Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What some of you don't get

vCash

What some of you don't get

When you hire a new HC, he is responsible for the W/L column ultimately. Arnette was hired to win. He wasn't hired to carry on the Leach legacy. He needs to have no excuses for failure which means you let the man do what he thinks is best. He owes us nothing to keep Leech's offense and it's nieve for some of you to think he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    When you hire a new HC, he is responsible for the W/L column ultimately. Arnette was hired to win. He wasn't hired to carry on the Leach legacy. He needs to have no excuses for failure which means you let the man do what he thinks is best. He owes us nothing to keep Leech's offense and it's nieve for some of you to think he does.
    What I guess some of you don't understand is that my concern has nothing to do with Leach's legacy or his offense. It is about W's and L's.

The offense that we are about to be running is vastly different than what we have run the last 3 years. There will be different weight training, offseason workouts and most importantly personnel needed to run this offense.

I think we will have a salty defense next year, assuming we can replace a few key pieces. Offensively, we just need to be above average and maybe this will do that, but changing styles so much, could be 2018 all over again.

To be clear, I like the offensive system he runs. I just don't know if we have the personnel to run it.

vCash
    I get it and agree. Seems like a pretty big departure in philosophy to me tho ... but I ain't sure yet. Right now we got a lot of folks coming back and could have a better year than this year maybe ... we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    What I guess some of you don't understand is that my concern has nothing to do with Leach's legacy or his offense. It is about W's and L's.

The offense that we are about to be running is vastly different than what we have run the last 3 years. There will be different weight training, offseason workouts and most importantly personnel needed to run this offense.

I think we will have a salty defense next year, assuming we can replace a few key pieces. Offensively, we just need to be above average and maybe this will do that, but changing styles so much, could be 2018 all over again.

To be clear, I like the offensive system he runs. I just don't know if we have the personnel to run it.
    You are basing all of your concern on the assumption that we are going to run the exact same offense as app state. Some coaches do adapt....

vCash

We didn't have the personnel to run the air raid either or what Dan wanted when he first got here. Next year will have to be a hybrid O if we are smart and split the difference. Our D is good enough if the O can just be OK we'll win 6-7 again, no issue.

vCash

Nah, that's over the top. We need TEs and a QB(to back up Will or compete). He's put up points, so he will figure it out. Workouts won't change. Same guy is running that. Just different guys and body types coming. We won't see a roster full of slot guys anymore, and that's a positive.

vCash

This is a strong staff IMO.

Nah, that's over the top. We need TEs and a QB(to back up Will or compete). He's put up points, so he will figure it out. Workouts won't change. Same guy is running that. Just different guys and body types coming. We won't see a roster full of slot guys anymore, and that's a positive.

vCash
    It goes back to the JoMo years. Not running what suited the players you had. Just a wait and see on my part

vCash
    Dead on cowbell. CZA gotta run what he thinks best. I don't even know what that is yet but I hope it has more balance and less predictability and exploits another teams weakness. New coach has always meant changes in plays and philosophy.

vCash
    You are basing all of your concern on the assumption that we are going to run the exact same offense as app state. Some coaches do adapt....
    You don't hire a guy to run an offense he isn't comfortable running. That makes zero sense. Sure you adapt your offense to the players you have, but he is running his offense, otherwise - why in the hell would you hire him.

Its not like Arnett has an offensive system that he wants the new OC to run.

I expect us to run an offense similiar to what Central Michigan and App State have run. Its roughly a 60/40 run offense that is efficient passing the ball off play action

vCash
    You don't hire a guy to run an offense he isn't comfortable running. That makes zero sense. Sure you adapt your offense to the players you have, but he is running his offense, otherwise - why in the hell would you hire him.

Its not like Arnett has an offensive system that he wants the new OC to run.

I expect us to run an offense similiar to what Central Michigan and App State have run. Its roughly a 60/40 run offense that is efficient passing the ball off play action
    You also don't hire a HC and tell him what offense to run

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    We didn't have the personnel to run the air raid either or what Dan wanted when he first got here. Next year will have to be a hybrid O if we are smart and split the difference. Our D is good enough if the O can just be OK we'll win 6-7 again, no issue.
    My concern is that you are 100% right. This would be a waste of a season, especially considering the defense should be really good and the schedule is way more favorable. We have a legit shot at 10 wins and after next year, we lose a ton of players that will have used up their extra covid year.

Next year has the potential to be a 10 win season - i don't want to go through a 2018 or 2020 season while we adjust our entire offense.
    Last edited by HancockCountyDog; 01-12-2023 at 11:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desoto1967 View Post
    It goes back to the JoMo years. Not running what suited the players you had. Just a wait and see on my part
    JoMo could have adapted his offense to what we had. Hud and the OL coach under JoMo tried to show him that. That's why we beat the snot outta AU and A&M that year. JoMo flat out refused to change his scheme to accommodate what he had on his roster.

vCash
    I need more research but I share your concerns. I'm not seeing tempo, I'm not seeing multiple formations, I'm not seeing creative QB runs which is good for Will but not good long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You also don't hire a HC and tell him what offense to run
    Don't you wish we had told JOMO what offense to run?

My concern is that coaches can be hard headed and will waste a potentially really good defense while we completely overhaul the offense. I was all for adapting our offense to have more run plays, that was essential, but this is going from Air Raid to Ground and Pound.

Any objective look at the stats at Central Michigan and App State would confirm that.

The one thing I do like though is that he has not required a running QB.

vCash

My concern is that coaches can be hard headed and will waste a potentially really good defense while we completely overhaul the offense. I was all for adapting our offense to have more run plays, that was essential, but this is going from Air Raid to Ground and Pound.

Any objective look at the stats at Central Michigan and App State would confirm that.

No, I think a HC should be able to do it exactly how he wants. I have very little patience though, so I wouldn't tell him to fire an OC or something later... I'd just fire him. If we believed in ZA as the HC, then I want him to have full reign to sink or swim

vCash

The good news is, if he sucks, Arnett can go find a new OC. That's the upside of a defensive head coach

vCash

Most of us told everyone on this board Multiple Times when we hired Leach that we would be right here where we are today. Obviously, no one expected Leach to pass away. Most of us figured he'd be here 5 years at max and then we would be revamping the offense. Well, it's happened just like we said it would. That offense was run by one person in the world. MSU recruits players that spend their entire lives running a run spread type offense.
    Had Mullen been a better play caller and not scared to death, we would have played in the SECCG a couple times with his offense. And no, I'm not saying run the Mullen offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The good news is, if he sucks, Arnett can go find a new OC. That's the upside of a defensive head coach
    Imagine that!!! Brilliant simplicity!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Downside is that you have so many more offensive schemes and terminology, that when one leaves you have to rebuild the offensive roster and learn a new language.