Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How is our basketball team gonna improve?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You can just quit watching basketball. We are a well coached team that doesn't have a single shooter on it. You can do a lot of things on offense with one good post player and one good shooter. It gets much harder when you have one good post player and no shooters, and basically impossible when the one good post player can't hit FTs at a >70% clip.

And as much as people are claiming it's so easy to teach college players how to shoot, I'm having trouble coming up with a lot of examples of poor shooters just figuring it out in college. It seems like people either have it or they don't. I've seen players with shitty form shoot pretty well and players with beautiful form not be able to make shit. Certainly better form and better shooting are correlated, but it doesn't seem as easy as just taking a player and having him do some extra shooting drills and fixing them.
    Excellent post!

vCash
    Great thread to illuminate the lack of basketball IQ on this board. It was a miracle what Jans did in the non-conference. Now getting better talent is 100% on him going forward and I do not care what the ranking say we have a few guys coming in that can fill it up. Our guards are extremely mediocre and that must change. If we somehow slip in the tourney this year it will be the greatest coaching job in state history and it won't be close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YazooDawg23 View Post
    Great thread to illuminate the lack of basketball IQ on this board. It was a miracle what Jans did in the non-conference. Now getting better talent is 100% on him going forward and I do not care what the ranking say we have a few guys coming in that can fill it up. Our guards are extremely mediocre and that must change. If we somehow slip in the tourney this year it will be the greatest coaching job in state history and it won't be close.
    Who do we have coming in that can fill it up and where are you getting that from? I've watched film on all our new guys coming in and really haven't seen fill it up talent.

Adrian Myers averaged 16 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 assist out of high school
    Jaquan Scott averaged 8.2. ppg and 4.9 rebounds in JUCO
    Lorenzo (Trey) Fort initially played at Tennesse Marting and averaged 2.6 ppg. He did transfer to JUCO where he averaged 26 ppg so possibly him?
    Gai Chol 7 foot big man, he is probably our best recruit.. he had some pretty good offers but he is also still a work in progress

Jans will have to hit the portal hard because I doubt we get alot our of our recruiting class. I hope I'm wrong

vCash
    What's crazy is that Tolu's FT% is down 13 points from last year (65 to 52) and DJs is down 20 points (73 to 52). Problem is those 2 guys have taken 158 of our 309 FT attempts. I mean has Jans done something to disrupt their mechanics or something? That is a huge disparity from one year to the next. And while I don't see the numbers for SEC play only I'm sure the discrepancy is even much worse.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 01-13-2023 at 01:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    We have 3 3-stars and an UR player signed. We're 10th in the sec in composite, but the teams we're ahead of only have 1 commit or 2. Our avg per recruit is worst in the sec. In fact our avg per recruit is the worst in the sec since 2020 mizzou.

ETA... in 2020 mizzou only signed 1 guy. The last time a school signed 3 or more with an avg per recruit at 86 or lower was South Carolina in 2016.
    Were not with the current talent. We have to get players like Cam Matthews.....BUT, they have to be able to shoot. Indeed, Howland's strength was recruiting, but hopefully won't be Jans weakness.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    to improve, all they have to do is get really good at hitting 15 foot shots.
    Downvotes_Hype