Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expect some WR to hit the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    We had 6 players catch 40 or more passes. That's a much better job of spreading the ball around and being balanced. Plus, we had another three catch 30 or more.
    Because we use more receivers than other schools. Texas Tech only had 3 guys catch more than 40. Western Kentucky only had 4 guys catch over 40 passes. They both were top teams in passing attempts. We just used more guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Because we use more receivers than other schools. Texas Tech only had 3 guys catch more than 40. Western Kentucky only had 4 guys catch over 40 passes. They both were top teams in passing attempts. We just used more guys.
    To many at times because it kept our better weapons off the field at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Agreed

vCash
    We had 6 players catch 40 or more passes. That's a much better job of spreading the ball around and being balanced. Plus, we had another three catch 30 or more.
    Do you want to spread it around just to spread it around? I'm confused. I just want points and an efficient offense. This guy brings it with a solid running game and one of the most efficient passing games around.

I'm not a rtdfb guy, but I'm excited about what he was able to do in the passing game without a very talented qb. Traditionally the OL and skill guys we've been able to get are more suited to run, so if we can setup an efficient passing attack with that it seems to fit our strengths.

Another plus is he doesn't need a running qb to do it. No injured qb in week 10 or banged up Dak at end of season

vCash
    Agreed
    Heck I know some of our wrs were frustrated because they were having to share reps. I'm trying to think of any other team that used 8-10 different wrs consistently

vCash
    That was always part of Leach's scheme, but I think it had a lot to do with 10 similarly talented receivers like the pirate said himself. Polk wasn't coming off except for breathers in 21

vCash
    Heck I know some of our wrs were frustrated because they were having to share reps. I'm trying to think of any other team that used 8-10 different wrs consistently
    I looked at the top 6 or so and none do. North Carolina only had 2. Although their leading WR caught over 100 balls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    That was always part of Leach's scheme, but I think it had a lot to do with 10 similarly talented receivers like the pirate said himself. Polk wasn't coming off except for breathers in 21
    Yeah Leach has always done that, some were similar but we did have wrs that were better than others that should have had more playing than the others. I always will love Coach Leach but sometimes he spread it among to many, but that was his deal and he was very successful.

vCash
    Do you want to spread it around just to spread it around? I'm confused. I just want points and an efficient offense. This guy brings it with a solid running game and one of the most efficient passing games around.

I'm not a rtdfb guy, but I'm excited about what he was able to do in the passing game without a very talented qb. Traditionally the OL and skill guys we've been able to get are more suited to run, so if we can setup an efficient passing attack with that it seems to fit our strengths.

Another plus is he doesn't need a running qb to do it. No injured qb in week 10 or banged up Dak at end of season
    I don't want a run oriented or run first offense, period. You should only run the ball when you have a numbers advantage. That's not what this new offense does.

vCash
    Yeah Leach has always done that, some were similar but we did have wrs that were better than others that should have had more playing than the others. I always will love Coach Leach but sometimes he spread it among to many, but that was his deal and he was very successful.
    I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall in that we room. I think Bucky is right that they weren't doing what coaches wanted consistently

vCash

Have to find the qb fit. Everything will fall into place if you can get that right. The qb he had is more talented than will

vCash
    I don't want a run oriented or run first offense, period. You should only run the ball when you have a numbers advantage. That's not what this new offense does.
    I agree with you 100%, but I still really like this hire. Barbary will throw it 40 times a game if his run game isn't working or game plan calls for it. The opposite is also true.

He's more of a run to setup pass guy and my preference is the opposite, but he adapts and was probably the best we could get after briles rejected us.

I'm optimistic, but what do I know I'm just a pre middle age software engineer chasing toddlers around a house

vCash
    Well you are out of luck unless you change schools. And pretty limited on what schools you can cheer for then. How about we just do what the defense gives you, which we didn't always do the last 3 years because it was pass only oriented. We didn't always run when the numbers or situation said we should have, so you didn't like what we were doing before the change either?

BTW, I'm a Leach supporter but didn't always agree with what he did and how slowly he was in making changes. You can be objective. I'm not beholding to Air Raid or pass only offenses either. I like it but I like consistency better.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 01-13-2023 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    I agree with you 100%, but I still really like this hire. Barbary will throw it 40 times a game if his run game isn't working or game plan calls for it. The opposite is also true.

He's more of a run to setup pass guy and my preference is the opposite, but he adapts and was probably the best we could get after briles rejected us.

I'm optimistic, but what do I know I'm just a pre middle age software engineer chasing toddlers around a house
    Good post, i agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    only need 6 for a 2 deep. We had about 10.

Interested to see what happens with Tulu, Walley, Rufus and a few others that all seem like a better fit at the slot.
    Tulu, Harvey, and Thomas just got a new lease on life. They're going to be weapons in this offense, all of them. Walley will be our possession guy and we'll have JRob and a couple of the young guys to compete with him for outside touches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Have to find the qb fit. Everything will fall into place if you can get that right. The qb he had is more talented than will
    I don't know. App st qb had better pocket presence and a stronger arm, but missed on a lot of short or medium passes will would've nailed. Will's probably better at reading d and accuracy at the expense of athleticism and deep ball. Pick your poison

vCash
    Well you are out of luck unless you change schools. And pretty limited on what schools you can cheer for then. How about we just do what the defense gives you, which we didn't always do the last 3 years because it was pass only oriented. We didn't always run when the numbers or situation said we should have, so you didn't like what we were doing before the change either?

BTW, I'm a Leach supporter but didn't always agree with what he did and how slowly he was in making changes. You can be objective. I'm not beholding to Air Raid or pass only offenses either. I like it but I like consistency better.
    Taking what the defense gives you is the definition of the Air Raid scheme. The Air Raid is designed to get the ball to guys who are quick and can run in space, and the design of the system creates that space. It's up to the QB to make the decision on which space to get the ball to.

Arnett is the only Power 5 defensive minded head coach hired this off season that is not hiring an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Ryan Walters with Purdue hired Graham Harrell. Luke Fickell with Wisconsin hired Phil Longo. Arnett has decided to go ground and pound instead, and ground and pound is not a recipe for success in modern football. You pass to set up the run in modern football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Tulu, Harvey, and Thomas just got a new lease on life. They're going to be weapons in this offense, all of them. Walley will be our possession guy and we'll have JRob and a couple of the young guys to compete with him for outside touches.
    The jet sweeps and touch passes I saw them run make me happy! I can see Tulu and Zavion eating on those!

vCash
    Taking what the defense gives you is the definition of the Air Raid scheme. The Air Raid is designed to get the ball to guys who are quick and can run in space, and the design of the system creates that space. It's up to the QB to make the decision on which space to get the ball to.

Arnett is the only Power 5 defensive minded head coach hired this off season that is not hiring an Air Raid offensive coordinator. Ryan Walters with Purdue hired Graham Harrell. Luke Fickell with Wisconsin hired Phil Longo. Arnett has decided to go ground and pound instead, and ground and pound is not a recipe for success in modern football. You pass to set up the run in modern football.
    That's false. Taking what the defense gives is a staple of all sports and long before Air Raid. You can take what defense gives you in Air Raid and run the ball. We didn't always do that with Leach either. So he went against that philosophy a good bit. You can take what the defense gives you in a run oriented attack and throw the ball. That's insane logic you are spewing.

Could careless what other coaches are doing. But by your logic Harrell is no longer air raid so he doesn't count. He ran it more than he threw this season.

Y'all just need to follow Air Raid teams if that's all you care about. It's like a cult. And I like Air Raid but I'm not obsessed that it's the only offense that can be and is successful. And Barbay designs plays to get players the ball in space as well. A lot of his attack is about that, that is not just an Air Raid concept.

vCash
    Are we really bringing up Longo? The OC who refused to target Dawson Knox?

Good enough for the bills but not Ole Piss