could compete and get the Sunday spot and then we end up using Gartman like we used Houston Harding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not sure he has a rotation spot locked down. He could start. He also could be a multi inning relief guy.

If you ask me our rotation is going to be Stinnett Fri, Cade Smith Sat, and Landon Gartman Sun. Hunt or one of the freshmen could compete and get the Sunday spot and then we end up using Gartman like we used Houston Harding.
    Parker on Fri....oh, boy.

vCash
    He's gone. I don't we were going to get a leap there.

You could say, he felt that way himself and took a mid-round pick to move on.
    We'll never know. I don't think Foxhall's style really fit him that well IMO. He's better if he works down in the zone. We also repeatedly put him in some shitty situations and it's hard to build confidence when you kept being brought into a bases loaded no outs situation with the game on the line every time it seems like and you're already struggling with your command.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    He was by far our best pitcher in the fall and it wasn't even close.

He is not good as a relief pitcher. Not sure if it's the mental aspect of it or he takes longer to get loose- whatever it is he struggles with it.

As a starting pitcher he was actually Ok. And then he got hurt which I think affected him his last couple of starts which were pretty bad. But before those two starts starting in Biloxi he was pretty good outside of the Georgia series.

Don't be surprised if he's our next guy who struggled for two years and then blows up as a SEC ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Seems that if Stinnett is Friday, our recruiting and portal work is pretty horrible these last two seasons.

Seriously, most SEC teams sport 1st round talent on Friday, this dude has not even looked D1 for MSU.

vCash
    with the key phrase being "has not" yet..................

vCash
    Seems that if Stinnett is Friday, our recruiting and portal work is pretty horrible these last two seasons.

Seriously, most SEC teams sport 1st round talent on Friday, this dude has not even looked D1 for MSU.
    Last year when Parker was healthy, he pitched the BEST game we had all year against top-10 Texas Tech with 12 strikeouts to only 3 BBs. If he can get past the mental hurdles and stay healthy, he definitely could be one of the ones we're talking about making the BIG jump. Let's keep our fingers crossed.