Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OC Hired - App State OC Kevin Barbay

vCash
    Moorhead brought a QB with him. Any way this guy does?

vCash
    Outside of Arnett landing Kingsbury, many of you were determined to be "meh" on this after Briles. What else do you want the guy to do? Great job, Arnett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    People around here have been saying our in-state recruits are more suitable for this style of offense. The coaching staff is going all in on MS recruits. We hire Barbay as OC. It's all coming together. Arnett sees what's being offered in this state and got an offense to go with it.
    There's only about 20 max in any given year that are SEC players. MS doesn't produce a lot of in-state Olinemen that are SEC quality. We do produce WRs and RBs, which OM gets most of the WRs (need to stop that). MS also doesn't produce a lot of top notch QBs either. And any highly rated prospects we still have to compete with Bama, LSU, AU on top of OM. So IMO ... we need a wider net which is one of the things Leach and his staff brought to the table.

So I ain't getting the offensive emphasis on MS for recruiting, other than WRs & RBs. Gonna have to mostly recruit out of state for Olinemen and QBs IMO. Defense is another story tho.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-12-2023 at 12:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    We don?t give a **** if you get excited or not.. How?s that ...
    Eat. Shit. How is that?

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    There's only about 20 max in any given year that are SEC players. MS doesn't produce a lot of in-state Olinemen that are SEC quality. We do produce WRs and RBs, which OM gets most of the WRs (need to stop that). MS also doesn't produce a lot of top notch QBs either. And any highly rated ones we still have to compete with Bama, LSU, AU on top of OM. So IMO ... we need a wider net which is one of the things Leach and his staff brought to the table.

So I ain't getting the offensive emphasis on MS for recruiting, other than WRs & RBs. Gonna have to mostly recruit out of state for Olinemen and QBs IMO. Defense is another story tho.
    Leach recruited at the same level as every other coach we have ever had recruited at…..and we are going to be absolutely fine with Friend recruiting Olinemen. He is an exceptional recruiter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    There's only about 20 max in any given year that are SEC players. MS doesn't produce a lot of in-state Olinemen that are SEC quality. We do produce WRs and RBs, which OM gets most of the WRs (need to stop that). MS also doesn't produce a lot of top notch QBs either. And any highly rated ones we still have to compete with Bama, LSU, AU on top of OM. So IMO ... we need a wider net which is one of the things Leach and his staff brought to the table.

In addition to being a good OL coach- Friend was brought in for his Alabama connections as well. Bama has given us some real good guys over the years.

Locking up as many of the best in Mississippi gives your team depth. They may not be stars all the time but it gives you guys that can play pretty well and make your team more solid on down the line
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    How much does this guy use tempo?

And Will being an immobile QB is still worrisome, yes? Regardless of offensive scheme?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mo7888 View Post
    Post less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Outside of Arnett landing Kingsbury, many of you were determined to be "meh" on this after Briles. What else do you want the guy to do? Great job, Arnett.
    Actually, I didn't like the Briles hire.

vCash
    Half the passes, double the downfield shots. Like the pistol formations also, but that play action ain't gonna fool anyone.

Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 01-12-2023 at 12:46 PM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Half the passes, double the downfield shots. Like the pistol formations also, but that play action ain't gonna fool anyone.

Not bad. I do hope things go well for Barbay. It will be interesting how our offense looks next year in comparison. And I sincerely want Arnett to succeed as a HC even tho I had hoped for a modified version of the air raid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    Not bad. I do hope things go well for Barbay. It will be interesting how our offense looks next year in comparison. And I sincerely want Arnett to succeed as a HC even tho I had hoped for a modified version of the air raid.
    Count me in the same camp as you. Hopes for more of a hybrid air raid coach. Really want Arnett to succeed I really like him. If Barbay is a good OC he will adjust to his players and not try to force a square peg in a round hole and slowly transition to his style. We will see. It should be apparent pretty quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    How much does this guy use tempo?

And Will being an immobile QB is still worrisome, yes? Regardless of offensive scheme?

Tempo a lot. He doesn't really run his QBs a ton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    only fear for Will is having to throw deep on play action
    I just shuddered at the thought

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Well, he ain't no Mike Bobo.*****
    We should all be excited at the very least for no other reason than it's not Mike Bobo!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    When I looked at next year's schedule, and what the other teams had returning, I was hoping we could find 8 wins again but expecting 7 wins.
    Arkansas will be better.
    aTm will be a tough win
    South Carolina at their place.... very tough
    LSU
    Bama

Hard to find 9 wins when you look at that schedule. If we win 7 I'll say we won as many as we would have if Leach were still here.

Arkansas isn?t going to exactly be better. They had a horrible defense this year and lost one of the best defensive coordinators in the country. Their defensive talent will take 2-3 years to get on our level of defense. All of their talented players are on offense

vCash
    In addition to being a good OL coach- Friend was brought in for his Alabama connections as well. Bama has given us some real good guys over the years.

Locking up as many of the best in Mississippi gives your team depth. They may not be stars all the time but it gives you guys that can play pretty well and make your team more solid on down the line
    Will Friend recruits FL, GA, and TN. Those are where his connections are. He softens the blow of losing Mason a bit in GA. Mason was very well liked and respected throughout that state of GA.

vCash
    We were a top half SEC offense the 2nd half of Mullen's tenure. We werent under Leach
    Well mullen had an all pro qb and the sec all team leading rusher for a qb. Leach never had anything close to an nfl qb here. Give leach Dak.

Point is. We need a big time qb regardless of system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Will Friend recruits FL, GA, and TN. Those are where his connections are. He softens the blow of losing Mason a bit in GA. Mason was very well liked and respected throughout that state of GA.
    Friend played at Bama, coached at West Alabama, Tuscaloosa Central HS, UAB, and Auburn. He has alot of Bama connections

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Well mullen had an all pro qb and the sec all team leading rusher for a qb. Leach never had anything close to an nfl qb here. Give leach Dak.

Point is. We need a big time qb regardless of system.
    Leach had the chance to portal Rogers the last 2 years and didnt do it. He had who he wanted