Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Rogers - shopping around

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    If any of this is true (and I don't think it is), we should not get into a bidding war for Will. I love the kid, but that money can be spent much better elsewhere. And I don't blame Will if he gets a good offer, he should take it, let's be real his life after college will be coaching football or selling insurance and I'm sure he understands that.
    Here's the deal- it's way easier to retain players than buy players out of the portal. The cost is cheaper. We can't get in a bidding war for a replacement of the quality of Will. That's the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Just trying to make his qb room better. Ashford is mobile- which everyone here wants- but can't pass a lick. How did that work for em??
    It is hard to see how AU would be a fit for Will. Injury, bench time, or musical quarterback chairs seems like the most likely options. The system is any iffy fit with a young incumbent starter who fits the system better and came on down the stretch this year. And that fan base will not be patient.

He should follow Spurrier Jr to Tulsa. Discounting Covid year, he has 2 years to play, right? Already has 10k+ yards. He could potentially set the all time NCAA passing record there and walk away a legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Hilarious that this has turned into fan donations in order to pay these guys and the universities are still sitting on fat TV checks. Completely missed the point. Fans of schools like ours will lose interest
    I do my part donating to the BI but I agree, and curious how the schools can get involved. The way I understand the school cannot directly pay the players. But what are the loopholes? Can we hire an individual on a temp contract who is technically not a member of the university and pay he/she $3M a year? and that individual just happens to love State athletics and donates $2.85M per year? You?d need a great counsel to lock it down but there?s gotta be a way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Hilarious that this has turned into fan donations in order to pay these guys and the universities are still sitting on fat TV checks. Completely missed the point. Fans of schools like ours will lose interest
    The university still can't pay players and have to use that money for the entire athletic budget. But let me know how it works out when you pay football players and eliminate the other sports to do so with Title IX still in place. Don't think we win that battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Here's the deal- it's way easier to retain players than buy players out of the portal. The cost is cheaper. We can't get in a bidding war for a replacement of the quality of Will. That's the point.
    Way way more cost effective to retain than to buy from the portal. The numbers are pretty insane for some of these guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    The university still can't pay players and have to use that money for the entire athletic budget. But let me know how it works out when you pay football players and eliminate the other sports to do so with Title IX still in place. Don't think we win that battle.
    Not arguing technicalities in the rules in place, just think this misses the whole mark in a huge way when the argument all along is "look how much money it makes"

vCash
    Way way more cost effective to retain than to buy from the portal. The numbers are pretty insane for some of these guys.
    Negative ghost rider, money is money (unless he gives a hometown discount). If Will gets offered $100k by the barn, we should not match it, that money is much, much better spent elsewhere. Now if Will is offered $50k, but will stay in Starkvegas for $25k, that may be worth it. Will is a system QB (not that there is anything wrong with that), but he has some serious flaws, google any list of top college QBs for 2022 and his name "will" (pun intended) not be high on many lists, in spite of breaking records. If we ran Woody Marks 40 times per game and he averaged 5 yards/carry, he'd break records too. Will was not the reason for our success in 2022.
    Last edited by viverlibre; 01-14-2023 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    Negative ghost rider, money is money (unless he gives a hometown discount). If Will gets offered $100k by the barn, we should not match it, that money is much, much better spent elsewhere. Now if Will is offered $50k, but will stay in Starkvegas for $25k, that may be worth it.
    Dude, you think the monies being thrown around are that low. You are extremely off base. But for argument sake, take that $25,000 and see what kind of QB you could possibly sign.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-14-2023 at 11:19 AM.

vCash
    Dude, you think the monies being thrown around are that low. You are extremely off base.
    Then we certainly need to get out of the "Will" sweepstakes.

vCash
    Anytime someone disagrees w/you it's a bad post. NO, this is an absolute shit show.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Then we certainly need to get out of the "Will" sweepstakes.
    I wasn't even talking about Will. I edited my post, but the numbers you are talking about are completely unrealistic across the board. Not just Will money but for a replacement QB as well.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-14-2023 at 11:29 AM.

vCash
    It is probably best that many of you quit following college athletics. (And then I do not know why you would spend time on a message board.) I think many of you are underestimating the monetary numbers being thrown around, including Will?s,

vCash
    He is not actively looking and never was. He wants to be here. There are some schools one really big one that has came to him. He loves this program

But the staff did tell some kids they were going to keep the offense in the family

Senior Member Vandownbytheriver's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    He is not actively looking and never was. He wants to be here. There are some schools one really big one that has came to him. He loves this program

But the staff did tell some kids they were going to keep the offense in the family
    Keep the offense in the family? What does that mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack07 View Post
    It is probably best that many of you quit following college athletics. (And then I do not know why you would spend time on a message board.) I think many of you are underestimating the monetary numbers being thrown around, including Will?s,
    This is the correct answer. If you want the best QBs out of high school, its millions to get them. If some of the best ones in college football transfer, it's millions to get them. Good QBs are 6 figure deals. If you think I'm exaggerating, go do the research and look at what happened with the kid at UNC. Look at the kid asking for his release from Florida.

It's ok if you don't want to help NIL to get or keep players. Just understand you need to temper your expectations because we aren't going to get game changing players.

We are going to lose folks every year. Get over it. But don't complain about what it is if you aren't going to contribute to how to fix it.

vCash
    The best policy is dont open your mouth about something you dont know a thing about.

Will has turned down money and given his away so other kids will stay here. It?s up to him and his family. And they hate the portal stuff along with anyone else who believes in whats right

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandownbytheriver View Post
    Keep the offense in the family? What does that mean?
    Keep it in the air raid tree. And Barbay may do that. We better. But it is a fact kids were told it wouldn?t be a total rebuild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    The best policy is dont open your mouth about something you dont know a thing about.

Will has turned down money and given his away so other kids will stay here. It?s up to him and his family. And they hate the portal stuff along with anyone else who believes in whats right
    I appreciate you posting Bucky. I know how close you are to him and the family. Will absolutely has been a great asset to the Bulldog family in so many ways.

vCash
    No he is not.
    Yes he is. One we see every year.

vCash
    Dude, you think the monies being thrown around are that low. You are extremely off base. But for argument sake, take that $25,000 and see what kind of QB you could possibly sign.
    Just give up trying to explain it. I have.