Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Briles to TCU?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Heard from a buddy that an Ark writer confirmed that Briles had officially accepted our job and had informed Pitman he was leaving. He (rumors of his wife on here) got cold feet and backed out the deal to be our OC. That Ark offer was their finally offer and wouldn't give him anymore money and was less what we offered.
    Isn't TCU in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? That's some good Rodeo Drive level shopping for Mrs. Briles. Sure beats the Walmart in Starkville.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Isn't TCU in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? That's some good Rodeo Drive level shopping for Mrs. Briles. Sure beats the Walmart in Starkville.
    Yeah, Fort Worth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Heard from a buddy that an Ark writer confirmed that Briles had officially accepted our job and had informed Pitman he was leaving. He (rumors of his wife on here) got cold feet and backed out the deal to be our OC. That Ark offer was their finally offer and wouldn't give him anymore money and was less what we offered.
    Don't buy it. Nobody is making multi-million dollar career decisions based on where the nearest Target is. People act like moving to Starkville is like moving to the Mozambique.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    This cannot be true. KB said that TCU would go after another air raid coach so Briles isn't an option my delusional people's.

Btw TCU was a 56/44 % run/pass team in 2022. The TCU "air raid" ran the ball more than Barbay's offense lol. Y'all don't tell kb tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Don't buy it. Nobody is making multi-million dollar career decisions based on where the nearest Target is. People act like moving to Starkville is like moving to the Mozambique.
    It's not but it's also stupid to act like Starkville is some metropolis either. We're probably the 10th or 11th best SEC town. Fayetteville is much better than Starkville. And Ft. Worth blows them both out of the water by a mile.

One of the main problems in Starkville is that it's a cool town on a Saturday in the Fall or a warm Saturday afternoon in the Spring. But for the most part, it's a dull town the rest of the time. It's a nice place to raise a family, but there's little to no job opportunities for young adults other than working for the university or being a doctor or a lawyer. That's the difference in Starkville and somewhere like Fayetteville, Athens, Knoxville, or even Tuscaloosa.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 01-18-2023 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    I don't think I said otherwise. But he got cold feet and backed out. I just put the other in there because it was said on here. Didn't say that was why

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It's not but it's also stupid to act like Starkville is some metropolis either. We're probably the 10th or 11th best SEC town. Fayetteville is much better than Starkville. And Ft. Worth blows them both out of the water by a mile.

One of the main problems in Starkville is that it's a cool town on a Saturday in the Fall or a warm Saturday afternoon in the Spring. But for the most part, it's a dull town the rest of the time. It's a nice place to raise a family, but there's little to no job opportunities for young adults other than working for the university or being a doctor or a lawyer. That's the difference in Starkville and somewhere like Fayetteville, Athens, Knoxville, or even Tuscaloosa.
    Some people like that especially if they are there getting paid 1.8 million per year to be offensive coordinator of a sec school

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    Some people like that especially if they are there getting paid 1.8 million per year to be offensive coordinator of a sec school
    And if you're making 1.8 mil then you can live wherever you want. But to act like Starkville doesn't have glaring deficiencies is just burying your head in the sand. There's no place for young adults to gather and hang out, unless you want to go mingle with the college kids, there's two to three of the boutique type stores in the entire town whereas most SEC towns have 10-12, and again the job market is not very good. You can live wherever you want making the salary we were offering him, but the point I was trying to make is a larger point in that it's hard to recruit talent(athletes, coaches, business professionals, etc) to areas that aren't exciting places to live. Starkville is fun for small kids, college students, and retirees most every day that school is in session. But where the town alienates people is the 24-40 year old demographic.

vCash
    My nephew from Ft. Worth came with his 10yr old son to one of Lemonis?s baseball camps last year. Nephew had never been to Starkville before. I asked nephew what he was going to do while his son at the camp. He replied that he would just ride around and see the sites. I told him not to ride very long looking for the rest of Starkville or he might end up deep in the country.

Nephews father n law and mother n law graduated from State and paid for the trip.

vCash
    But if they can get lots of money to be somewhere else and don't have to uproot their family or move to a place that's not desirable, why would they do it? I'm sure his wife is living quite comfortably... People can be choosy when they're comfortable.

There are only a few places I would move for only 20-30% more money, all things being equal with the job. There are even fewer places my wife would want to move to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchdawg View Post
    My nephew from Ft. Worth came with his 10yr old son to one of Lemonis?s baseball camps last year. Nephew had never been to Starkville before. I asked nephew what he was going to do while his son at the camp. He replied that he would just ride around and see the sites. I told him not to ride very long looking for the rest of Starkville or he might end up deep in the country.

Nephews father n law and mother n law graduated from State and paid for the trip.
    And to a kid Starkville is awesome. I remember how excited I was every time I got to go to Starkville as a kid. Was lucky enough to have a grandparent that lived in Starkville when I was growing up and would get to stay a couple of weeks every summer.

But you make a great point that outside of The District and Main St there's ZILCH. The town is growing and I applaud them for that. Lynn Spruill and Parker Wiseman have both been great mayors that have brought Starkville into the 21st Century. We're still about 15 years behind Oxford though. The new Welcome Center that is being planned has the chance to be huge for the University. The best thing that could happen would be a multi millionaire developer come in and buy out some of those ratty worn down looking apartments past The Bin and all down University and replace them with new mixed use complexes and condos.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Funny thing was the Shit Texas Christian University gave Baylor for Briles. Now they hired him? Interesting move. Winning is addictive.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Starkville is 20 years behind Oxford? Say 50 years behind in money, population, influence, and entertainment.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Starkville is 20 years behind Oxford? Say 50 years behind in money, population, influence, and entertainment.
    I was probably being a little too nice Bucket. We're decades behind Oxford, and you can look no further than some of those asshats on the Board of Alderman. They continually try their best to keep Starkville down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I was probably being a little too nice Bucket. We're decades behind Oxford, and you can look no further than some of those asshats on the Board of Alderman. They continually try their best to keep Starkville down.
    Never forget our elected state officials were mostly OM alums for decades. They actively kept anything that could benefit State out of bills. That has only recently changed. This is another reason Starkville took a big step in the last twenty five years.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Good public schools help also

vCash
    I dated a ole miss girl in college ( 2014)

I guess I?m just biased but Oxford may just slightly be better than starkville but it isn?t by much.

If your a football coach you wouldn?t notice the difference at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PikeDawg15 View Post
    I dated a ole miss girl in college ( 2014)

I guess I?m just biased but Oxford may just slightly be better than starkville but it isn?t by much.

If your a football coach you wouldn?t notice the difference at all.
    You've got maroon colored glasses on. Oxford is decades ahead. It can be your personal preference that it's only slightly better, to each his own there. But Oxford had the gameday condo thing figured out DECADES before Starkville even thought about it. And with that came the nicer restaurants, more bars, and a better economy. All that growth led to more people wanting to make Oxford their permanent homes and relocate there. Another big thing that helps them is their proximity to Memphis. It also helps that their Board of Alderman doesn't actively try to undermine any positive economic growth.

vCash
    So Briles going to TCU. Tells me two things:

1) The majority of this board has no clue what they are talking about saying Briles can't run an Air Raid or modified Air Raid concept

2) To get what you want you have to overpay. If we wanted Briles, which we did and I think would have been a ridiculously good hire, we should have thrown stupid money at him.

If we want to play and compete with the big boys, we are going to have to overpay. Need folks giving to the university. Barbay may turn out fine. But Briles would have been one of the top coordinator hires in this cycle.

For a positive, even though we missed, I'm glad we at least swung instead of keeping the bat on our shoulder.

vCash
    Arkansas has Hired Dan Enos to be their Offensive Coordinator