Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hired - App State OC Kevin Barbay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Which further reiterates why CZA shouldn't have destroyed the whole offensive scheme and staff.........
    So what should he have done given the timeline? Hire a lesser OC that's not ready or underperforms just because they run a similar scheme?

This isn't a normal timeline. Our coach died when we had no AD. CZA did an awesome jobs filling out staff, keeping players and finding an up and coming OC with a proven (yet short) track record that also happens to fit our players (minus the TEs which would've been a problem with any OC)

ETA: he didn't blow up our offensive staff. 2 guys left for OC positions. No one wanted Jr as the OC. We could've promoted hollingshead, but that would be a hell of a reach. He's an up and comer for WKU much less SEC big time. The only coach you can say he ran off that would've been good to keep is Miller and we don't even know the story there
    Last edited by MrCoachKlein; 01-12-2023 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    Here's a novel idea. Maybe just maybe we have an oc that can adapt his offense to the players we have on the roster. Just spitballing here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Here's a novel idea. Maybe just maybe we have an oc that can adapt his offense to the players we have on the roster. Just spitballing here.
    Seriously. That should always be priority.

vCash
    And this guy will definitely do it. I just finished rewatching App State-A&M and this definitely won't be Moorhead 2.0 trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Multiple formations and personnel groups and a wide variety of play calls. Get some TE's from the portal and we'll be ready to roll.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    And this guy will definitely do it. I just finished rewatching App State-A&M and this definitely won't be Moorhead 2.0 trying to fit square pegs into round holes. Multiple formations and personnel groups and a wide variety of play calls. Get some TE's from the portal and we'll be ready to roll.
    I've watched a lot of videos on his offenses today too and you're right the guy is extremely diverse and attacks defenses by exploiting their weaknesses whether that be by land or air. I love the diversity he brings. Players should be excited

vCash
    I've watched a lot of videos on his offenses today too and you're right the guy is extremely diverse and attacks defenses by exploiting their weaknesses whether that be by land or air. I love the diversity he brings. Players should be excited
    I like that. Always liked how the patriots would throw it 50 times a game against Pitt when they knew they couldn't run. Went full air raid then next week would play a team that couldn't stop the run and do that 40 times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    I like that. Always liked how the patriots would throw it 50 times a game against Pitt when they knew they couldn't run. Went full air raid then next week would play a team that couldn't stop the run and do that 40 times.
    Right, you need an offense that can morph. I'm not saying Barbay is the be all end all but he is very diverse in what he does and that's promising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Half the passes, double the downfield shots. Like the pistol formations also, but that play action ain't gonna fool anyone.

Rogers in that offense ( with zero TE's on the roster by the way) will be worse than Fitz trying to run Moorhead's stuff.

A rebuild when we have so many pieces returning. Looks like 2018 all over again
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    This hire will be a total bust. Our offense will rank in the bottom part of the sec next year. Very vanilla offense. Appalachian State has finished in the top 30 in offense the last 3 years. This guy didn’t do anything special this year. Love arnett though.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Rogers in that offense ( with zero TE's on the roster by the way) will be worse than Fitz trying to run Moorhead's stuff.

A rebuild when we have so many pieces returning. Looks like 2018 all over again
    This is not true. This offense will actually fit Will really well. It doesn't require the QB to run or even be that mobile at all. Granted we all wish Will was way more mobile, he can still run this offense really well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    This is not true. This offense will actually fit Will really well. It doesn't require the QB to run or even be that mobile at all. Granted we all wish Will was way more mobile, he can still run this offense really well.
    Where are you gonna get 3 SEC quality TE's between now and then?
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawsonmsu View Post
    This hire will be a total bust. Our offense will rank in the bottom part of the sec next year. Very vanilla offense. Appalachian State has finished in the top 30 in offense the last 3 years. This guy didn’t do anything special this year. Love arnett though.
    Troll. Go fund Lane’s 9 mil.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Where are you gonna get 3 SEC quality TE's between now and then?
    Portal? Fwiw, 2 of Central Michigan's TE's were similar in size to Antonio Harmon. But who's to say he want just adapt to the current personal as much as possible?

vCash
    So what should he have done given the timeline? Hire a lesser OC that's not ready or underperforms just because they run a similar scheme?

This isn't a normal timeline. Our coach died when we had no AD. CZA did an awesome jobs filling out staff, keeping players and finding an up and coming OC with a proven (yet short) track record that also happens to fit our players (minus the TEs which would've been a problem with any OC)

ETA: he didn't blow up our offensive staff. 2 guys left for OC positions. No one wanted Jr as the OC. We could've promoted hollingshead, but that would be a hell of a reach. He's an up and comer for WKU much less SEC big time. The only coach you can say he ran off that would've been good to keep is Miller and we don't even know the story there
    There are a ton of candidates out there that ran some version of the air raid that I'm sure were qualified. Just go look at some of the names mentioned on this board the last few weeks but I'm sure they were all less qualified, rolls eyes. We'll see what transpires and maybe he will adapt but we'll find out in a few weeks I guess.
    Last edited by Saltydog; 01-12-2023 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    Wills definitely not as mobile in the pocket as the app qb, but he also won't miss on some of throws that qb did. As long as he can throw a deep ball with his feet set we'll be OK. Need 21 Rodgers not 22.

TEs were must with any OC we hired

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 662dawg View Post
    Portal? Fwiw, 2 of Central Michigan's TE's were similar in size to Antonio Harmon. But who's to say he want just adapt to the current personal as much as possible?
    He better, but actions speak. He has always seemed to be in the same personal groupings

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Wills definitely not as mobile in the pocket as the app qb, but he also won't miss on some of throws that qb did. As long as he can throw a deep ball with his feet set we'll be OK. Need 21 Rodgers not 22.

TEs were must with any OC we hired
    I agree that Will wouldn't have missed some of those passes & I'm not a huge fan of Will 2022 but he's a much better passer than the app QB. A little more mobile than Will but he wasn't exactly Lamar Jackson either ha

vCash

And you think this guy isn't a lesser? Your own words say it. *(yet short)*

Yes. He did let the staff go. It's why they took new positions.

Per App St. This was a fast hire that cost MSU $900K. A total of 18 hours went into an interview and hire at a price tag of $900K

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    He better, but actions speak. He has always seemed to be in the same personal groupings
    He's got a great track record thus far so we'll see.

Our 500th Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSailsDawg View Post
    And you think this guy isn't a lesser? Your own words say it. *(yet short)*

Yes. He did let the staff go. It's why they took new positions.

Per App St. This was a fast hire that cost MSU $900K. A total of 18 hours went into an interview and hire at a price tag of $900K
    This was not a panic hire. I'm almost sure he was the second OC offered. Sounds like it was a well ran process with several interviews & Barbary really impressed them.