Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
I just think the assumption that our players are too deficient mentally and / or physically to run this offense is a big stretch.

I had no problem with Kittley but he wasn't coming and never was. Bringing him up doesn't do anything for your argument. He is a non-entity in our OC search once he let us know he wasn't interested.

So the question is where do you go from there? You gauge the interest of who fits what you want and you can legitimately hire. When you strip away the ones who are not interested you get the best guy you can. Air Raid is irrelevant at that point. And honestly the candidates left who would consider being OC for us and run Air Raid, were not available. Hatcher wasn't coming, we didn't contact him and he didn't contact us because he is not giving up running a program. Harrell was already under contract elsewhere. Arbuckle, you cannot consider him at this point. He was an assistant in HS just 2 years ago, a quality analysis in 2021 and 1 year as OC following Kittley and with Helton making sure of the game plan. Way too risky. He may be great but you cannot take that risk. So who?
Honestly I would have gone Arbuckle. No it's not without risk but I believe if a guy is talented his age doesn't matter. Gus Mahlzahn was hired by Arkansas as OC straight out of high school. Wazzu certainly isn't worried about his age. I value scheme fit and coaching talent over experience. I just think Arbuckle is a very talented coach.